The snakes and ladders of National Health Service management in England
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 260–279, July/September 2014
How to Cite
2014), The snakes and ladders of National Health Service management in England, Int J Health Plann Mgmt, 29, 260–279. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2220(
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2013
- 2008. The psychology of careers in industrial and organizational settings: a critical but appreciative analysis. In International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, vol. 23, Hodgkinson G, Ford J (eds.). Wiley: London; 1–44. , .
- 1995. Intelligent enterprise, intelligent careers. Academy of Management Executive 9: 7–22. , , .
- 2010. The Next Generation of Leaders: Motivation and Leadership in the FE Sector. Learning and Skills Network: London. , , , , , .
- 2007. Snakes in Suits. HarperCollins: London. , .
- 2010. Career Paths of Chief Executives. NHS Yorkshire and the Humber: Leeds. .
- 2006. Showing the road to equality: gender and management in the Scottish Voluntary Sector? European HRD Conference, Tilburg University, 22–24 May. , , , .
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. 2008. Talent Management: An Overview. CIPD: London.
- CIPD. 2010. The Talent Perspective. What Does It Feel Like To Be Talent-Managed? CIPD: London.
- 2009. Strategic talent management: a review and research agenda. Human Resource Management Review 19: 304–313. , .
- 2005. Understanding psychological contracts at work – a critical evaluation of theory and research. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , .
- 1986. Processes of Discrimination. A Report on a Study of Women Working in the NHS. HMSO: London. , .
- Department of Health. 2004. NHS Talent Management Update. DH: London.
- Department of Health. 2008. High Quality care for All (Darzi Final Report), Cmnd 7432. The Stationery Office: London.
- Department of Health. 2009. Inspiring Leaders: Leadership for Quality. DH: London.
- Department of Health. 2010. Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS, London. The Stationery Office: London.
- Department of Health. 2011. Liberating the NHS: Developing the NHS Workforce—A Summary of Consultation Responses. DH: London.
- 2011. The development of strategic clinical leadership in the NHS in Scotland. Leadership in Health Services 24(3): 337–353. .
- 2001. Career patterns of healthcare executives. Health Services Management Research 14(1): 1–8. , .
- 2010. Talent Management in NHS Yorkshire and the Humber. NHS Yorkshire and the Humber: Leeds. , .
- 2004. Territorial Politics and Health Policy. Manchester University Press: Manchester. .
- 2011. Doctors who become chief executives in the NHS: from keen amateurs to skilled professionals. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 104: 113–119. , , , , .
- 2010. Leadership for Healthcare. Policy Press: Bristol. , .
- HoggettBowers. 2009. NHS Chief Executives: ‘Bold and Old’. HoggettBowers: London.
- 2010. Talent management and HRM in multinational companies in Beijing: definitions, differences and drivers. Journal of World Business 45: 179–189. , , .
- 1996. Back to the future in film: combining industry and self-knowledge to meet career challenges of the 21st century. Academy of Management Executive 10(4): 89–103. , .
- King's Fund Commission on Leadership and Management in the NHS. 2011. No More Heroes. The Future of Leadership and Management in the NHS. King's Fund: London.
- King's Fund Commission on Leadership and Management in the NHS. 2012. Leadership and Engagement for Improvement in the NHS. King's Fund: London.
- 2000. The management implications of women's employment disadvantage in a female dominated profession a study of NHS nursing. Journal of Management Studies 37(5): 705–731. .
- 2006. Talent management: a critical review. Human Resource Management Review 16: 139–154. , .
- 2011. Plus c¸ a change, plus c'est la meˆ me chose: senior NHS managers' narratives of restructuring. Sociology of Health & Illness 33(6): 914–929. , , , .
- 2012. A critical account of the rise and spread of ‘leadership’: the case of UK healthcare. Social Science & Medicine 74: 281–288. , .
- 2009. The Leadership Aspirations and Careers of Black and Minority Ethnic Teachers. NASUWT and National College for Leadership of Schools and Children's Services: London. , , , .
- Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust Public Inquiry. 2013. Report of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry: Executive Summary. (Chair: R. Francis), HC 947. The Stationery Office: London.
- 1996. Defining career success. Healthcare Executive 11(6): 6–11. .
- 2011. Factors impacting on career progression for nurse executives Contemporary Nurse 38(1–2): 45–55. , , , , .
- National Health Service Institute for Improvement and Innovation. 2009. Access of BME Staff to Senior Positions within the NHS. NHS III: Coventry.
- NHS Confederation. 2009. Reforming Leadership Development—Again. NHS Confederation: London.
- NHS East Midlands. 2009. Talent and Leadership Plan 2009/10. NHS East Midlands: Nottinghamshire.
- NHS North West. 2009. NHS North West Talent Management and Leadership Plan. NHS North West: Manchester.
- NHS Yorkshire and the Humber. 2009. Yorkshire and the Humber Talent and Leadership Plan 2009/10. NHS Yorkshire and the Humber: Leeds.
- 2006. Clearing the way for gender balance in the management of the UK financial services industry: enablers and barriers. Women in Management Review 21(1): 40–53. , , .
- 2007. The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies. Princeton University Press: Princeton. .
- 2012. Talent Management in the NHS Managerial Workforce. Final report, NIHR Service Delivery and Organisation programme. , , , et al.
- 2006. The NHS national management training scheme in England. A chronology. .
- 1999. The Quality of Qualitative Research. Sage: London. .
- 2006. Interpreting Qualitative Data, 3rd edn. Sage: London. .
- 2008. The role and experience of women chief executives in the National Health Service: gendered stories of leadership in difficult times. University of Birmingham PhD thesis. .
- 2007. Leadership toxicity: an inevitable affliction of organisations? Organisations and People 14(1): 19–27. .