Professor James contributed to the design and analysis and wrote the text for the article. Ms Stokes undertook statistical analysis of the raw data, prepared the graphs and made some revisions to the draft article.
Spending by primary care practices—does it show what we expect?
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Health Planning and Management published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
How to Cite
James, M. and Stokes, E. (2013), Spending by primary care practices—does it show what we expect?. Int. J. Health Plann. Mgmt.. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2224
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAY 2013
- 2010. Improving NHS productivity more with the same not more of the same. The King's Fund. , , , .
- 1970. Uncertainty and evaluation of public investment decisions. Amer Econ Rev 60: 364–378. , .
- 2006. The relationship between general practice characteristics and quality of care: a national survey using indicators from the UK Quality and Outcomes Framework 2004-2005. BMC Fam Pract 57: 441–8. , .
- 2007. The relationship between social deprivation and the quality of primary care: a national survey using indicators from the UK Quality and Outcomes Framework. Br J Gen Pract 7: 68–75. , , , , .
- 2011. Liberating the NHS? A commentary on the Lansley White Paper, “Equity and Excellence”. Soc Sci Med 72: 815–820. .
- 2008. Deprivation, demography, and the distribution of general practice: challenging the conventional wisdom of inverse care. Br J of Gen Prac 58: 720–728. , .
- 2011. Setting health care capitations through diagnosis-based risk adjustment: a suitable model for the English NHS? Health Policy 101: 133–139. , .
- 2011. General practitioner commissioning consortia and budgetary risk: evidence from the modelling of ‘fair share’ practice budgets for mental health. J Health Serv Res & Policy 16(2): 95–101. , , , , .
- Australian Government Department of Age and Aging. 2010. Building a 21st century primary health care system Australia's first national primary health care strategy. Commonwealth of Australia. ISBN: 978-1-74241-224-5. 1–44.
- 2008. The dynamics of commissioning across organisational and clinical boundaries. J Health Organ Manag 22(2): 111–128. , , .
- 2003. Decentralization and equity from resource allocation: evidence from Colombia and Chile. Bull World Health Organ 81(1): 95–100. , , .
- 2011. Rationing by clinical effectiveness. BMJ 342: 531–533. , , .
- 2009. Equity, waiting times, and NHS reforms: retrospective study BMJ 339: 1–7. , , , .
- Department of Health. 2002. Health service circular. Primary Care Trusts Revenue Resource Limits 2003/2004, 2004/5 & 2005/2006. pp. 1–13 Available at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130107105354/http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4012296.pdf, Accessed 14 October 2013.
- Department of Health. 2003a. Investing in general practice: the new general medical services contract. London. Available at http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/gms_contract_cd_130209.pdf, Accessed 23 May 2013.
- Department of Health. 2003b. Delivering investment in general practice: implementing the new GMS contract. London. Available at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130107105354/http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4070231.pdf, Accessed 15 October 2013.
- Department of Health. 2004a. Quality and Outcomes Framework. Summary of Indicators. London. Available at http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/qof-indicators.pdf, Accessed 20 January 2012.
- Department of Health. 2004b. Implementing payment by results technical guidance 2005/06. London.
- Department of Health. 2008. High quality care for all. NHS next stage review final report. Cm7432. London.
- Department of Health. 2010. NHS white paper: equity and excellence: liberating the NHS. Cm7881. London.
- Department of Health. 2011. Developing clinical commissioning groups: towards authorisation. London. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213725/dh_130318.pdf, Accessed 15 October 2013.
- 2007. Do the UK government's new quality and outcomes framework scores adequately measure primary care performance? a cross-sectional survey of routine healthcare data. BMC Health Serv Res 7: 166–172. , , , , , .
- 2011. Does better disease management in primary care reduce hospital costs? Evidence from English primary care. J Health Econ 30(5): 919–932. , , , , .
- 2010. The UK pay-for-performance programme in primary care: estimation of population mortality reduction. Br J Gen Pract 60: 345–352. , , , , , .
- 2011. The effects of health care reforms on health inequalities: a review and analysis of the European evidence base. Int Jnl Health Serv 41(2): 209–230. , , , , .
- 2013. The quality and outcomes framework—where next? BMJ 346: 1–6. , .
- Gray M, Da Silva P (eds). 2010. QIPP/Right Care. The NHS atlas of variation in healthcare. Available at http://www.rightcare.nhs.uk/atlas/index.html, Accessed 20 January 2012.
- 2009. Hybridization instead of clustering: transformation processes of welfare policies in central and Eastern Europe. Soc Pol Admin 43(2): 152–169. .
- 2009. Resource allocation—it's a jungle out there. Who wins and who loses under the NHS's new scheme for awarding cash to primary care trusts? BMJ 338: 139 b77. .
- 1998. An assessment of the attributes of frequent attenders to general practice. Fam Pract 15: 198–204. , , , .
- House of Commons Health Committee. 2006. Health Deficits First Report of Session 2006–07 Volume 1. London HMSO. 1–97.
- 2013. Europe's strong primary care systems are linked to better population health but also to higher health spending. Health Aff 32(4): 686–694. , , , .
- 2012. Commissioning board looks for funding formula that will reduce health inequalities. BMJ 345(2): 1. .
- 2013. The unequal health of Europeans: successes and failures of policies. The Lancet 381: 1125–1134. , , .
- 2013. The healthcare cost curve can be bent. Healthcare Fin Mang 67(3): 78–84. , , . March
- 2006. Primary care funding, contract status and outcomes: an observational study. Br J Gen Pract 56: 825–829. , .
- NHS England. 2013a. CCG maps. March. 1-2. Available at http://www.england.nhs.uk/resources/ccg-maps/, Accessed September 2013.
- NHS England. 2013b. 2013/14 Guidance and audit requirements for new and amended enhanced services version 1. April: 1–41.
- 2002. Addressing health inequalities. The Lancet 360: 565–567. , , .
- 2012. Is decentralization good for your health? Transformations in the Italian NHS. Current Sociology 60(4): 472–488. , .
- 2010. Primary care and why it matters for U.S. health system reform. Health Aff 29(5): 806–810. , .
- 2009. Health reform in central and eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. The Lancet 374: 1186–1195. , .
- 2010. Primary care capitation payments in the UK. An observational study. BMC Health Serv Res 10: 156. Available at http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/10/156. , , .
- 1998. The effect of public versus private decision environment on the use of the net present value investment criterion. J Public Budg Acc Finance Manage 10(1): 21–52. .
- 2008. Developing performance: indicators for primary care: Walsalls experience. Br J Gen Pract 58: 856–861. , , , , .
- 2001. Equity versus efficiency: a dilemma for the NHS. BMJ 323: 762–763. , .
- 2007. The association between the quality of epilepsy management in primary care, general practice population deprivation status and epilepsy-related emergency hospitalisations. Seizure 16: 351–355. , , , .
- 2008. Decentralization and public delivery of healthcare services in India. Health Aff 27(4): 991–1001. .
- 2008. Resource allocation and purchasing in the health sector: the English experience. B World Health Organ 86(11): 884–888. .
- 2006. Public sector investment failures: theoretical contributions from new institutional and Austrian economic theory. J Public Budg Acc Finance Manage 18(3): 351–375. , .
- 2010. Research learning from the UK quality and outcomes framework: a review of existing research. Qual Prim Care 18: 117–125. , .
- 2008. Impact of practice size on the delivery of diabetes care before and after the Quality and Outcome Framework implementation. Br J Gen Pract 58: 576–579. , , , et al.
- 1971. The inverse care law. The Lancet 297: 405–412. .
- United Nations Population Division. 2010. World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, medium variant (2011). Available at http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-world-population.aspx, Accessed March 2013.
- 2010. Value for money and the quality and outcomes framework in primary care in the UK NHS. Br J Gen Pract 60: 213–220. , , , , , .
- 2002. The inverse care law today. The Lancet 360: 252–254. .
- 2011. Time to tackle unwarranted variations in practice. BMJ 342: 687–690. .
- 2002. Devolved budgetary responsibility in primary care. A cross-country assessment of the impact on efficiency. Eur J Health Econ 3(1): 17–25. . .