Perceptions of the use of complementary therapy and Siddha medicine among rural patients with HIV/AIDS: a case study from India
Article first published online: 9 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 63–84, January/March 2013
How to Cite
Torri, M. C. (2013), Perceptions of the use of complementary therapy and Siddha medicine among rural patients with HIV/AIDS: a case study from India. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: 63–84. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2133
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 9 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAY 2012
- 2007. Antiretroviral therapy abandoned for herbal remedies. Lancet Infect Dis 7(2): 313–319. .
- 2009. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 49(5): 651–681. , , , et al.
- 2001. Antiviral activity against human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) and type 2 (HIV-2) of ethnobotanically selected Ethiopian medicinal plants. Phytother Res 1(5): 62–69. , , , , , .
- 1999. Wide spectrum antibacterial and antifungal activities in the seeds of some coprophilous plants of north Indian plains. J Ethnopharmacol 6(4): 69–77. , , , , .
- 2006. The role of evidence in alternative medicine: contrasting biomedical and anthropological approaches. Soc Sci Med 62(11): 2646–2657. .
- 1996. Regulation of the private health sector in India. Int J Health Plan M 1(1): 253–274. .
- 2004. Health-related correlates of perceived discrimination in HIV care. AIDS Patient Care ST 1(8): 19–26. , , .
- 2005. Evidence-based alternative medicine? Perspect Biol Med 48(4): 502–515. .
- 2003. Antiretroviral treatment in developing countries: the peril of neglecting private providers. Brit Med J 3(6): 1382–1384. .
- 2003. Disclosure of HIV infection in south India: patterns, reasons and reactions. AIDS Care 1(5): 207–215. , , .
- 2008. Containing HIV/AIDS in India: the unfinished agenda. Lancet Infect Dis 6(8): 508–521. , , , , , .
- 2001. Evaluation of Siddha medicare in HIV disease. J Assoc Physician I 4(9): 390–391. , , .
- 2001. The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery. Environ Health Persp 1(9): 69–75. , .
- 2001. Disclosure of HIV status in the workplace: considerations and strategies. Health Soc Work 2(6): 235–244. .
- 2000. The dimensionality of stigma: a comparison of its impact on the self of persons with HIV/AIDS and cancer. J Health Soc Behav 4(1): 50–67. , .
- 2000. Valuation of consumption and sale of forest goods from a Central American rain forest. Nature 40(6): 62–73. , , , et al.
- 2001. The use and safety of non-allopathic Indian medicines. Drug Safety 2(5): 1005–1019. , , , .
- 2006. On evidence and evidence-based medicine: lessons from the philosophy of science. Soc Sci Med 62(11): 2621–2632. .
- 2004. Subtle and profound sensory attributes of medicinal plants among the Kenyah leppo' ke of east Kalimantan, Borneo. J Ethnobiol 2(4): 173–201. .
- 2003. Treatment-seeking Behaviour and the Willingness to Pay for Antiretroviral Therapy of HIV Positive Patients in India. World Bank Editions: Washington. , .
- 2008. Alternative medicines for AIDS in resource-poor settings: insights from exploratory anthropological studies in Asia and Africa. J Ethnobiol Ethnomedicine 4(16): 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1999. Predictors of self-reported adherence in persons living with HIV disease. AIDS Patient Care ST 1(3): 185–917. , , , et al.
- 2004. Defining minimum standards of practice for incorporating African traditional medicine into HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support: a regional initiative in eastern and southern Africa. J Altern Complem Med 10(5): 905–910. , , , , , .
- 1980. Patients and Healers in the Context of Culture. University of California Press: Berkeley. .
- 2007. Experience of initiating collaboration of traditional healers in managing HIV and AIDS in Tanzania. J Ethnobiol Ethnomedicine 3(6): 144–158. , , , , , .
- 2007. Use of traditional medicines in the management of HIV/AIDS opportunistic infections in Tanzania: a case in the Bukoba rural district. J Ethnobiol Ethnomedicine 3(29): 123–134. , , , .
- 2009. In vitro anti-HIV activity of five selected South African medicinal plant extracts. Journal Ethnopharmacol 1(4): 182–188. , , , , , .
- 2003. Natural history of human immunodeficiency virus disease in southern India. Clin Infect Dis 3(6): 79–85. , , , , .
- 2004. Low-cost strategies to monitor highly active antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings. 11th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, San Francisco, CA. .
- 2007. Use of traditional herbal medicine by AIDS patients in Kabarole District, western Uganda. J Trop Med Hyg 7(7): 757–763. , , , .
- 2003. An examination of HIV/AIDS patients who have excellent adherence to HAART. AIDS Care 15(2): 251–261. , , , .
- 2004. Gender as social institution. Soc Forces 82(4): 1249–1273. .
- 2008. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in inner-city persons with or at risk for HIV infection. AIDS Patient Care ST 2(2): 811–816. , , .
- 2005. Impact of African herbal medicines on antiretroviral metabolism. AIDS 1(9): 95–97. , , .
- NACO. 2003. Programme implementation guidelines for a phased scale up of access to antiretroviral therapy for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- 2001. Women's capabilities and social justice. In Gender Justice, Development, and Rights, Maxine M, Shahra R (eds). Oxford University Press: New York. .
- 2007. A locally produced nutritional supplement in community-based HIV and AIDS patients. Int J Palliat Nurs 1(3): 154–162. , , .
- 2003. HIV and AIDS related stigma and discrimination: a conceptual framework and implications for action. Soc Sci Med 5(7): 13–24. , .
- 2009. Sustaining plants and people: traditional Q'eqchi Maya botanical knowledge and interactive spatial modeling in prioritizing conservation of medicinal plants for culturally relative holistic health promotion. EcoHealth 6(3): 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2001. Stigma, bias present barrier in fight against AIDS pandemic. AIDS Policy Law 1(6): 5–15. .
- 1999. Efficacy and effectiveness. Focus Alternat Complement Ther 4(3): 109–115. , .
- 2003. HIV related mental health care: factors influencing dropout among low-income, HIV-positive individuals. AIDS Care 1(5): 207–215. .
- 2006. HIV-related knowledge, attitudes, perceived benefits, and risks of HIV testing among pregnant women in rural southern India. AIDS Patient Care ST 20(11): 803–811. , , , et al.
- 2008. Lead, mercury, and arsenic in US- and Indian-manufactured Ayurvedic medicines sold via the Internet. JAMA 3(2): 915–923. , , .
- 2002. Difficulties encountered with the use of antiretroviral drugs in India. J HIV Ther 7(3): 56–58. , , , , .
- 1995. Epistemology of traditional medicinal knowledge system of India. In Glimpses of Indian Ethnopharmacology, Pushpangadan P, Nyman U, George V (eds). Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute and the Royal Danish School of Pharmacy: Thiruvananthapuram and Copenhagen. .
- 2004. Antiretroviral therapy programme in India. Lancet 363(9416): 123–135. .
- 2006. Anti-HIV substances of natural origin: an updated account. NPR 5(1): 70–78. , , , , .
- 2003. Combating AIDS: Communication Strategies in Action. Sage Publication: New Delhi. , .
- 2005. Investigation on Semecarpus Lehyam—a Siddha medicine for breast cancer. Planta 220(6): 910–918. , , , , , .
- 2000. Gender differences in behavioural and psychological predictors of HIV testing and return for test results in a high-risk population. AIDS Care 1(2): 343–356. , .
- 1997. Siddha medicine: an overview. Lancet 3(5): 1841–1844. .
- 2004. Failure to return for HIV test results among persons at high risk for HIV-infection: results from a multistate interview project. J Acq Immun Def Synd 3(5): 511–517. , , .
- 2008. Siddha medicine—background and principles and the application for skin diseases. Clin Dermatol 26(1): 62–78. .
- 2007. Complementary medicine use among people living with HIV/AIDS in Victoria, Australia: practices, attitudes and perceptions. Int J STD AIDS 1(8): 453–457. , , , , .
- 1987. Traditional Chinese medicine: some historical and epistemological reflections. Soc Sci Med 24(12): 1023–1029. .
- 2002. Herbal medicines for sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS. J Ethnopharmacol 8(2): 49–66. , .
- 2005. Evidence-based medicine and its implications for the profession of chiropractic. Soc Sci Med 6(2): 545–561. .
- UNAIDS. 2008. Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic, 2008. UNAIDS Editions: Geneva.
- World Health Organization (WHO). 2008. Traditional Medicine, Fact Sheet 134. World Health Organisation: Geneva. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs134/en/ (accessed 30 September 2009).
- World Health Organization (WHO). 2002. Scaling up antiretroviral therapy in resource limited settings: guidelines for a public health approach.