Nigerian resident doctors on strike: insights from and policy implications of job satisfaction among resident doctors in a Nigerian teaching hospital
Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages e46–e61, January/March 2013
How to Cite
Akinyemi, O. and Atilola, O. (2013), Nigerian resident doctors on strike: insights from and policy implications of job satisfaction among resident doctors in a Nigerian teaching hospital. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: e46–e61. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2141
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAY 2011
- 1998. The motivation and performance of health staff in Bénin. United Nations Children's Fund: New York. , , .
- 2003. Migration of Health Professionals in Six Countries: A Synthesis Report. Brazzaville: World Health Organisation Regional Office for Africa, World Health Organisation, 1–77. , , , .
- 2000. Common issues in medical professionalism: room to grow. Am J Med 108: 136–142. , , .
- 1998. Dimensions and correlates of physician work satisfaction in a midwestern city. Med Care 36: 610–617. , , , .
- Budget Office of the Federation. 2012. Appropriation Bill 2012. www.budgetoffice.gov.ng
- Central Bank of Nigeria. 2006. Report 2006.
- 2005. Equitable health care financing and poverty challenges in the African context. Paper Presented to Forum 9, Global Forum for Health Research Mumbai, September 12–16th, 2005. .
- 2003. Identifying factors for job motivation of rural health workers in North Viet Nam. Hum Resour Health 1: 1–10. , , , .
- 1993. Physicians' characteristics influence patients' adherence to medical treatment: results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Health Psychol 12: 93–102. , , , , , .
- 2002. Retention and deployment of health workers & professionals in Africa. Technical Paper: Consultative Meeting on Collaboration between Health Professions and Governments in Policy Formulation and Implementation of Health Sector Reform, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. .
- Employee Satisfaction Questionnaire. nd Available at: http://www.citehr.com/research.php?q=job+satisfaction+questionnaire&x=58&y=25
- Federal Ministry of Health. 2009. 2003–2005 National Health Account Estimation, Final Report.
- Federal Ministry of Health. 2010. The Nigerian Health Naira: Financing Agents. National Strategic Health Development Plan 2010–2015. FMOH; 36.
- 2000. Health worker motivation in Jordan and Georgia: a synthesis of the results. Major Applied Research 5, Technical Paper 3. Bethesda, Maryland: Partnership for Health Reform Project. , , , .
- 2007. Job satisfaction among doctors working at teaching hospital Of Bahawalpur, Pakistan. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 19 : 42–44. , , , .
- 2003. Managed care and primary physician satisfaction. J Am Board Fam Pract 16: 383–393. , , , , , .
- 2000. Is the professional satisfaction of general internists associated with patient satisfaction? J Gen Intern Med 15: 122–128. , , , , , .
- 1999. Professionalism reconsidered. Priorities for physicians. Arch Fam Med 8: 173–176. .
- 2002. Morale among general practitioners: qualitative study exploring relations between partnership arrangements, personal style, and work load. BMJ 325: 140. , , , , , .
- International Labor Organization. 2008. Can low-income countries afford basic social security? Social Security Policy Briefings, Paper No 3, Social Security Department, ILO, Geneva.
- Iyang. 1998. U.S. interprofessional conflict in Nigeria's health care system. Nigerian J Health Plann Manage 3: 47–50.
- 2007. German physicians “on strike”—shedding light on the roots of physician dissatisfaction. Health Policy 82: 357–365. , , , .
- 2003. Social security in developing countries: myth or necessity? Evidence from India. PRUS Working Paper No. 20. Poverty Research Unit at Sussex. University of Sussex. Falmer, Brighton. Available at: www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/PRU/wps/wp20.pdf .
- 2009. A study of job satisfaction and work environment perception among doctors in a tertiary hospital in Delhi. Indian J Med Sci 63: 139–144. , , , , .
- 2001. Quarter of GPs want to quit, BMA survey shows. BMJ 323: 887. .
- 2007. Predictors of physician career satisfaction, work-life balance, and burnout. Obstet Gynecol 109: 949–955. , , , .
- 2002. Evolving dissatisfaction among primary care physicians. Am J Manag Care 8: 890–901. , , , , , .
- 2007. Job satisfaction and the work situation of physicians: a survey at a German University hospital. Int J Public Health 52: 54–59. , .
- 1993. Work satisfaction in the lives of physicians. Tex Med 89: 54–61. , , , , .
- 1984. The job satisfaction and retention of physicians in organized settings: literature review. Med Care Rev 41: 139–179. .
- 1985. Health status, job satisfaction, job stress, and life satisfaction among academic and clinical faculty. JAMA 254: 2775–2782. , , , .
- 2000. Managed care, time pressure, and physician job satisfaction: results from the physician worklife survey. J Gen Intern Med 15: 441–450. , , .
- 2008. Job satisfaction among doctors in a tertiary care teaching hospital. JK Science 10(2): 81–83. .
- 2010. Motivational determinants among physicians in Lahore, Pakistan. BMC Health Serv Res 10: 201. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6963-10-201 , , , , .
- 2006. Health worker motivation in Africa: the role of non-financial incentives and human resource management tools. Hum Resour Health 4: 24. , .
- 2009. Contextual influences on health worker motivation in district hospitals in Kenya. Implement Sci 4: 43. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-4-43 , , , .
- 1980. Job satisfaction in general practice: implications for prescribing. Soc Sci Med 14a: 495–499. .
- 1998. The Impact of Health Sector Reform on Public Sector Health Worker Motivation in Zimbabwe. Partnership for Health Reforms: USA. .
- 2003. Impact of practice arrangements on physicians' satisfaction. Hosp Top 81: 19–25. , .
- OAU. 2001. Abuja declaration on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and other related infectious diseases. Organisation of African Unity.
- 2004. Job satisfaction and psychological health of doctors at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital. Occup Med 54: 400–403. , , , .
- 2006. Questionnaire survey of working relationships between nurses and doctors in University Teaching Hospitals in Southern Nigeria. BMC Nurs 5: 2. , .
- 2010. Job satisfaction amongst Nigerian ophthalmologists: an exploratory study. Libyan J Med 5: 4629. DOI: 10.4176/091010 , , , .
- 2006. Characteristics and study motivation of clinical dental students in Nigerian universities. J Dent Educ 70: 996–1003. , .
- 2002. Career Satisfaction Study Group. Physician job satisfaction, dissatisfaction, and turnover. J Fam Pract 51: 593. , , , , , .
- 2008. Professional satisfaction among Singapore physicians. Health Policy 85: 363–371. , .
- 1991. A current look at the job satisfaction/life satisfaction relationship: review and future considerations. Hum Relat 44: 287–307. , , .
- 2004. Monitoring the Effect of the New Rural Allowance for Health Professions. Health Systems Trust: Durban. .
- 1999. Productivity and the household investment in health — the case of Colombia. Inter-American Development Bank, Working Paper R-354. , .
- 2003. Human resources development. In The District Health System. Experience and Prospects in Africa. Manual for Public Health Practitioners, Eschborn GTZ (ed). GTZ: Berlin, Germany. 121–144. , .
- 1997. Changing nature of physician satisfaction with health maintenance organization and fee-for-service practices. J Fam Pract 45: 321–330. , , , .
- 1989. Controllable lifestyle: a new factor in career choice by medical students. Acad Med 64: 606–609. , , , , , .
- 2000. GP job satisfaction in 1987, 1990 and 1998: lessons for the future? Fam Prac 17: 364–371. , , , , .
- 2002. Job satisfaction, work related stress and intentions to quit of Scottish GPS. Scott Med J 47: 80–86. , , .
- 1993. Professional satisfaction and dissatisfaction of family physicians. J Fam Practice 37: 257–263. , , .
- 2001. Health worker motivation in Zimbabwe. World Health Organization: Geneva. .
- 2001. Managed care, professional autonomy, and income: effects on physician career satisfaction. J Gen Intern Med 16: 675–684. , , , .
- 2000. High demand, low control and impaired general health working conditions in a sample of Swedish general practitioners. Scand J Public Health 28: 123–131. , .
- 1999. Teaching professionalism in undergraduate medical education. JAMA 282: 830–832. , , , .
- The Kaiser Family Foundation National Survey of Physicians Part III. 2002. Doctors opinion about their profession. Available at: http://www.kff.org/kaiserpolls/upload/Highlights-and-Chart-Pack-2.pdf
- 2004. The role of wages in the migration of health care professionals from developing countries. Hum Resour Health 2: 3. , , , , .
- WHO. 2006. Working together for health. The World Health Report. Geneva.
- WHO. 2011. WHO African region: Nigeria health financing and social protection. Available at www.who.int/countries/nga/areas/health_financing/en/index.html
- 2002. Physician, practice, and patient characteristics related to primary care physician physical and mental health: results from the Physician Worklife Study. Health Serv Res 37: 121–143. , , .
- World Bank. 2004. World development report: making services work for poor people. Washington, DC.
- 1999. Medical professionalism in society. N Engl J Med 341: 1612–1616. , , , , .
- 2004. Dissatisfaction with medical practice. New Engl J Med 350: 69–75. .