Place-related neuronal activity in the monkey parahippocampal gyrus and hippocampal formation during virtual navigation
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 113–130, January 2014
How to Cite
Furuya, Y., Matsumoto, J., Hori, E., Boas, C. V., Tran, A. H., Shimada, Y., Ono, T. and Nishijo, H. (2014), Place-related neuronal activity in the monkey parahippocampal gyrus and hippocampal formation during virtual navigation. Hippocampus, 24: 113–130. doi: 10.1002/hipo.22209
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 OCT 2013 11:44AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2013
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B). Grant Number: 25290005
- JSPS Asian Core Program
- the Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture
- National Bio-Resource Project (NBRP) “Japanese Monkeys” of the MEXT, Japan
- 1996. The parahippocampus subserves topographical learning in man. Cereb Cortex 6:823–829. , , , .
- 2002. Humans with hippocampus damage display severe spatial memory impairments in a virtual Morris water task. Behav Brain Res 132:77–84. , , , , .
- 2000. The neuroanatomical correlates of route learning impairment. Neuropsychologia 38:820–836. , , , .
- 2006. The boundary vector cell model of place cell firing and spatial memory. Rev Neurosci 17:71–97. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Do animals have cognitive maps? J Exp Biol 199:219–224. .
- 2003. Positional firing properties of postrhinal cortex neurons. Neuroscience 119:577–588. , .
- 2013. How vision and movement combine in the hippocampal place code. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110:378–383. , , , .
- 1987. The use of visual landmarks by honey bees: Bees weight landmarks according to their distance from the goal. J Comp Physiol 161:469–475. , , , .
- 2006. Conjunctive effects of reward and behavioral episodes on hippocampal place-differential neurons of rats on a mobile treadmill. Hippocampus 16:586–595. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Hippocampal representation in place learning. J Neurosci 10:3531–3542. , , .
- 1995. Neuronal activity in the primate hippocampal formation during a conditional association task based on the subject's location. J Neurosci 15(7, Part 1):4952–4969. , , , .
- 2003. Cellular networks underlying human spatial navigation. Nature 425:184–188. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Parahippocampal and retrosplenial contributions to human spatial navigation. Trends Cogn Sci 12:388–396. .
- 1999. The parahippocampal place area: Recognition, navigation, or encoding? Neuron 23:115–125. , , , .
- 2003. Viewpoint-specific scene representations in human parahippocampal cortex. Neuron 37:865–876. , , .
- 2005. Learning places from views: Variation in scene processing as a function of experience and navigational ability. J Cogn Neurosci 17:73–83. , , .
- 2007a. Visual scene processing in familiar and unfamiliar environments. J Neurophysiol 97:3670–3683. , , , .
- 2007b. Where am I now? Distinct roles for parahippocampal and retrosplenial cortices in place recognition. J Neurosci 27:6141–6149. , , .
- 2007. Functional neuroanatomy of the parahippocampal region in the rat: The perirhinal and postrhinal cortices. Hippocampus 17:709–722. , , , .
- 2007. Hippocampal remapping and grid realignment in entorhinal cortex. Nature 446:190–194. , , , , .
- 1990. The Organization of Learning. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 1999. Spatial view cells in the primate hippocampus: Allocentric view not head direction or eye position or place. Cereb Cortex 9:197–212. , , .
- 1997. Mental navigation along memorized routes activates the hippocampus, precuneus, and insula. Neuroreport 8:739–744. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Spatial deficits in a virtual water maze in amnesic participants with hippocampal damage. Hippocampus 20:481–491. , , , .
- 1996. Dynamics of mismatch correction in the hippocampal ensemble code for space: Interaction between path integration and environmental cues. J Neurosci 16:8027–8040. , , .
- 2000. Brain activation during human navigation: Gender-different neural networks as substrate of performance. Nat Neurosci 3:404–408. , , , , .
- 2004. Selective hippocampal damage in rhesus monkeys impairs spatial memory in an open-field test. Hippocampus 14:808–818. , , .
- 2003. The well-worn route and the path less traveled: Distinct neural bases of route following and wayfinding in humans. Neuron 37:877–888. , , , .
- 2005. Rats are able to navigate in virtual environments. J Exp Biol 208 (Part 3):561–569. , , , , .
- 2005. Place-related neural responses in the monkey hippocampal formation in a virtual space. Hippocampus 15:991–996. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Integration of the sensory inputs to place cells: What, where, why, and how? Hippocampus 17:775–785. .
- 1993. Spatial selectivity of unit activity in the hippocampal granular layer. Hippocampus 3:165–182. , .
- 2002. Human hippocampus and viewpoint dependence in spatial memory. Hippocampus 12:811–820. , , , , .
- 2008. Finite scale of spatial representation in the hippocampus. Science 321:140–143. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Task-dependent representations in rat hippocampal place neurons. J Neurophysiol 78:597–613. , , , , .
- 2009. Robust conjunctive item-place coding by hippocampal neurons parallels learning what happens where. J Neurosci 29:9918–9929. , , .
- 1990. Spatial firing properties of hippocampal theta cells. J Neurosci 10:1110–1123. , , .
- 1970. Stereotaxic Atlas of the Brain of Macaca fuscata. Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press. , .
- 2004. Detecting location-specific neuronal firing rate increases in the hippocampus of freely-moving monkeys. Brain Res 1014:97–109. , , , .
- 1996. Learning to find your way: A role for the human hippocampal formation. Proc R Soc Lond B 263:1745–1750. , , .
- 1997. Recalling routes around London: Activation of the right hippocampus in taxi drivers. J Neurosci 15:7103–7110. , , .
- 1998. Knowing where and getting there: A human navigation network. Science 280:921–924. , , , , , .
- 1999. Spatial- and task-dependent neuronal responses during real and virtual translocation in the monkey hippocampal formation. J Neurosci 19:2381–2393. , , , , , .
- 1983. The contributions of position, direction, and velocity to single unit activity in the hippocampus of freely-moving rats. Exp Brain Res 52:41–49. , , .
- 2011. Distances between real-world locations are represented in the human hippocampus. J Neurosci 31:1238–1245. , , , .
- 2006. Roles of egocentric and allocentric spatial representations in locomotion and reorientation. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn 32:1274–1290. , , , .
- 1987. The effects of changes in the environment on the spatial firing of hippocampal complex-spike cells. J Neurosci 7:1951–1968. , .
- 1987. Spatial firing patterns of hippocampal complex-spike cells in a fixed environment. J Neurosci 7:1935–1950. , ,
- 1996. Geometric determinants of the place fields of hippocampal neurons. Nature 381:425–428. , .
- 1971. The hippocampus as a spatial map. Preliminary evidence from unit activity in the freely-moving rat. Brain Res 34:171–175. , .
- 1978. The Hippocampus as a Cognitive Map. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 570 p. , .
- 1993. Monkey hippocampal neurons related to spatial and nonspatial functions. J Neurophysiol 70:1516–1529. , , , .
- 2009. Different roles of the parahippocampal place area (PPA) and retrosplenial cortex (RSC) in panoramic scene perception. Neuroimage 47:1747–1756. , .
- 2008. Internally generated cell assembly sequences in the rat hippocampus. Science 321:1322–1327. , , , .
- 2013. Multisensory control of hippocampal spatiotemporal selectivity. Science 340:1342–1346. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. View-responsive neurons in the primate hippocampal complex. Hippocampus 5:409–424. , .
- 2005. Reward-spatial view representations and learning in the primate hippocampus. J Neurosci 25:6167–6174. , .
- 2004. I have often walked down this street before: fMRI studies on the hippocampus and other structures during mental navigation of an old environment. Hippocampus 14:826–835. , , , , .
- 2007. Cytoarchitectonic and chemoarchitectonic subdivisions of the perirhinal and parahippocampal cortices in macaque monkeys. J Comp Neurol 500:973–1006. , , .
- 2008. Factors affecting the hippocampal BOLD response during spatial memory. Behav Brain Res 187:433–441. , .
- 1993. An information-theoretic approach to deciphering the hippocampal code. Adv Neural Inform Process Syst 5:1030–1037. , , , .
- 2007. The neuroscience of remote spatial memory: A tale of two cities. Neuroscience 149:7–27. , .
- 2009. Human hippocampal CA1 involvement during allocentric encoding of spatial information. J Neurosci 29:10512–10519. , , , , .
- 2008. Dopamine D1 receptor modulates hippocampal representation plasticity to spatial novelty. J Neurosci 28:13390–13400. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Functional cell classes and functional architecture in the early visual system of a highly visual rodent. Prog Brain Res 149:127–145. , , .
- 2002. Human spatial representation: Insights from animals. Trends Cogn Sci 6:376–382. , .
- 1989. Spatial and behavioral correlates of hippocampal neuronal activity. J Neurosci 9:2737–2763. , , .
- 2010. The human parahippocampal cortex subserves egocentric spatial learning during navigation in a virtual maze. Neurobiol Learn Mem 93:46–55. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Human neural systems underlying rigid and flexible forms of allocentric spatial representation. Hum Brain Mapp 34:1070–1087. , .