Power and trust in organizational relations: an empirical study in Turkish public hospitals
Article first published online: 25 APR 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages E1–E15, January-March 2015
How to Cite
2015), Power and trust in organizational relations: an empirical study in Turkish public hospitals, Int J Health Plann Mgmt, 30, E1–E15, doi: 10.1002/hpm.2251, and (
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2015
- Article first published online: 25 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 13 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 JAN 2012
- 2004. Power, organization design and managerial behaviour. Acc Organ Soc 29: 207–225. , .
- 2010. Managerial roles of physicians in the Turkish healthcare system: current situation and future challenges. J Health Manag 12(4): 539–551. , , .
- 2010. Quality of health care and patient satisfaction: an exploratory investigation of the 5Qs model at Turkey. Clin Govern Int J 15(2): 92–101. , .
- 2012. Examining the role of employee focus in the Turkish healthcare industry. Total Qual Manag Bus Excel 23(11): 1241–1256. , , .
- 2012. Assessment of the Turkish health care system reforms: a stakeholder analysis. Health Policy 107: 21–30. , , , .
- 2010. The change in capacity and service delivery at public and private hospitals in Turkey: a closer look at regional differences. BMC Health Serv Res 10: 300–311. , , .
- 1999. Trust, power and control in trans-organizational relations. The SASE-conference, USA: Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. . 8–11 July
- 1962. Two faces of power. Am Polit Sci Rev 56(4): 947–952. , .
- 2013. The impact of total quality service (TQS) on healthcare and patient satisfaction: an empirical study of Turkish private and public hospitals. Int J Health Planning Manag. DOI: 10.1002/hpm , , .
- 2008. Development of an instrument for measuring clinicians' power perceptions in the workplace. J Biomed Inform 41: 1041–1049. , , , , , .
- 2008. Recognizing the links between power and trust in managing supply chain relationships. 12. EU Agriculture Economists Congress, Belgium. , , . 26–29 August
- 2002. Job satisfaction of health care staff employed at health centers in Turkey. Occup Med 52(6): 353–55. .
- 1971. Bases of supervisory power and subordinate job satisfactions. Can J Behav Sci 3(2): 183–194. , .
- 2011. Hospital culture, work satisfaction and psychological well-being among nurses in Turkish hospitals. Eur J Psychol 7(4): 624–639. , , .
- 2006. Researching trust relations in health care: conceptual and methodological challenges—an introduction. J Health Organ Manag 20(5): 349–358. , .
- 1997. Some theoretical propositions pertaining to the context of trust. Int J Organ Anal 5(3): 227–248. .
- 1998. A multi-dimensional study of trust in organizations. J Manag Issues 10(3): 303–317. , , .
- 2006. A cross-cultural study of supervisory trust. Int J Manpow 27(8): 764–787. , , , , , .
- 1996. Trust in organizations: a conceptual framework linking organizational forms, managerial philosophies, and the opportunity costs of controls. In Trust in Organizations: Frontiers of Theory and Research, Kramer RM, Tyler TR (eds). Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA; 16–38. , .
- 1957. The concept of power. In Power: Critical Concepts, Scott J (ed.). www.books.google.com/books .
- 2009. Sağlkta dönüşüm: eleştirel bir değerlendirme. Türkiye Psikiyatri Derneği Bülteni 12(1): 33–43. , .
- 2007. Increasing organizational citizenship behaviors of Turkish academicians: mediating role of trust in supervisor on the relationship between organizational justice and citizenship behaviors. J Manag Psychol 22(3): 257–270. .
- 2013. On the efficiency of Turkish hospitals. International Congress on Performance and Quality in Health Services Conference, Antalya, Turkey. , .
- 2004. Trust, distrust and power. In Distrust, Hardin R (ed.). Russell Sage Publication: USA. .
- 2007. Effects of supervisor power on preparers' responses to audit review: a field study. Behav Res Account 19: 91–105. , .
- 2004. Co-worker trust as a social catalyst for constructive employee attitudes. J Manag Psychol 19(6): 608–622. , , .
- 1974. Beyond Contract: Work, Power, Trust Relations. Faber and Faber: London. .
- 1959. The bases of social power. In Studies in Social Power, Cartwright D (ed.). The University of Michigan Press: Ann Arbor. , .
- 1992. The relationship between leader power base and influence: the moderating role of trust. J Appl Bus Res 8(4): 9–14. , .
- 1996. Trust: The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity. Free Press Paperbacks: USA. .
- 2008. The role of trust in employee–manager relationship. Int J Contemp Hosp Manag 20(1): 98–103. .
- 2006. Trust in health care: theoretical perspectives and research needs. J Health Organ Manag 20(5): 359–375. .
- 2013. Analyzing the ambiguous relationship between efficiency, quality and patient satisfaction in healthcare services: the case of public hospitals in Turkey. Health Policy 111: 290–300. , .
- 1981. Effects of withdrawal of a performance-contingent reward on supervisory influence and power. Acad Manage J 24(3): 527–542. , .
- 2008. Power, social and political theories of. Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace and Conflict (2nd edn.), 1710–1724. , .
- 1991. Power as a concept. J Adv Nurs 16: 754–762. .
- 1994. An examination of subordinate perceived relationships between leader reward and punishment behavior and leader bases of power. Human Relat 47(7): 779–801. , .
- 2007. Trust in Organizations. Inklap: Istanbul. , , .
- 2011. Power in health care organizations: contemplations from the first-line management perspective. J Health Organ Manag 25(4): 385–399. .
- 1997. The effects of power bases on subordinate compliance and satisfaction: an empirical study of accountants. Br Account Rev 29: 49–65. , .
- 1996. Developing and maintaining trust in work relationships. In Trust in Organizations: Frontiers of Theory and Research, Kramer RM, Tyler TR (eds). Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA; 114–139. , .
- 1974. Power: A Radical View. Macmillan: London. .
- 1995. An integrative model of organizational trust. Acad Manage Rev 20(3): 709–734. , , .
- 1992. A theoretical review and empirical investigation of employee trust in management. Admin Sci Q 16(2): 265–284. , .
- 1983. Power In and Around Organizations. Prentice-Hall: NJ. .
- MoH. 2012a. Health Statistics Year Book. Official Website of Ministry of Health: Ankara, Turkey. http://sbu.saglik.gov.tr/Ekutuphane/kitaplar/hsy2012.pdf
- MoH. 2012b. Turkish health transformation program: evaluation report (2003–2011).
- 2006. Wasteful use of financial resources in public hospitals in Turkey: a trend analysis. Health Care Manag 33(4): 86–92. , .
- 1983. Organizational Demography. In Research in Organizational Behavior, Cummings L, Staw B (eds.), vol. 5. JAI Press: Greenwich, CT; 299–357. .
- 2008. Defining competencies for hospital management: a comparative analysis of the public and private sectors. Leadersh Health Serv 21(2): 99–110. .
- 2003. The effect of managerial power and relational trust on the skills and traits of knowledge acquisition: evidence from the United Arab Emirates. Electron J Knowl Manag 1(2): 147–158. .
- 1988. The reluctant managers: clinicians and budgets and the NHS. Financ Account Manag 4(3): 213–34. , , , .
- 1996. Trust-based forms of governance. In Trust in Organizations: Frontiers of Theory and Research, Kramer RM, Tyler TR (eds). Sage: UK; 51–67. .
- 1989. Relationships of leader power to compliance and satisfaction with supervision: evidence from a national sample of managers. J Manag 15(4): 545–556. .
- 1992. Managing Conflict in Organizations (2nd edn.). Praeger: CT. .
- 1998. The development of a leader power inventory. Multivar Beh Res 23(4): 491–513. .
- 1998. Not so different after all: A cross-discipline view of trust. Acad of Manage Rev 23(3): 393–404. , , , .
- 2000. Public sector hospital efficiency for provincial markets in Turkey. J Med Syst 24(6): 307–20. , .
- 2011. Reciprocity of trust in the supervisor–subordinate relationship: the mediating role of autonomy and the sense of power. Eur J Work Organ Psychol 20(6): 755–778. , , , .
- 2006. Patients' race, ethnicity, language, and trust in a physician. J Health Soc Behav 47(4): 390–405. , , .
- 1998. Trust between managers and physicians in community hospitals: the effects of power over hospital decisions. J Healthcare Manag 43(5): 397–415. , , .
- 2000. Toward the differentiation of trust in supervisor and trust in organization. Genet Soc Gen Psychol Monogr 126(2): 241–260. , .
- 2006. Comparing public and private hospital care service quality in Turkey. Leadersh Health Serv 19(2): 1–10. , .
- 1999. Patient satisfaction in Turkey: differences between public and private hospitals. J Community Health 24(1): 73–91. , , .
- 2012. The profile of physicians' and nurses' organizational commitment, organizational trust and job satisfaction. Istanbul Univ J Sch Bus Admin 41(2): 258–277. .
- 2013. An analysis of relationships among transformational leadership, job satisfaction, organizational commitment and organizational trust in two Turkish hospitals. Int J Health Planning Manag 28: 217–241. , , , .
- 2010. Designing a capability-focused strategic management model for a Turkish public hospital: learning from failure. Syst Pract Action Res 23: 353–370. , .
- 2009. Managerial orientation and career success of physicians in hospitals. J Health Organ Manag 23(1): 70–84. , .
- 1998. Managerial power bases and subordinates' manifest needs as influences on psychological climate. J Bus Psychol 12(3): 361–378. .
- 1998. Managers as initiators of trust: an exchange relationship framework for understanding managerial trustworthy behavior. Acad Manage Rev 23(3): 513–530. , , , .
- 2003. Trust me, I'm your boss: trust and power in supervisor–supervisee communication. Int J Hum Resour Manag 14(1): 117–127. , , .
- 2010. Service quality and determinants of customer satisfaction in hospitals: Turkish experience. Int Bus Econ Res J 9(5): 51–60. , , .