Health workforce in the United Arab Emirates: analytic point of view
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 29, Issue 4, pages 332–341, October/December 2014
How to Cite
2014) Health workforce in the United Arab Emirates: analytic point of view, Int J Health Plann Mgmt, 29, pages 332–340. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2198.and (
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 NOV 2012
- 2008. Health care and nursing in Saudi Arabia. Int Nurs Rev 55(1): 125–128. , , .
- 2009. The nursing workforce in Kuwait to the year 2020. Int Nurs Rev 56: 65–72. , , , .
- 2001. Continuing-education needs of the currently employed public health education workforce. Am J Public Health 91(8): 1230–1234. , , , .
- 2004. Human resources and health outcomes: cross-country econometric study. Lancet 364: 1603–1609. , .
- 2007. Inequities in the global health workforce: the greatest impediment to health in Sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health 4(2): 93–100. , .
- 1993. Primary health care in the United Arab Emirates. Fam Pract 10: 444–448. , , .
- 2004. Human resources for health: overcoming the crisis. Lancet 364: 1984–1990. , , , et al.
- 1990. The Seven Sheikdoms: Life in the Trucial States before the Federation of the United Arab Emirates. London Stacey International: London. .
- 1994. Health meanings of Saudi women. J Adv Nurs 21: 853–857. .
- 2004. Data on the migration of health-care workers: sources, uses, and challenges. Bull World Health Organ 82(8): 601–607. .
- 2003. Human resources for health policies: a critical component in health policies. Hum Resour Health 1(1): 1. , .
- 2000. Achieving the Right Balance: The Role of Policy-Making Processes in Managing Human Resources for Health Problems. World Health Organization: Geneva. , , .
- 2006. Nursing in the United Arab \Emirates: an historical background. Journal compilation. International Council of Nurses. .
- 2007. Human resources for health planning and management in the Eastern Mediterranean region: facts, gaps and forward thinking for research and policy. Hum Resour Health 5(9): 5–9. , , , .
- EMRO. 2006. World Health Day advisory toolkit. http://www.emro.who.int/WHD2006/kit-brochure-part4.htm
- 2008. Continuing professional development and social accountability. J Interpr of Care 22(Suppl 1): 15–29. , , , , , .
- 2001. The Design of Incentives for Health Care Providers in Developing Countries: Contracts, Competition, and Cost Control—Policy Research Working Paper Number WPS 2547. World Bank: Washington. , .
- ILO. 1999. Terms of Employment and Working Conditions in Health Sector Reforms: Joint Meeting of the International Labour Office. International Labour Office: Geneva.
- 1999. Perspectives on the health care system of the United Arab Emirates. East Medit Health J 5(1): 149–167. .
- 2006. Obstacles to health in the Arab world. BMJ 333(7573): 859. , .
- 2003. Patient satisfaction with primary health care services in the United Arab Emirates. Int J Qual Health Care 15: 241–249. , , , .
- 1998. Rethinking human resources: an agenda for the millennium. Health Policy Plan 13: 345–358. , .
- 1990. Imbalance of distribution of physicians in the Arab world. Cah Sociol Demogr Med 30(4): 543–555. .
- 2006. Twelve tips for recruiting and retaining facilitators in a problem-based learning programme. Med Teach 28(8): 675–679. , .
- 2002. Assessing the performance of health systems –contributions made by the World Health Organization. Global Health Care 3: 316–317. , .
- MOH. 2005. Annual report. Department of Planning, Ministry of Health. United Arab Emirates (UAE). http://www.moh.gov.ae
- MOH. 2012. Ministry of Health (of United Arab Emirates) statistics. http://www.moh.gov.ae.
- 2001. The political context of social inequalities in health. Soc Sci Med 52: 481–491. , .
- 2005. Preparing the 21st century global healthcare workforce. BMJ 330: 637–639. , .
- 1983. Urbanization in contemporary Arab Gulf states. Ekistics 50(300): 170–182. .
- 2003. The interface between health sector reform and human resources in health. Hum Resour Health 1(9): 1–9. , .
- 2000. Government Employment and pay in Global Perspective. World Bank: Washington. , , .
- 2006. Managing people or places. Nurs Econ 24(1): 45–46. .
- 2003. Developing evidence-based ethical policies on the migration of health workers: conceptual and practical challenges. Hum Resour Health 1(8): 1–8. , , , , , .
- 2001. Educational needs of nurse administrators in the Middle East. J Nurs Adm 31(7/8): 386–390. .
- UAE-National.statistics. 2010. http://www.uaestatistics.gov.ae
- 2002. When staff is underpaid. Dealing with the individual coping strategies of health personnel. Bull World Health Organ 80(7): 581–584. , , , .
- WB. 1993a. World Development Report 1993: Investing in Health. Oxford University Press: New York.
- WB. 1993b. Investing in Health: World Development Report. World Bank: Washington.
- WB. 2012. http://data.worldbank.org/country/united-arab-emirates
- WHO. 2000. World Health Report 2000: Health Systems—Improving Performance. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO. 2002a. World Health Statistics. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO. 2002b. The World Health Report 2000: Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO. 2003. The World Health Report 2003, Shaping the future. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO. 2004. WHO Estimates of Health Personnel: Physicians, Nurses, Midwives, Dentists, Pharmacists. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO. 2006a. Working Together for Health: The World Health Report 2006. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO. 2006b. Country Cooperation Strategy for WHO and the United Arab Emirates 2005–2009. http://www.who.int/countryfocus/cooperation_strategy/ccs_are_en.pdf
- WHO. 2008a. Case study summaries: WHO-OECD hosted dialogue on migration and other health workforce issues in a global economy. http://www.who.int/hrh/migration/en/
- WHO. 2008b. Promoting nursing and midwifery development in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Technical paper.
- World-Economic-forum. 2012. Global Gender Gap Report 2012. http://WEF_GenderGap_Report_2012
- 2004. An approach to classifying human resources constraints to attaining health-related Millennium Development Goals Hum Resour Health 2(11): 1–11. .
- 2008. Ranking of priorities in employees' reward and recognition schemes: from the perspective of UAE health care employees. Int J Health Plann Manage 23: 357–371. , , .