“Diagnosing” Saudi health reforms: is NHIS the right “prescription”?
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 28, Issue 4, pages 308–319, October/December 2013
How to Cite
Al-Sharqi, O. Z. and Abdullah, M. T. (2013), “Diagnosing” Saudi health reforms: is NHIS the right “prescription”?. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt., 28: 308–319. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2148
- Issue online: 4 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2012
- Vice Deanship of Postgraduate Research, Faculty of Economics and Administration. Grant Number: 10–58
- 2005. Quality of primary health care in Saudi Arabia: a comprehensive review. International J Qual Health Care 17(4): 331–346. , .
- 2013. A 'DIRE' needs orientation to Saudi health services leadership. Leadersh Health Serv 26(3). , .
- 1999. Health in Century. Asbar for Studying and Media: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. , , , .
- 2007. Depression, anxiety and stress among Saudi adolescent school boys. Perspect Public Health 127(1): (Jan) 33–37. .
- 2005. Obesity in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 26(5): 824–829. , , , et al.
- 2009. Smoking in Saudi Arabia and its relation to coronary artery disease. J Saudi Heart Assoc 21: 169–176. , , , et al.
- 2006. An analysis of access to and quality of the new health system in Saudi Arabia: mixed methodology study, PhD thesis, Monash University, Australia. .
- 2011. Healthcare development in Saudi Arabia, Australia and the USA: a comparative analysis. under publication, Journal of Economics and Administration, King Abdulaziz University: Jeddah. .
- 2002. Organization of the Saudi health system. East Mediterr Health J 8: 4–5 (Sept). , , .
- 2007. Different countries, different needs: the role of private health insurance in developing countries. J Health Polit Pol Law 32(3): 497–534. , .
- 2002. Infection control in Saudi Arabia: meeting the challenge. Am J Infect Control 30: 57–65. .
- Ministry of Health. 2009. Health Statistical Yearbook. Ministry of Health, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: Riyadh.
- Ministry of Interior. 2008. Traffic Statistics. General Traffic Department, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: Riyadh.
- 1992. Hospital Economics and Financing in Developing Countries. WHO: Geneva. , , .
- 2003. Innovations in Health Service Delivery: The Corporatization of Public Hospitals. World Bank: Washington DC. , .
- Preker A, Carrin G. (eds). 2004. Health Financing for Poor People: Resource Mobilization and Risk Sharing. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- 2007a. Public ends, Private Means: Strategic Purchasing of Health Services. The World Bank: Washington DC. , , , .
- 2007b. Private Voluntary Health Insurance in Development: Friend or Foe. The World Bank: Washington DC. , , .
- 2006. Regulating private health insurance to serve the public interest: policy issues for developing countries. Int J Health Plann Manage 21: 357–392. , .
- 2010. Social health insurance reexamined. Health Econ 19(5): 503–517. .
- WHO. 1995. Interregional Consultation on Health Insurance Reform, Seoul, Republic of Korea, April 3–7. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO. 2009. World Health Statistics. World Health Organization: Geneva
- World Bank. 1987. Financing Health Services in Developing Countries: An Agenda for Reform. The World Bank: Washington DC.
- World Bank. 1993. Investing in Health: World Development Report. The World Bank: Washington DC.
- 2008. The changing face of healthcare in Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med 28(4): 243–250. , , .
- 2011. Can Turkey's general health insurance system achieve universal coverage? Int J Health Plann Manage. 26(3): 282–295. , .