Communicated by Mark H. Paalman
Novel mutations of the growth hormone 1 (GH1) gene disclosed by modulation of the clinical selection criteria for individuals with short stature†
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 424–440, April 2003
How to Cite
Millar, D. S., Lewis, M. D., Horan, M., Newsway, V., Easter, T. E., Gregory, J. W., Fryklund, L., Norin, M., Crowne, E. C., Davies, S. J., Edwards, P., Kirk, J., Waldron, K., Smith, P. J., Phillips, J. A., Scanlon, M. F., Krawczak, M., Cooper, D. N. and Procter, A. M. (2003), Novel mutations of the growth hormone 1 (GH1) gene disclosed by modulation of the clinical selection criteria for individuals with short stature. Hum. Mutat., 21: 424–440. doi: 10.1002/humu.10168
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2003
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2002
- Pharmacia AB, Stockholm, Sweden
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: DK 35592
- 1998. High-affinity binding sites to the vitamin D receptor DNA binding domain in the human growth hormone promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247:882–887. , , , .
- 1973. Measurement of growth hormone synthesis by rat pituitary cells in culture. Endocrinology 92:1014–1021. .
- 2001. Genes that prolong life: relationships of growth hormone and growth to aging and life span. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:B340–349. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Growth hormone heterogeneity: genes, isohormones, variants, and binding proteins. Endocr Rev 12:424–449. .
- 1996. Mechanisms responsible for dominant expression of human growth hormone gene mutations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:4047–4050. , , .
- 2001. Isolated GH deficiency with dominant inheritance: new mutations, new insights. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3877–3881. , , , , , , .
- 1987. A pituitary-specific trans-acting factor can stimulate transcription from the growth hormone promoter in extracts of nonexpressing cells. Cell 50:267–275. , .
- 2002. A critical analysis of the role of growth hormone and IGF-1 in aging and lifespan. Trends Genet 18:295–301. , , .
- 1989. The human growth hormone locus: nucleotide sequence, biology and evolution. Genomics 4:479–497. , , , , , .
- 1995. A hot spot of binding energy in a hormone-receptor interface. Science 267:383–386. , .
- 1996. Recombinant human growth hormone (GH)-binding protein enhances the growth-promoting activity of human GH in the rat. Endocrinology 137:4308–4315. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Inherited defects in growth hormone synthesis and action. Chapter 162, The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited disease. 8th ed. In: ScriverCR, BeaudetAL, SlyWS, ValleD, editors. New York: McGraw-Hill. p. 4159–4180. ,
- 1995. The limit of human adaptation to starvation. Nat Med 1:810–814. .
- 1993. Human gene mutation. Oxford: BIOS Scientific. p. 120–122. , .
- 1993. Comparison of a structural and a functional epitope. J Mol Biol 234:554–563. , .
- 2000. Protein folding and deficiencies caused by dominant-negative mutants of hormones. Vitam Horm 58:1–26. .
- 2002. Acute stress response in children with meningococcal sepsis: important differences in the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor I axis between nonsurvivors and survivors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3118–3124. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Autosomal dominant GH deficiency due to an Arg183His GH-1 gene mutation: clinical and molecular evidence of impaired regulated GH secretion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3941–3947. , , .
- 2002. Effect of different growth hormone (GH) mutants on the regulation of GH-receptor gene transcription in a human hepatoma cell line. Eur J Endocrinol 146:573–581. , , , , , .
- 2000. Mutation nomenclature extensions and suggestions to describe complex mutations: a discussion. Hum Mutat 15:7–12. , .
- 1992. Human growth hormone and extracellular domain of its receptor: crystal structure of the complex. Science 255:306–312. , , .
- 2001. Misfolded growth hormone causes fragmentation of the Golgi apparatus and disrupts endoplasmic reticulum-to-Golgi traffic. J Cell Sci 114:3685–3694. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of novel human GH-1 gene polymorphisms that are associated with growth hormone secretion and height. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:1290–1295. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of growth hormone (GH) secretion by a mutant GH-1 gene product in neuroendocrine cells containing secretory granules: an implication for isolated GH deficiency inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2134–2139. , , , , , .
- 2001. Signaling pathways activated by the growth hormone receptor. Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:252–257. , .
- 2003. Human growth hormone 1 (GH1) gene expression: complex haplotype-dependent influence of polymorphic variation in the proximal promoter and the locus control region. Hum Mutat 21:408–423. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Growth hormone can act as a cytokine controlling survival and proliferation of immune cells: new insights into signalling pathways. Mol Cell Endocrinol 188:1–7. , , , , .
- 1999. Growth hormone and the metabolic syndrome. J Endocrinol Invest 22 (Suppl 5):41–46. , .
- 1995. The human growth hormone gene is regulated by a multicomponent locus control region. Mol Cell Biol 15:7010–7021. , , , .
- 1999. Evolution of the proximal promoter region of the mammalian growth hormone gene. Gene 237:143–151. , , .
- 1974. Causes of short stature. Lancet i:42–45. , .
- 2002. Association of a common polymorphism in the human GH1gene with colorectal neoplasia. J Natl Cancer Inst 94:454–460. , , , , , .
- 2000. Autosomal dominant growth hormone (GH) deficiency type II: the del32-71-GH deletion mutant suppresses secretion of wild-type GH. Endocrinology 141:883–890. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Pituitary-specific factor binding to the human prolactin, growth hormone and placental lactogen genes. DNA 8:149–159. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Mitogen-activated protein kinase mediates epidermal growth factor-induced morphogenesis in pituitary GH3 cells. J Neuroendocrinol 14:361–367. , , , , .
- 1993. Utah growth study: growth hormone deficiency prevalence. Pediatr Res 33:81A. , , , , .
- 1998. Growth hormone as a risk for premature mortality in healthy subjects: data from the Paris prospective study. Br Med J 316:1132–1133. , , , , , .
- 1997. Detection of growth hormone gene defects by dideoxyfingerprinting (ddF). Endocr J 44:149–154. , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular and cellular basis of isolated dominant-negative growth hormone deficiency, IGHD type II: insights on the secretory pathway of peptide hormones. Horm Res 58:53–66. , , .
- 1999. Growth hormone binding affinity for its receptor surpasses the requirements for cellular activity. Biochemistry 38:81–89. , , , , .
- 2001. A reassessment of the translation initiation codon in vertebrates. Trends Genet 17:685–687. , .
- 2002. Growth hormone signal transduction. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:771–786. , , .
- 1998. The molecular genetics of growth hormone deficiency. Hum Genet 103:255–272. , , .
- 1977. Aetiology of idiopathic growth hormone deficiency in England and Wales. Arch Dis Child 52:197–208. , .
- 1997. Is growth hormone deficiency a viable diagnosis? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 349–351. .
- 1997. A short isoforms of the human growth hormone receptor functions as a dominant negative inhibitor of the full-length receptor and generates large amounts of binding protein. Mol Endocrinol 11:265–273. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Growth hormone and the immune response to bacterial infection. Horm Res 45:50–54. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Localization of a negative vitamin D response sequence in the human growth hormone gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 292:250–255. , , , .
- 1981. Body composition and nutrient reserves in evolutionary perspective. World Rev Nutr Diet 37:55–83. .
- 1994. Human growth hormone. Pharmacol Rev 46:1–34. , .
- 1996. Short stature caused by a mutant growth hormone. N Engl J Med 334:432–436. , , , , , .
- 1997. Biologically inactive growth hormone caused by an amino acid substitution. J Clin Invest 100:1159–1165. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. An exonic mutation of the GH-1 gene causing familial isolated growth hormone deficiency type II. Clin Genet 61:222–225. , , , , .
- 1999. Increased mortality associated with growth hormone treatment in critically ill adults. N Engl J Med 341:785–792. , , , , , , .
- 1976. Clinical longitudinal standards for height, weight, height velocity, weight velocity, and stages of puberty. Arch Dis Child 51:170–179. , .
- 1983. Assessment of skeletal maturity and prediction of adult height (TW2 Method). 2nd ed. London: Academic Press. , , , , , .
- 1977. Prevalence of severe growth hormone deficiency. Br Med J 2:427–430. , , , , .
- 2000. Synergistic heterozygosity: disease resulting from multiple partial defects in one or more metabolic pathways. Mol Genet Metab 71:10–18. , , , , .
- 1986. A new method for predicting signal sequence cleavage sites. Nucleic Acids Res 14:4683–4690. .
- 2000. Stimulation of endogenous GH and interleukin-6 receptors selectively activates different Jaks and Stats, with a Stat5 specific synergistic effect of dexamethasone. J Endocrinol 165:301–311. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Function switching as a basis for bursts of rapid change during the evolution of pituitary growth hormone. J Mol Evol 44:348–350. .
- 2001. Molecular evolution of GH in primates: characterization of the GH genes from slow loris and marmoset defines an episode of rapid evolutionary change. J Mol Endocrinol 26:249–258. , , .
- 2002. Characterization of the GH gene cluster in a new-world monkey, the marmoset (Callithrix jacchus). J Mol Endocrinol 29:89–97. , .
- 1999. The growth hormone receptor. Chapter 13, Handbook of physiology. Section 7, The endocrine system. Volume 5, Hormonal control of growth. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 397–444. .
- 2002. The role of growth hormone in fetal development. Growth Horm IGF Res 12:137–146. , .
- 1996. Binding in the growth hormone receptor complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:1–6. .
- 2001. Signal transduction via the growth hormone receptor. Cell Signal 13:599–616. , , , , .