Developing a national framework of quality indicators for public hospitals
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages e187–e206, July/September 2014
How to Cite
2014), Developing a national framework of quality indicators for public hospitals, Int J Health Plann Mgmt, 29, e187–e206. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2237, , and (
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAY 2013
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): Quality Indicators project, USA: http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2003. Updating the key dimensions of hospital performance: the move towards a theoretical framework. Third WHO Workshop on Hospital Performance Measurement, Barcelona, 13–14 June 2003. , , .
- 2006. Conceptual framework for the OECD Health Care Quality Indicators project. Int J Qual Health Care 18: 5–13. , , , .
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Sentinel events in Hospitals project, Australia. http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10353 [Accessed on 15 December 2011a].
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). National Health Performance Committee, Australia. http://www.aihw.gov.au/indicators/index.cfm [Accessed on 15 December 2011b].
- 2005. Hospital utilization, efficiency and access to care during and shortly after restructuring acute care in Newfoundland and Labrador. J Health Serv Res Policy 10(Suppl.2): 31–7. , , , .
- 2005. Feasibility first developing public performance indicators on patient safety and clinical effectiveness for Dutch hospitals. Health Policy 75: 59–73. , , , et al.
- 2009. The effect of emergency department crowding on clinically oriented outcomes. Acad Emerg Med 16: 1–10. , , , et al.
- Bundesgeschaftsstelle Qualitatssicherung. 2007. Qualitat sichtbar machen: BQS—Qualitatsreport 2006. BQS: Dusseldorf. [in German].
- 2000. Defining quality of care. Soc Sci Med 51: 1611–25. , , .
- 2002. Research methods used in developing and applying quality indicators in primary care. Qual Saf Health Care 11: 358–64. , , , .
- Canadian Institute for Health Information. Canadian Hospital Reporting Project, Canada. http://www.cihi.ca/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- Centres for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMMS)/Hospital Quality Alliance (HQA): Hospital Compare, USA. http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HospitalQualityInits/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2006. Customer convergence: patients, physicians, and employees share in the experience and evaluation of healthcare quality. Health Mark Q 23: 79–99. , , .
- 1996. Why are we trying to reduce length of stay? Evaluation of the costs and benefits of reducing time in hospital must start from the objectives that govern change. Qual Health Care 5: 172–9. .
- 2010. Identifying and addressing bullying in nursing. Issues Ment Health Nurs 31: 331–5. , , .
- Clinical Indicator Support Team. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland, Information Services Division (ISD): Scotland. http://www.indicators.scot.nhs.uk/Index.htm [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2005. Racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in estimates of AHRQ patient safety indicators. Med Care 43: I48–57. , , .
- 2000. The ACHS Care Evaluation Program: a decade of achievement. J Qual Clin Practice 20: 36–41. , , .
- 2009. Measuring the quality of hospital care: an inventory of indicators. Intern Med J 39: 352–60. , , , , , .
- 2005. Evaluating the quality of medical care. Milbank Q 83: 691–729. .
- 2010. Greece: health system review. Health Syst Transit 12: 101–108. .
- 2009. Prioritising quality indicator development across the healthcare system: identifying what to measure. Intern Med J 39: 648–54. , , , , , .
- 2002. Using performance indicators to improve health care quality in the public sector: a review of the literature. Health Serv Manage Res 15: 126–37. .
- 2005. Developing quality indicators in hospitals: the COMPAQH project. Rev Epidemiol Santle Publiq 53: IS22–IS33. [in French]. , , , , .
- 2008. An international review of projects on hospital performance assessment. Int J Qual Health Care 20: 162–71. , , .
- 2012. Transforming the Delivery of Health and Social Care: the Case for Fundamental Change. The King's Fund: London. , , .
- 2003. Health care disparities in disadvantaged Medicare beneficiaries: a national project review. J Health Hum Serv Adm 26: 153–73. , , .
- Hospital Report Research Collaborative, Canada. http://www.hospitalreport.ca/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2008. Testing the hospital value proposition: an empirical analysis of efficiency and quality. Health Care Manage Rev 33: 341–9. , , , .
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO). Hospital Accreditation Standards. Research and Performance Measurement. The Joint Commission: USA. http://www.jointcommission.org/PerformanceMeasurement/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2003. Are performance indicators generic? The international experience of the Quality Indicator Project. J Eral Clin Pract 9: 265–76. , , .
- 2005. Understanding safer practices in health care: a prologue for the role of indicators. J Eval Clin Pract 11: 161–70. , , , .
- 2005. Relationships between volume, efficiency, and quality in surgery—a delicate balance from managerial perspectives. World J Surg 29: 1234–40. , , .
- Leapfrog Hospital Quality and Safety Survey, USA. http://www.leapfroggroup.org/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2004. Use and misuse of process and outcome data in managing performance of acute medical care: avoiding institutional stigma. Lancet 363: 1147–54. , , , .
- 2002. Quality of health care surveillance systems: review and implementation in the Swiss setting. Swiss Med WKLY 132: 461–9. , , , , .
- 2003. Defining and classifying clinical indicators for quality improvement. Int J Qual Health Care 15: 523–30. .
- 2001. Process versus outcome indicators in the assessment of quality of health care. Int J Qual Health Care 13: 475–80. .
- 2006. OECD Health Care Quality Indicator Project. The expert panel on primary care prevention and health promotion. Int J Qual Health Care 18 Suppl 1: 21–5. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Day surgery and hospital efficiency: empirical analysis of Norwegian hospitals, 1999–2001. Health Policy 68: 183–96. , .
- 2006. Consumer attitudes about health care-acquired infections and hand hygiene. Am J Med Qual 21: 342–46. , , .
- National Quality Forum, USA. http://www.qualityforum.org/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2013. Reforming reimbursement of public hospitals in Greece during the economic crisis: implementation of a DRG system. Health Policy 109: 14–22. , , , , .
- Safety Improvement for Patients in Europe (SImPatIE), Europe. http://www.simpatie.org/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2010. Well-being at work—overview and perspective. Scand J Work Environ Health 36: 422–9. , .
- 1998. Primary Care: Balancing Health Needs, Services, and Technology. Oxford University Press: New York. .
- The Danish National Indicator Project, Denmark. http://www.nip.dk/ [Accessed on 15 December 2011].
- 2007. The Euphoric project: outcome indicators collection in Europe. Results of the first phase. Eur J Public Health 17(Suppl.2): 213. , , , et al.
- 1995. From the Institute of Medicine. JAMA 273: 192. , , .
- 2005. A performance assessment framework for hospitals: the WHO regional office for Europe PATH project. Int J Qual Health Care 17: 487–96. , , , , , .
- 2004. Development of relationship-centered care. J Healthc Qual 26: 14–21. , .