Communicated by David N. Cooper
Cystathionine β-synthase mutations: effect of mutation topology on folding and activity†
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2010
© 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 31, Issue 7, pages 809–819, July 2010
How to Cite
Kožich, V., Sokolová, J., Klatovská, V., Krijt, J., Janošík, M., Jelínek, K. and Kraus, J. P. (2010), Cystathionine β-synthase mutations: effect of mutation topology on folding and activity. Hum. Mutat., 31: 809–819. doi: 10.1002/humu.21273
- Issue published online: 24 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 APR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2009
- 2005. HspB8, a small heat shock protein mutated in human neuromuscular disorders, has in vivo chaperone activity in cultured cells. Hum Mol Genet 14:1659–1669. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular genetic analysis of pyridoxine-nonresponsive homocystinuric siblings with different blood methionine levels during the neonatal period. J Med Invest 46:186–191. , , , , .
- 2006. Contrasting behaviors of mutant cystathionine β-synthase enzymes associated with pyridoxine response. Hum Mutat 27:474–482. , , , .
- 1997. Characterisation of five missense mutations in the cystathionine β-synthase gene from three patients with B6-nonresponsive homocystinuria. Eur J Hum Genet 5:15–21. , , , , , .
- 1994. Identical genotypes in siblings with different homocystinuric phenotypes: identification of three mutations in cystathionine β-synthase using an improved bacterial expression system. Hum Mol Genet 3:1103–1108. , , , .
- 1999. Four novel mutations in the cystathionine β-synthase gene: effect of a second linked mutation on the severity of the homocystinuric phenotype. Hum Mutat 13:453–457. , , , , .
- 2002. Alleviation of intrasteric inhibition by the pathogenic activation domain mutation, D444N, in human cystathionine β-synthase. Biochemistry 41:11832–11837. , , , .
- 1964. Starch-gel electrophoresis—application to the classification of pituitary proteins and polypeptides. Metabolism 13(Suppl):985–1002. .
- 1999. Prevalence of congenital homocystinuria in Denmark. N Engl J Med 340:1513. , , .
- 2002. The molecular basis of cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in Australian patients: genotype–phenotype correlations and response to treatment. Hum Mutat 20:117–126. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mutational analysis of the cystathionine β-synthase gene: a splicing mutation, two missense mutations and an insertion in patients with homocystinuria. Mutations in brief no. 120. Online. Hum Mutat 11:332. , , , , , .
- 2008. Cystathionine β-synthase p.S466L mutation causes hyperhomocysteinemia in mice. Hum Mutat 29:1048–1054. , , , , , .
- 1968. Size and charge isomer separation and estimation of molecular weights of proteins by disc gel electrophoresis. Arch Biochem Biophys 126:155–164. , .
- 2007. DNA methylation status is not impaired in treated cystathionine β-synthase (CBS) deficient patients. Mol Genet Metab 91:55–60. , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular basis of cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in pyridoxine responsive and nonresponsive homocystinuria. Hum Mol Genet 2:1857–1860. , , , , , .
- 2001a. Regulation of human cystathionine β-synthase by S-adenosyl-L-methionine: evidence for two catalytically active conformations involving an autoinhibitory domain in the C-terminal region. Biochemistry 40:10625–10633. , , , , .
- 2001b. Impaired heme binding and aggregation of mutant cystathionine β-synthase subunits in homocystinuria. Am J Hum Genet 68:1506–1513. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Birth prevalence of homocystinuria in Central Europe: frequency and pathogenicity of mutation c.1105C T (p.R369C) in the cystathionine β-synthase gene. J Pediatr 154:431–437. , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression study of mutant cystathionine β-synthase found in Japanese patients with homocystinuria. Mol Genet Metab 87:323–328. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Functional modeling of vitamin responsiveness in yeast: a common pyridoxine-responsive cystathionine β-synthase mutation in homocystinuria. Hum Mol Genet 6:2213–2221. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The molecular basis of homocystinuria due to cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in Dutch homocystinuria patients. Effect of CBS genotype on biochemical and clinical phenotype, and on response upon treatment. PhD thesis. The Netherlands: University of Nijmegen. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The molecular basis of cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in Dutch patients with homocystinuria: effect of CBS genotype on biochemical and clinical phenotype and on response to treatment. Am J Hum Genet 65:59–67. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Defective cystathionine β-synthase regulation by S-adenosylmethionine in a partially pyridoxine responsive homocystinuria patient. J Clin Invest 98:285–289. , , , , , , , .
- Restoring assembly and activity of cystathionine β-synthase mutants by ligands and chemical chaperones. J Inherit Metab Dis. DOI: 10.1007/s10545-010-9087-5. , , , . In press.
- 1993. Molecular defect in a patient with pyridoxine-responsive homocystinuria. Hum Mol Genet 2:815–816. , , .
- 1992. Screening for mutations by expressing patient cDNA segments in E. coli: homocystinuria due to cystathionine β-synthase deficiency. Hum Mutat 1:113–123. , .
- 2003. Cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in Georgia: correlation of clinical and biochemical phenotype with genotype. Hum Mutat 22:434–441. , , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680–685. .
- 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193:265–275. , , , .
- 2002. High homocysteine and thrombosis without connective tissue disorders are associated with a novel class of cystathionine β-synthase (CBS) mutations. Hum Mutat 19:641–655. , , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 1994. Characterization of a cystathionine β-synthase allele with three mutations in cis in a patient with B6 nonresponsive homocystinuria. Hum Mol Genet 3:1883–1886. , , , , .
- 2001. Biosynthesis of S-adenosylmethionin. In: CarmelR, JacobsenDW, editors. Homocysteine in health and disease. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 47–62. , , .
- 2001. Structure of human cystathionine β-synthase: a unique pyridoxal 5′-phosphate-dependent heme protein. EMBO J 20:3910–3916. , , , , .
- 2003. Structural insights into mutations of cystathionine β-synthase. Biochim Biophys Acta 1647:206–213. , , , .
- 2004. Structure-based assessment of missense mutations in human BRCA1: implications for breast and ovarian cancer predisposition. Cancer Res 64:3790–3797. , , , , .
- 2001. Disorders of transsulfuration. In: ScriverCR, BeaudetAL, SlyWS, ValleD, editors. The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited disease. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill. p 2007–2056. , , .
- 2002. Effects of heme ligand mutations including a pathogenic variant, H65R, on the properties of human cystathionine β-synthase. Biochemistry 41:4649–4654. , , , .
- 2004. Identification and functional analysis of two novel mutations in the CBS gene in Polish patients with homocystinuria. Hum Mutat 23:631. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Homocystinuria due to cystathionine β-synthase deficiency: novel biochemical findings and treatment efficacy. J Inherit Metab Dis 26:761–773. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Biochemical and structural characterization of a novel family of cystathionine β-synthase domain proteins fused to a Zn ribbon-like domain. J Mol Biol 375:301–315. , , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2004. Birth prevalence of homocystinuria. J Pediatr 144:830–832. , , , , .
- 1993. Comparative protein modelling by satisfaction of spatial restraints. J Mol Biol 234:779–815. , .
- 1994. Derivation of rules for comparative protein modeling from a database of protein structure alignments. Protein Sci 3:1582–1596. , .
- 1995. The molecular basis of homocystinuria due to cystathionine β-synthase deficiency in Italian families, and report of four novel mutations. Am J Hum Genet 56:1324–1333. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mapping peptides correlated with transmission of intrasteric inhibition and allosteric activation in human cystathionine β-synthase. Biochemistry 44:14210–14216. , , , , .
- 2001. Mutations in the regulatory domain of cystathionine β synthase can functionally suppress patient-derived mutations in cis. Hum Mol Genet 10:635–643. , , , .
- 2007. Chemical chaperone rescue of mutant human cystathionine β-synthase. Mol Genet Metab 91:335–342. , , , .
- 2006. Functional assays testing pathogenicity of 14 cystathionine-β synthase mutations. Hum Mutat 27:211. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of mutant human cystathionine β-synthase rescues neonatal lethality but not homocystinuria in a mouse model. Hum Mol Genet 14:2201–2208. , , , , , .
- 2003. How PAH gene mutations cause hyper-phenylalaninemia and why mechanism matters: insights from in vitro expression. Hum Mutat 21:357–369. .
- 2006. Structural insights into pathogenic mutations in heme-dependent cystathionine-β-synthase. J Inorg Biochem 100:1988–1995. , , , .