Dr. Jian Zhang was a visiting professor at the National Key Laboratory of Public Health Security, School of Public Health, Fudan University, when this work was carried out.
Global implications of China's healthcare reform†
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The International Journal of Health Planning and Management
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 25–35, January-March 2016
How to Cite
2016) Global implications of China's healthcare reform. Int J Health Plann Mgmt, 31: 25–35. doi: 10.1002/hpm.2252., , and (
This work was carried out as part of the collaboration between Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health, Georgia Southern University, USA, and the School of Public Health, Fudan University, China.
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2016
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2013
- 2012, June 24). Household saving rates. Global Finance. . (
- 2011, October 9). As its economy sprints ahead, China's people are left behind. New York Times Global Business, pp. 3. . (
- 2010. Building a social safety net. Finance Dev 47(3). , .
- 2009, July 20). Building China's consumer markets. China Daily Business weekly (opinion), pp. 2. . (
- 2011. The global economic burden of noncommunicable diseases. World Economic Forum, Geneva. , , , et al.
- Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party and State Council. (2009, March 17). Opinions of the CPC central committee and the state council on deepening the reform of the medical and health care system, pp. 6.
- 2008. Why are Saving Rates of Urban Households in China Rising? 14546. National Bureau of Economic Research: Cambridge, MA. 1-20-2012. , .
- 2009. The effect of Chinese medical insurances on the disease financial burden of urban residents. Chin Health Econ 28(2): 13–16. , , , .
- 2009. Launch of the health-care reform plan in China. Lancet 373(9672): 1322–1324. .
- China Daily News Agency. (2012, January 9). The right chemistry for Pharma firms. China Daily Business, pp 2.
- China Ministry of Health. (2011, April 29). Statistical bulletin of health development. Retrieved from www.moh.gov.cn.
- Chinese Association of Health Informatics. (2009, October 25). China Digital Healthcare Congress & Expo 2010 - 21-22th January, 2010, Shanghai, China.
- 2008. National health insurance and precautionary saving: evidence from Taiwan. J Public Econ 87(9–10): 1873–1894. , , .
- 2009. IBM to make up to US$5 billion available to accelerate Smart infrastructure initiatives around the world. Retrieved from http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/27589.wss .
- Congressional executive commission on China. 2008. China's household registration system: sustained reform needed to protect China's rural migrants. Retrieved from http://www.cecc.gov/pages/virtualAcad/Residency/hreform.php 1-21-2012.
- Deloitte Global Services Limited. (2010, September 17). Life sciences and health care in China, opportunities, challenges. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2007, June 1). Poverty, inequality and social disparities during China's economic reform. Washington, DC, World Bank. World Bank policy research working paper 4253. . (
- 2002. Growth, inequality, and poverty in rural China: the role of public investments. IFPRI Research Report 125. , , .
- 2009, October 10). China's health amidst the global economic crisis, potential effects and challenges. Washington, DC 2006, the Center for Strategic and International Studies. A report of the CSIS global health policy center. , . (
- 2010. 2011 Global R&D Funding Forecast. Battelle: Cleveland, Ohio. .
- 2008. China and global health. Lancet 372(9648): 1439–1441. , , , .
- 2008. Maoist public-health campaigns, Chinese medicine, and SARS. Lancet 372(9648): 1457–1458. .
- 2009. Health economics in China. Foreword. Health Economics 18(Suppl 2): S1–S2. , .
- 2011, November 1). Health costs outstrip GDP growth. New York Times (opinion). . (
- International Monetary Fund. 2011. World economic outlook database.
- 2009, November 22). Effects of national health insurance on precautionary saving: new evidence from Taiwan. . (
- 1985. Interracial goals. Racial Confl Econ Dev 11–26. .
- 2003. Universal health care: lessons from the British experience. Am J Public Health 93(1): 25–30. .
- 2009. Reforming China's health care: for the people, by the people? Lancet 373(9660): 281–283. .
- 2011. Asian development outlook 2011 update: preparing for demographic transition. Beijing, Asian Development Bank. The annual Asian Development Outlook, 119–124. , .
- 2010). China's high saving rate: myth and reality, 312. Switzerland, Bank for International Settlements. BIS working papers. , . (
- 2012. One country, two worlds - the health disparity in China. Global Pub Health 7(2): 124–136. , , , , .
- 2010, September 8). EM equity in two decades: a changing landscape, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. Global Economics Paper, pp. 204. , , . (
- 2009, December 7). High-priced healthcare. China Daily Health News, pp. 2. , . (
- 2011, June 24). China's economic conditions. RL33534. Congressional Research Service. . (
- 2011. From branch to bedside: Youyou Tu is awarded the 2011 Lasker~DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award for discovering artemisinin as a treatment for malaria. J Clin Investig 121(10): 3768–3773. .
- 2012, January 26). Five myths about China's power. The Washington Post. . (
- 2006. Demographic shift, population ageing and economic growth in China: a computable general equilibrium analysis. Pac Econ Rev 13(5): 680–697. .
- Research and Markets. (2011). The medical device market: China, 14546. Dublin, Ireland, Research and Markets.
- 2012, January 6). Small-town millionaires grab attention of big brands. China Daily e-paper China, pp. 2. . (
- 2011, June 27). China's health care reform looks to science. American Association for the Advancement of Science. . (
- The New York Times. (2011, October 9). China's reluctant consumers (exhibition). The New York Times Business Day.
- The Standing Committee of China's National People's Congress. (2010, October 28). People's Republic of China law on social insurance. (Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo Shehui Baoxian Fa [in Chinese]).
- 1997. Retrospective and prospective of mass immunization campaign. Chin J Vaccin Immunization 3(4): 5–8. , , , et al.
- 2011, July 5). Toward a healthy and harmonious life in China: stemming the rising tide of non-communicable diseases, 63426. Beijing, World Bank. , , . (
- 2011, October 9). Global research awards showcase China's gains and effectors to retain scientists. New York Times Asia Pacific, pp. A4. . (
- World Health Organization. (2005). Preventing chronic diseases: a vital investment: WHO global report. Geneva, Switzerland, World Health Organization. World Health Report.
- Xinhua News Agency. (2009, July 24). China outlines plans on health care reform in 2009. China Daily Health News, pp. 2.
- 2005, March 6). Agricultural tax to be scrapped from 2006. China Daily National New, pp. 3. . (
- 2012. Early appraisal of China's huge and complex health-care reforms. Lancet 379(9818): 833–842. , , , , , .
- 2010, January 21). China's urban, rural income gap widens despite economic recovery. Xinhua online News Global edition . Beijing, China, Xinhua online News. . (