Moving towards universal coverage with malaria control interventions: achievements and challenges in rural Burkina Faso
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 102–121, January/March 2013
How to Cite
De Allegri, M., Louis, V. R., Tiendrébeogo, J., Souares, A., Yé, M., Tozan, Y., Jahn, A. and Mueller, O. (2013), Moving towards universal coverage with malaria control interventions: achievements and challenges in rural Burkina Faso. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: 102–121. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2116
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 19 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 2011
- German Research Society
- 2008a. Effectiveness of artemisinin-based combination therapy used in the context of home management of malaria: a report from three study sites in sub-Saharan Africa. Malar J 7: 190. , , , et al.
- 2008b. Feasibility and acceptability of artemisinin-based combination therapy for the home management of malaria in four African sites. Malar J 7: 6. , , , et al.
- 2010a. Improvements in access to malaria treatment in Tanzania following community, retail sector and health facility interventions -- a user perspective. Malar J 9: 163. , , , et al.
- 2010b. Improvements in access to malaria treatment in Tanzania after switch to artemisinin combination therapy and the introduction of accredited drug dispensing outlets - a provider perspective. Malar J 9: 164. , , , et al.
- 1995. Revisiting the behavioural model and access to medical care: does it matter? J. Health Soc. Behav. 36(1): 1–10. .
- 2008. Patterns of malaria: cause-specific and all-cause mortality in a malaria-endemic area of west Africa. Am J Trop Med Hyg 78(1): 106–113. , , , et al.
- 2008. Community perceptions on different delivery mechanisms for insecticide-treated bed nets in rural Burkina Faso. The Open Public Health Journal 1: 17–24. , , , , , .
- 2010. Different delivery mechanisms for insecticide-treated nets in rural Burkina Faso: a provider's perspective. Malar J 9: 352. , , , , , .
- 2009. Equity and coverage of insecticide-treated bed nets in an area of intense transmission of Plasmodium falciparum in Tanzania. Malar J 8: 65. , , , , , .
- 2010. Efficacy of methylene blue monotherapy in semi-immune adults with uncomplicated falciparum malaria: a controlled trial in Burkina Faso. Trop Med Int Health 15(6): 713–717. , , , et al.
- 2007. Self-reported use of anti-malarial drugs and health facility management of malaria in Ghana. Malar J 6: 85. , , , , .
- 2004. Intracluster correlation coefficients in cluster randomized trials: empirical insights into how should they be reported. BMC Med Res Methodol 4: 9. , , .
- 2005. Determinants of the intracluster correlation coefficient in cluster randomized trials: the case of implementation research. Clin Trials 2(2): 99–107. , , .
- 2009. Determinants of household demand for bed nets in a rural area of southern Mozambique. Malar J 8: 132. , , , et al.
- 2009. Reviewing the literature on access to prompt and effective malaria treatment in Kenya: implications for meeting the Abuja targets. Malar J 8: 243. , , , et al.
- 2007, To Enrol or Not to Enrol in Community Health Insurance - Case Study from Burkina Faso. Peter Lang: Frankfurt am Main. .
- 2006. Understanding enrolment in community health insurance in sub-Saharan Africa: population-based case–control study in rural Burkina Faso. Bull. World Health Organ. 84(1): 852–858. , , , et al.
- 2010. Comparative cost analysis of insecticide-treated net delivery strategies: sales supported by social marketing and free distribution through antenatal care. Health Policy Plan 25(1): 28–38. , , , et al.
- 2011. Determinants of utilisation of maternal care services after the abolishment of user fees for antenatal care and the introduction of subsidies for facility-based deliveries in rural Burkina Faso. Health Policy 99(3): 210–218. , , , et al.
- 2008. The differences in characteristics between health-care users and non-users: implication for introducing community-based health insurance in Burkina Faso. Eur J Health Econ 9(1): 41–50. , , , , .
- 2007. Knowledge on malaria transmission and its prevention among schoolchildren in Kyela District, south-western Tanzania. Tanzan. Health Res. Bull. 9(3): 207–210. , .
- 2011. Coverage of malaria protection in pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa: a synthesis and analysis of national survey data. Lancet Infect Dis 11(3): 190–207. , , , et al.
- 2008. A community effectiveness trial of strategies promoting intermittent preventive treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine in pregnant women in rural Burkina Faso. Malar J 7: 180. , , , , , .
- 2009. Community-based promotional campaign to improve uptake of intermittent preventive antimalarial treatment in pregnancy in Burkina Faso. Am J Trop Med Hyg 80(3): 460–469. , , , , , .
- 2010. Mosquito nets in a rural area of Western Kenya: ownership, use and quality. Malar J 9: 250. , , , .
- 2010. Bottlenecks for high coverage of intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy: the case of adolescent pregnancies in rural Burkina Faso. PLoS One 5(8): e12013. , , , et al.
- 1979. Sample selection bias as a specification error. Econometrica 47: 153–161. .
- 2007. Understanding and improving access to prompt and effective malaria treatment and care in rural Tanzania: the ACCESS Programme. Malar J 6: 83. , , , et al.
- 2008. Obstacles to prompt and effective malaria treatment lead to low community-coverage in two rural districts of Tanzania. BMC Public Health 8: 317. , , , et al.
- 2006. Reaching the Abuja target for intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy in African women: a review of progress and operational challenges. Trop Med Int Health 11(4): 409–418. , .
- 2010. Malaria indicator survey 2007, Ethiopia: coverage and use of major malaria prevention and control interventions. Malar J 9: 58. , , , et al.
- 2009. A role for INDEPTH Asian sites in translating research to action for non-communicable disease prevention and control: a case study from Ballabgarh, India. Global Health Action 2: 76–83. , , , .
- 1958. Hawthorne Revisited. Cornell University Press: Ithaca. .
- 2008. Efficacy of amodiaquine in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in young children of rural north-western Burkina Faso. Malar J 7: 58. , , , , .
- 2007. Malaria control in Malawi: are the poor being served? Int J Equity Health 6: 22. , .
- 2009. How equitable is bed net ownership and utilisation in Tanzania? A practical application of the principles of horizontal and vertical equity. Malar J 8: 109. , , , .
- 2007. Knowledge and health information communication in Tanzania. East Afr J Public Health 4(1): 33–39. , , , , , .
- 2007. Intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy: evaluation of a new delivery approach and the policy implications for malaria control in Uganda. Health Policy 81(2–3): 228–241. , , .
- 2004. Child coverage with mosquito nets and malaria treatment from population-based surveys in African countries: a baseline for monitoring progress in roll back malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg 71(Supplement to Issue 2): 232–238. , , , , , .
- 2008. Prospects, achievements, challenges and opportunities for scaling-up malaria chemoprevention in pregnancy in Tanzania: the perspective of national level officers. Malar J 7: 135. , , , et al.
- 2008. Distribution systems of insecticide-treated bed nets for malaria control in rural Burkina Faso: cluster-randomized controlled trial. PLoS One 3(9): e3182. , , , et al.
- 2002. Examining out-of-pocket expenditure on health care in Nouna, Burkina Faso: implications for health policy. Trop Med Int Health 7(2): 187–196. , , , .
- 2001. Effect of zinc supplementation on malaria and other causes of morbidity in West African children: randomised double blind placebo controlled trial. Br Med J 322(7302): 1567. , , , et al.
- 2006. Effects of insecticide-treated bednets during early infancy in an African area of intense malaria transmission: a randomized controlled trial. Bull. World Health Organ. 84(2): 120–126. , , , et al.
- 2009. Malaria in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 373(9658): 122. , , , .
- 2010. Intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy (IPTp): do frequent antenatal care visits ensure access and compliance to IPTp in Ugandan rural communities? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104(8): 536–540. , .
- 2009. Using the INDEPTH HDSS to build capacity for chronic non-communicable disease risk factor surveillance in low and middle-income countries. Global Health Action 2: 7–18. , , , et al.
- 2001. Demographic surveillance and health equity in sub-Saharan Africa. Health Policy Plan 16(4): 337–344. , , , , .
- 2003. Defining equity in physical access to clinical services using geographical information systems as part of malaria planning and monitoring in Kenya. Trop Med Int Health 8(10): 917–926. , , , , .
- 2009. Insecticide-treated net coverage in Africa: mapping progress in 2000-07. Lancet 373(9657): 58–67. , , , , .
- 2010. Geographic inequities in provision and utilization of malaria treatment services in southeast Nigeria: diagnosis, providers and drugs. Health Policy 94(2): 144–149. , , , , , .
- 2011. Does community-based health insurance protect household assets? Evidence from rural Africa. Health Serv Res 47(2): 819–839. , , , , .
- 2009. Knowledge, attitudes and practice about malaria in rural Tigray, Ethiopia. Global Health Action 2. , , , , .
- 2004. Household decision-making on child health care in developing countries: the case of Nepal. Health Policy Plan 19(4): 218–233. , .
- 2010. Illness reporting and demand for medical care in rural Burkina Faso. Soc Sci Med. 70(11): 1693–1700. , , , .
- Programme National de Lutte Contre le Paludisme. 2007. Plan strategique de lutte contre le paludisme 2006–2010. Ministère de la Santé du Burkina Faso: Ouagadougou.
- 2007. Using health and demographic surveillance to understand the burden of disease in populations: the case of tuberculosis in rural South Africa. Scand J Public Health 69: 45–51. , , .
- 2009. Decreasing childhood mortality and increasing proportion of malaria deaths in rural Burkina Faso. Global Health Action 2. , , , et al.
- Roll Back Malaria Partnership. 2008. Global Malaria Action Plan. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- Roll Back Malaria Partnership. 2010, World Malaria Day 2010: Africa Update. UNICEF: Geneva.
- 2009. Determinants of delay in care-seeking for febrile children in eastern Uganda. Trop Med Int Health 14(4): 472–479. , , , , .
- 2009. Piloting the global subsidy: the impact of subsidized artemisinin-based combination therapies distributed through private drug shops in rural Tanzania. PLoS One 4(9): e6857. , , , et al.
- 2010. Determinants of use of intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy: Jinja, Uganda. PLoS One 5(11): e15066. , , , et al.
- 2005. The role of HIV related knowledge and ethnicity in determining HIV risk perception and willingness to undergo HIV testing among rural women in Burkina Faso. AIDS Behav. 9(2): 243–249. , , , et al.
- 1994. Household strategies to cope with the economic cost of illness - a community based study in Burkina Faso. PhD Dissertation. Boston: Harvard School of Public Health. .
- 1994. The elasticity of demand for health care in Burkina Faso: differences across age and income groups. Health Policy Plan 9(2): 185–192. , , .
- 1996. Age bias, but no gender bias, in the intra-household resource allocation for health care in rural Burkina Faso. Health Transit Rev 6: 131–145. , , .
- 2010. The Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) in Nouna, Burkina Faso, 1993–2007. Global Health Action 3. , , , et al.
- 2010. Who gets prompt access to artemisinin-based combination therapy? A prospective community-based study in children from rural Kilosa, Tanzania. PLoS One 5(8): e12104. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012104 , , , et al.
- 2006. Malaria prevention during pregnancy: assessing the disease burden one year after implementing a program of intermittent preventive treatment in Koupela District, Burkina Faso. Am J Trop Med Hyg 75(2): 205–211. , , , et al.
- 2010. Malaria in Africa: progress and prospects in the decade since the Abuja Declaration. Lancet 376(9735): 137–139. , .
- 2009. Is the scale up of malaria intervention coverage also achieving equity? PLoS One 4(12): e8409. , .
- 2006a. Catastrophic household expenditure for health care in a low-income society: a study from Nouna health district, Burkina Faso. Bull. World Health Organ. 84(1): 21–27. , , .
- 2006b. Determinants of household health expenditure on western institutional health care. Eur J Health Econ 7(3): 199–207. , , , .
- 2009. Use of intermittent preventive treatment for malaria by pregnant women in Buea, Cameroon. Acta Trop 112(1): 54–58. , , .
- 2008. Insecticide-treated net ownership and usage in Niger after a nationwide integrated campaign. Trop Med Int Health 13(6): 827–834. , , , et al.
- 2009. Access to malaria treatment in young children of rural Burkina Faso. Malar J 8: 266. , , , et al.
- World Health Organisation. 2000. The Abuja Declaration and the Plan of Action. An Extract from the Africam Summit on Roll Back Malaria, Abuja, April 25th, 2000 (WHO/CDS/RBM/2000.17). World Health Organisation: Abuja.
- World Health Organisation. 2009a. World Malaria Report. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- World Health Organisation. 2009b. World Malaria Report Profiles - 31 High Burden Countries. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- World Health Organisation. 2010. World Malaria Report 2010. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- 2008. Access to artemisinin combination therapy for malaria in remote areas of Cambodia. Malar J 7: 96. , , , , .
- 2008. Safety and efficacy of methylene blue combined with artesunate or amodiaquine for uncomplicated falciparum malaria: a randomized controlled trial from Burkina Faso. PLoS One 3(2): e1630. , , , et al.