For the Mutation Detection 2003 Special Issue
PCR-Based detection of minority point mutations†
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 406–412, May 2004
How to Cite
Mike Makrigiorgos, G. (2004), PCR-Based detection of minority point mutations. Hum. Mutat., 23: 406–412. doi: 10.1002/humu.20024
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2004
- NIH. Grant Numbers: CA 102949, CA 83234, T32 CA09078
- DOD. Grant Number: BC000782
- 1999. Mutation detection using fluorescent enzyme mismatch cleavage with T4 endonuclease VII. Electrophoresis 20:1162–1170. , , .
- 1997. Association mapping of disease loci, by use of a pooled DNA genomic screen. Am J Hum Genet 61:734–747. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Substrate specificity of Escherichia coli MutY protein. Biochemistry 35:13147–13156. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A simple and accurate method for determination of microsatellite total allele content differences between DNA pools. Hum Genet 106:218–226. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Reactivity of cytosine and thymine in single base pair mismatches with hydroxylamine and osmium tetroxide and its application to the study of mutations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85:4397–4401. , , .
- 1998. A simple method for analyzing microsatellite allele image patterns generated from DNA pools and its application to allelic association studies. Am J Hum Genet 62:1189–1197. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Detecting colorectal cancer in stool with the use of multiple genetic targets. J Natl Cancer Inst 93:858–865. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Laser capture microdissection. Science 274:998–1001. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of different DNA polymerases in ligation-mediated PCR: enhanced genomic sequencing and in vivo footprinting. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:1021–1025. , .
- 1989. Detection of minority point mutations by modified PCR technique: a new approach for a sensitive diagnosis of tumor-progression markers. Nucleic Acids Res 17:8093–8099. , , , , , .
- 1999. A versatile mismatch recognition agent: specific cleavage of a plasmid DNA at a single base mispair. Biochemistry 38:4655–4662. , , .
- 2003. Novel amplification of DNA in a hairpin structure: towards a radical elimination of PCR errors from amplified DNA. Nucl Acids Res 31:e26. , .
- 2002. Ligation of a primer at a mutation: a method to detect low level mutations in DNA. Mutagenesis 17:365–374. , , , , , .
- 1989. Fidelity of DNA polymerases in DNA amplification. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86:9253–9257. , .
- 1994. Mutational spectrometry: means and ends. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 49:285–312. , , , , .
- 2000. A sensitive scanning technology for low frequency nuclear point mutations in human genomic DNA. Nucleic Acids Res 28:E44. , .
- 2002. Truncated amplification: a method for high-fidelity template-driven nucleic acid amplification. Biotechniques 33:129–138. , , .
- 1998. Denaturing high performance liquid chromatography (DHPLC) used in the detection of germline and somatic mutations. Nucleic Acids Res 26:1396–1400. , , , , .
- 2003. Detection of hotspot mutations and polymorphisms using an enhanced PCR-RFLP approach. Hum Mutat 21:535–541. , , .
- 2003. Sensitive and quantitative detection of mutations associated with clinical resistance to STI-571. Leuk Res 27:979–982. , .
- 2001. Prospects for applying genotypic selection of somatic oncomutation to chemical risk assessment. Mutat Res 489:47–78. , , , .
- 1985. Detection of single base substitutions in total genomic DNA. Nature 313:495–498. , , , .
- 1993. The purification of a mismatch-specific thymine-DNA glycosylase from HeLa cells. J Biol Chem 268:21218–21224. , .
- 1999. Rapid detection of the factor V Leiden (1691 G>A) and haemochromatosis (845 G>A) mutation by fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) and real time PCR. J Clin Pathol 52:766–769. , , , , , .
- 1988. The mutY gene: a mutator locus in Escherichia coli that generates G.C—T.A transversions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85:2709–2713. , , , .
- 1997. Methods for detection of point mutations: performance and quality assessment. IFCC Scientific Division, Committee on Molecular Biology Techniques. Clin Chem 43:1114–1128. , .
- 2002. Large-scale genotyping of single nucleotide polymorphisms by Pyrosequencing™ and validation against the 5′nuclease (Taqman®) assay. Hum Mutat 19:395–401. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mutation detection using a novel plant endonuclease. Nucleic Acids Res 26:4597–4602. , , , .
- 1997. Genotypic selection methods for the direct analysis of point mutations. Mutat Res 387:97–121. , .
- 1995. Toward fully automated genotyping: genotyping microsatellite markers by deconvolution. Am J Hum Genet 57:1199–1210. , , .
- 1989. Genomic sequencing and methylation analysis by ligation mediated PCR. Science 246:810–813. , , , , .
- 2001. Linkage disequilibrium in the human genome. Nature 411:199–204. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mapping of copper/hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage at nucleotide resolution in human genomic DNA by ligation-mediated polymerase chain reaction. J Biol Chem 270:17633–17640. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Understanding disease cell by cell. Science 296:1329–1330. .
- 2001. Detection of simple mutations and polymorphisms in large genomic regions. Nucleic Acids Res 29:E111. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Haplotype variation and linkage disequilibrium in 313 human genes. Science 293:489–493. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Exhaustive scanning approach to screen all the mitochondrial tRNA genes for mutations and its application to the investigation of 35 independent patients with mitochondrial disorders. Hum Mol Genet 7:33–42. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Enzymatic and chemical cleavage methods. Electrophoresis 20:1125–1130. .
- 1986. Ligation of single-stranded oligodeoxyribonucleotides by T4 RNA ligase. Anal Biochem 158:171–178. , , .
- 2000. Molecular assays for the diagnosis of minimal residual head-and-neck cancer:methods, reliability, pitfalls, and solutions. Clin Cancer Res 6:3803–3816. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Assessing allele frequencies of single nucleotide polymorphisms in DNA pools by pyrosequencing technology. Biotechniques 32:1144–1146, 1148, 1150 passim. , , , .
- 1999. Needle-in-a-haystack detection and identification of base substitution mutations in human tissues. Mutat Res 406:79–100. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Screening for mutations by enzyme mismatch cleavage with T4 endonuclease VII. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:87–91. , , .
- 2002. An amplification and ligation-based method to scan for unknown mutations in DNA. Hum Mutat 20:139–147. , , , , .
- 1998. MutY DNA glycosylase:base release and intermediate complex formation. Biochemistry 37:12384–12394. , .
- 2001. Quantitative detection of single nucleotide polymorphisms for a pooled sample by a bioluminometric assay coupled with modified primer extension reactions (BAMPER). Nucleic Acids Res 29:E93. , , , , , .