The accessibility of vulnerable groups to health services in Greece: a Delphi study on the perceptions of health professionals
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 35–47, January/March 2013
How to Cite
Karamitri, I., Bellali, T., Galanis, P. and Kaitelidou, D. (2013), The accessibility of vulnerable groups to health services in Greece: a Delphi study on the perceptions of health professionals. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: 35–47. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2115
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2011
- 1993. At Risk in America: The Health and Health Care Needs of Vulnerable Populations in the United States. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco. .
- 1997. Delphi: a technique to harness expert opinion for critical decision-making tasks in education. Educ Psychol 17(4): 373–386. .
- 1997. Poverty and health promotion in primary health care: professionals' perspectives. Health Soc Care Comm 5(5): 309–317. , .
- 2009. Immigrants and health care: access, quality and cost. Med Care Res Rev 66(4): 355–409. , , .
- 2008. Determinants of health care utilization by immigrants in Portugal. BMC Health Serv Res 8: 207. , , .
- 2006. Conducting a critical interpretive synthesis of the literature on access to healthcare by vulnerable groups. BMCl Health Res Methodol 6: 35. , , , et al.
- 2000. Ethics and cross-cultural nursing. J Transcult Nurs 11(2): 119–126. .
- EUGATE. 2011. Work Package n° 7: Identification of best practice models Project Report on Delphi process on best practice of health care for Immigrants, European Best Practices in Access. Quality and Appropriateness of Health Services for Immigrants, EUGATE A/800175.
- European Commission. 2010. Communication from The Commission to The European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: a Digital Agenda for Europe. COM(2010) 245 final/2, Brussel.
- 1984. Consensus methods: characteristics and guidelines for use. Am J Public Health 74(9): 979–983. , , , .
- Fundación Secretariado Gitano. 2009. Health and the Roma Community, analysis of the situation in Europe. Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain. Fundación Secretariado Gitano, Ministerio de Sanidad y Política Social: Madrid.
- 2011. A framework for the evaluation of patient information leaflets. Health Expect. DOI: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00665.x , , .
- 1987. The Delphi technique: a critique. J Adv Nurs 12(6): 729–734. .
- 2000. Research guidelines for the Delphi survey technique. J Adv Nurs 32(4): 1008–1015. , , .
- 2004. Balkan immigrants in the Greek city of Thessaloniki: local processes of incorporation in an international perspective. Eur Urban Reg Stud 11(4): 321–338. .
- Hellenic Statistical Authority. 2011. Facts about unemployment rates (accessed 17/07/2011) http://www.statistics.gr/portal/page/portal/ESYE/PAGE-themes?p_param=A0101
- 2008. Services of health in Greece: measurement of the satisfaction of the health care personnel in private and public sector that concerns the provided services. Vima-Asklipiou 7(4): 344–359. , , , , , .
- 2007. Professional uncertainty and disempowerment responding to ethnic diversity in health care: a qualitative study. PLoS Med 4(11): e323:1766–1775. , , .
- 2003. Access to primary health care for Australian young people: service provider perspectives. Brit J Gen Pract 53(497): 947–952. , , , et al.
- 2007. Do professional interpreters improve clinical care? A systematic review of the literature. Health Serv Res 42(2): 727–754. , , , .
- 2002. Trends in health inequalities by educational level in a Norwegian total population study. J Epidemiol Commun H 56: 375–380. , , .
- Linstone HA, Turoff M (eds). 1975. The Delphi Method: Techniques and Applications. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company: Massachusetts.
- 2008. Socioeconomic inequalities in health in 22 European countries. N Engl J Med 358: 2468–2481. , , , et al.
- 2009. The current situation in the public and private hospitals in Greece. Vima-Asklipiou 8(4): 381–400. , .
- 2003. Delphi: myths and reality. J Health Organ Manag 17(1): 37–52. .
- 1997. Potentially avoidable hospitalizations: Inequality in rates between US socioeconomic groups. Am J Public Health 87(5): 811–816. , , , .
- 2002. The Delphi technique: myths and realities. J Adv Nurs 41(4): 376–382. .
- 2009. Dimensions of service quality and satisfaction in healthcare: a patient's satisfaction index. Serv Bus 3: 85–100. , , .
- 2003. Accessing medication information by ethnic minorities: barriers and possible solutions. Pharm World Sci 25(5): 185–190. , , .
- 1997. Managing Delphi surveys using nonparametric statistical techniques. Decision Sci 28(3): 763–774. .
- 2011. Access to health-care in Canadian immigrants: a longitudinal study of the National Population Health Survey. Health Soc Care Comm 19(1): 70–79. , , , , .
- 2009. The role of health insurance in explaining immigrant versus non-immigrant disparities in access to health care: comparing the United States to Canada. Soc Sci Med 69(10): 1452–1459. , , .
- 2001. Immigrants in the Netherlands: equal access for equal needs? J Epidemiol Commun H 55: 701–707. , , .
- 2011. Sociodemographic and socioeconomic determinants of health services utilisation in Greece: the Hellas Health I study. Health Serv Manag Res 24(1): 8–18. , , , et al.
- Wilkinson R, Marmot M (eds). 2003. Social Determinants of Health: The Solid Facts, (2nd ed). World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe: Copenhagen.
- 2010. Race, socioeconomic status, and health: complexities, ongoing challenges, and research opportunities. Ann NY Acad Sci 1186(1): 69–101. , , , .