A messy reality: an analysis of New Zealand's elective surgery scoring system via media sources, 2000–2006
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 48–62, January/March 2013
How to Cite
Derrett, S., Cousins, K. and Gauld, R. (2013), A messy reality: an analysis of New Zealand's elective surgery scoring system via media sources, 2000–2006. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: 48–62. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2127
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2012
- 2006. Scalpels out over elective surgery ‘scores’. New Zealand Herald. 16 February. .
- 2001. Thousands drop off waiting lists. The Dominion. 3 June. .
- 2000. Money for mental health, waiting lists. The vening Post. 15 June. .
- Controller and Auditor-General. 2011. Progress in Delivering Publicly Funded Scheduled Services to Patients: Performance Audit Report. Office of the Auditor General: Wellington.
- 2006. Govt Pumps Extra $200m into Surgery. The Press. 3 October. .
- 1999. Waiting for elective surgery: effects on health-related quality of life. Int J Qual Health Care 11(1): 47–57. , , .
- 2009. Access to elective surgery in New Zealand: considering equity and the public and private mix. Int J Health Plann Manage 24: 147–160. , , , .
- 2005. Explicit rationing of elective services: implementing the New Zealand reforms. Health Policy 74(1): 1–12. , , , et al.
- 2002. How great expectations in Westminster may be dashed locally: the local implementation of national policy on health inequalities. Policy Polit 30(1): 79–96. , , .
- 2009. Revolving Doors: New Zealand's Health Reforms—The Saga Continues. Institute of Policy Studies and Health Services Research Centre: Wellington. .
- 2000. Solving the surgical waiting list problem? New Zealand's ‘booking system’. Int J Health Plann Manage 15 (4): 259–272. and .
- 1997. The New Zealand priority criteria project. Part 1: overview. BMJ 314: 131–134. , .
- Ham C, Robert G (eds). 2003. Reasonable Rationing: International Experience of Priority Setting in Health Care. Open University Press: Buckingham.
- 2009. Reducing waiting times for hospital treatment: lessons from the English NHS. J Health Serv Res Policy 14: 168–173. , .
- 2006a. Apologies to patients for bungle. The Press. 7 September. .
- 2006b. Change to surgery focus cuts patients. The Press. 16 January. .
- 2002. Implementing Public Policy. Sage Publications: London. , .
- 2004. Thousands of suffering patients dumped from surgery waiting lists. New Zealand Herald. 31 January. .
- 2005a. Nurse shortage delays urgent children's ops; doctors report cancelled surgery at Starship as delays suddenly get worse. New Zealand Herald. 30 March. .
- 2005b. $8.7m boost for cataract surgery. Government aiming for 12,000 or more eye operations every year. New Zealand Herald. 4 May. .
- 2006a. 1800 patients dumped on the quiet. New Zealand Herald. 17 April. .
- 2006b. Waitemata Health still turns away heart cases. New Zealand Herald.1 June. .
- 2006. Surgery at weekends aims to cut waiting list. The Dominion Post. 9 September. .
- 2006. Hospitals around the country are turning away patients in need of non-urgent. New Zealand Herald.13 July. .
- 2010. Policy strategies to reduce waits for elective surgery: a synthesis of international evidence. Br Med Bull 95 (1): 7–32. .
- 2003. Prioritizing patients for elective surgery: a systematic review. ANZ J Surg 73 (8): 633–642. , , .
- 2003. Patients wait longer, latest figures show. The Marlborough Express. 20 January. .
- 2006. Hospital waiting lists—the new cuts. Dominion Post. 13 May. .
- 2001. Surgery delayed as lack of anaesthetists takes toll. The Press. 25 July. .
- 2005. Surgery waiting list still too long. Board cites demand for urgent treatment and staff shortages. Otago Daily Times.26 May. .
- 2004. The sick have to get sicker. Eastern Courier. 19 November. .
- 2004a. Clinicians' reported use of clinical priority assessment criterial and their attitudes to prioritization for elective surgery: a cross-sectional study. ANZ J Surg 74(11): 1003–1009. , , , et al.
- 2004b. Use of, and attitudes to, clinical priority assessment criteria in elective surgery in New Zealand. J Health Serv Res Policy 9(2): 91–99. , , , et al.
- Ministry of Health. 2000. Reduced waiting times for public hospital elective services: government strategy. www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/
- Ministry of Health. 2007. Elective Services Quarterly Report: Quarter Four 2006. Ministry of Health: Wellington.
- Ministry of Health. 2008. Briefing for the Incoming Minister of Health. Ministry of Health: Wellington.
- Ministry of Health. 2011. Elective services: latest summary of patient flow indicators (ESPIs). http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/electiveservices-espi-feb11 (9 June).
- National Advisory Committee on Core Health and Disability Support Services. 1995. Fourth Annual Report to the Minister of Health Honourable Jenny Shipley. Core Services Committee: Wellington.
- New Zealand Press Association. 2003a. Surgery points system blamed. Otago Daily Times. 13 June.
- New Zealand Press Association. 2003b. Waiting list dump detailed by Board. The Press. 31 May.
- New Zealand Press Association. 2006. At least 8000 patients cut from surgery waiting lists. Otago Daily Times. 19 April.
- 2003a. Non-urgent patients to be dumped from lists. The Nelson Mail. 28 June. .
- 2003b. Waiting list purge set to continue. The Nelson Mail. 11 December. .
- Parliamentary Question Time. 2002. New Zealand parliamentary question time—19 Nov. In New Zealand Government.
- 2003. managing waiting lists. In Continuity Amid Chaos: Health Care Management and Delivery in New Zealand, R. Gauld (ed). University of Otago Press: Dunedin. .
- 2003. Thousands wait for treatment. The Press. 17 November. .
- 2006. Where does the waiting list begin? A short review of the dynamics and organization of modern waiting lists. Soc Sci Med 62(12): 3157–3160. , .
- 2006. Aucklanders have to be sicker to get operations. Scoop Independent News. 16 February. .
- Saltman R, Bankauskaite V, Vrangbaek K (eds). 2007. Dentralization in Health Care. Open University Press: Maidenhead.
- 1999. Waiting times and prioritisation for coronary artery bypass surgery in New Zealand. Heart 81: 586–592. , , , , .
- 1996. Policy Guidelines for Regional Health Authorities 1997/97. Ministry of Health: Wellington. .
- 2005. Tackling excessive waiting times for elective surgery: a comparative analysis of policies in 12 OECD countries. Health Policy 72(2): 201–215. , .
- 2004a. Elective surgery at peak times of year may be cut. Otago Daily Times. 27 July .
- 2004b. Waiting list grows as surgery cut. Fewer cataract operations being done. Otago Daily Times. 31 May .
- Staff Reporter. 2003. BUDGET 2003 health billions just keeping pace. New Zealand Herald. 13 May.
- 2007. Denmark: Health System Review. European Union Observatory on Health Systems and Policies: Copenhagen. , , , , .
- 2005. Heart bypass patients endure long wait. New Zealand Herald. 27 July. .
- 2006. Prime minister blames board for waiting list dumpings. The Dominion Post. 19 April. .
- 2003. Surgery cull hits 10,500. The Press. 29 May. .
- 2007. Measuring and reducing waiting times: a cross-national comparison of strategies. Health Aff 26(4): 1078–1087. , , , , , .