R.I. and R.K. contributed equally to this work.
Time-dependent enhancement of hippocampus-dependent memory after treatment with memantine: Implications for enhanced hippocampal adult neurogenesis
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Hippocampus Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 24, Issue 7, pages 784–793, July 2014
How to Cite
Ishikawa, R., Kim, R., Namba, T., Kohsaka, S., Uchino, S. and Kida, S. (2014), Time-dependent enhancement of hippocampus-dependent memory after treatment with memantine: Implications for enhanced hippocampal adult neurogenesis. Hippocampus, 24: 784–793. doi: 10.1002/hipo.22270
- Issue online: 19 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 MAR 2014 12:16AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 27 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 25 SEP 2013
- Grant-in-Aids for Scientific Research (B). Grant Numbers: 23300120, 20380078
- Grant-in-Aids for Scientific Research on Priority Areas—Molecular Brain Science. Grant Numbers: 18022038, 22022039
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas (Research in a proposed research area). Grant Numbers: 24116008, 23115716
- Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology (CREST), Japan
- The Sumitomo Foundation
- Japan and the Takeda Science Foundation, Japan
- 1965. Autoradiographic and histological evidence of postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis in rats. J Comp Neurol 124:319–335. , .
- 2004. For the long run: Maintaining germinal niches in the adult brain. Neuron 41:683–686. , .
- 2011. Posttraining ablation of adult-generated neurons degrades previously acquired memories. J Neurosci 31:15113–15127. , , , , .
- 1989. Memantine is a potent blocker of N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor channels. Eur J Pharmacol 166:591–592. .
- 2005. New neurons in the dentate gyrus are involved in the expression of enhanced long-term memory following environmental enrichment. Eur J Neurosci 21:513–521. , , .
- 1993. Differentiation of newly born neurons and glia in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat. Neuroscience 56:337–344. , , , .
- 1997. Aminoadamantanes as NMDA receptor antagonists and antiparkinsonian agents—Preclinical studies. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 21:455–468. , , , , .
- 2007. Aβ oligomers induce neuronal oxidative stress through an N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor-dependent mechanism that is blocked by the Alzheimer drug memantine. J Biol Chem 282:11590–11601. , , , , , , .
- 2012. 4- to 6-week-old adult-born hippocampal neurons influence novelty-evoked exploration and contextual fear conditioning. Hippocampus 22:1188–1201. , , , , .
- 1997. Cellular composition and three-dimensional organization of the subventricular germinal zone in the adult mammalian brain. J Neurosci 17:5046–5061. , , .
- 2000. A cortical-hippocampal system for declarative memory. Nat Rev Neurosci 1:41–50. .
- 1998. Neurogenesis in the adult human hippocampus. Nat Med 4:1313–1317. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Stability of recent and remote contextual fear memory. Learn Mem 13:451–457. , , , , , .
- 2008. Upregulation of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV improves memory formation and rescues memory loss with aging. J Neurosci 28:9910–9919. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Optical controlling reveals time-dependent roles for adult-born dentate granule cells. Nat Neurosci 15:1700–1706. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Neuronal competition and selection during memory formation. Science 316:457–460. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Selective erasure of a fear memory. Science 323:1492–1496. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Rapid extension of axons into the CA3 region by adult-generated granule cells. J Comp Neurol 413:146–154. , .
- 2006. Alzheimer's disease drugs promote neurogenesis. Brain Res 1085:183–188. , , , .
- 2007. Preferential incorporation of adult-generated granule cells into spatial memory networks in the dentate gyrus. Nat Neurosci 10:355–362. , , , .
- 2002. Genetic determinants of adult hippocampal neurogenesis correlate with acquisition, but not probe trial performance, in the water maze task. Eur J Neurosci. 16:129–136. , .
- 2011. Molecular mechanisms for the destabilization and restabilization of reactivated spatial memory in the Morris water maze. Mol Brain 4:9. , , .
- 2009. Effect of ablated hippocampal neurogenesis on the formation and extinction of contextual fear memory. Mol Brain 2:1. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Long-term memory underlying hippocampus-dependent social recognition in mice. Hippocampus 10:47–56. , , .
- 2009. NMDA receptor antagonist memantine promotes cell proliferation and production of mature granule neurons in the adult hippocampus. Neurosci Res 63:259–266. , , , , , .
- 2009. Brain region-specific gene expression activation required for reconsolidation and extinction of contextual fear memory. J Neurosci 29:402–413. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The neuroprotective agent memantine induces brain-derived neurotrophic factor and trkB receptor expression in rat brain. Mol Cell Neurosci 18:247–258. , , , , , .
- 2003. Hippocampal cell genesis does not correlate with spatial learning ability in aged rats. J Comp Neurol. 459:201–207. , , , , .
- 1995. Noncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists with fast open-channel blocking kinetics and strong voltage-dependency as potential therapeutic agents for Alzheimer's dementia. Pharmacopsychiatry 28:113–124. , , .
- 2009. The Alzheimer's disease drug memantine increases the number of radial glia-like progenitor cells in adult hippocampus. Glia 57:1082–1090. , , , , .
- 1999. Enriched environment increases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus and improves spatial memory. J Neurobiol 39:569–578. , , , , .
- 2012. Dysfunction of the RAR/RXR signaling pathway in the forebrain impairs hippocampal memory and synaptic plasticity. Mol Brain 5:8. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Memantine is a clinically well tolerated N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist—A review of preclinical data. Neuropharmacology 38:735–767. , , .
- 1957. Loss of recent memory after bilateral hippocampal lesions. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 20:11–21. , .
- 1990. Neuroprotective effect of memantine demonstrated in vivo and in vitro. Eur J Pharmacol 185:19–24. , , , , .
- 1993. Highly polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM-H) is expressed by newly generated granule cells in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat. J Neurosci 13:2351–2358. , .
- 2001. Astrocytes give rise to new neurons in the adult mammalian hippocampus. J Neurosci 21:7153–7160. , , , .
- 2011. Functional convergence of developmentally and adult-generated granule cells in dentate gyrus circuits supporting hippocampus-dependent memory. Hippocampus 21:1348–1362. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Upregulation of CREB-mediated transcription enhances both short- and long-term memory. J Neurosci 31:8786–8802. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A role for adult neurogenesis in spatial long-term memory. Neuroscience 130:843–852. , , , .
- 2006. NMDA-receptor-mediated, cell-specific integration of new neurons in adult dentate gyrus. Nature 442:929–933. , , , , .
- 1982. Social memory of the male laboratory rat. J Comp Physiol Psychol 96:1000–1006. , .
- 1999. Running enhances neurogenesis, learning, and long-term potentiation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96:13427–13431. , , , .
- 2000. Neuronal consequences of environmental enrichment. Nat Rev Neurosci 1:191–198. , , .
- 2002. Functional neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus. Nature 415:1030–1034. , , , , , .
- 2006. Neuroprotective properties of memantine in different in vitro and in vivo models of excitotoxicity. Eur J Neurosci 23:2611–2622. , , , , .
- 2011. Induction and requirement of gene expression in the anterior cingulate cortex and medial prefrontal cortex for the consolidation of inhibitory avoidance memory. Mol Brain 4:4. , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms and functional implications of adult neurogenesis. Cell 132:645–660. , , .
- 2006. Distinct morphological stages of dentate granule neuron maturation in the adult mouse hippocampus. J Neurosci 26:3–11. , , , , .
- 2009. CREB regulates excitability and the allocation of memory to subsets of neurons in the amygdala. Nat Neurosci 12:1438–1443. , , , , , , , , .