Communicated by Michel Goossens
Functional characterization and targeted correction of ATM mutations identified in Japanese patients with ataxia-telangiectasia†
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
© 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 198–208, January 2012
How to Cite
Nakamura, K., Du, L., Tunuguntla, R., Fike, F., Cavalieri, S., Morio, T., Mizutani, S., Brusco, A. and Gatti, R. A. (2012), Functional characterization and targeted correction of ATM mutations identified in Japanese patients with ataxia-telangiectasia. Hum. Mutat., 33: 198–208. doi: 10.1002/humu.21632
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 OCT 2011 09:28AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUN 2011
- National Institutes of Health (1R01NS052528)
- A-T Ease Foundation
- A-T Medical Research Foundation
- 2007. Progress in understanding the biology of the human mutagen LINE-1. Hum Mutat 28:527–539. , .
- 2003. DNA damage activates ATM through intermolecular autophosphorylation and dimer dissociation. Nature 421:499–506. , .
- 2005. ATM mutations, haplotype analysis, and immunological status of Russian patients with ataxia telangiectasia. Hum Mutat 25:593–601. , , , , , , , .
- 1958. Ataxia-telangiectasia; a familial syndrome of progressive cerebellar ataxia, oculocutaneous telangiectasia and frequent pulmonary infection. Pediatrics 21:526–554. , .
- 2009. Recent advances in cancer therapy targeting proteins involved in DNA double-strand break repair. Clin Cancer Res 15:6314–6320. , , , .
- 1998. ATM germline mutations in classical ataxia-telangiectasia patients in the Dutch population. Hum Mutat 12:330–337. , , , , , , .
- 2003. ATM mutations on distinct SNP and STR haplotypes in ataxia-telangiectasia patients of differing ethnicities reveal ancestral founder effects. Hum Mutat 21:80–85. , , , , , .
- 2003. ESEfinder: a web resource to identify exonic splicing enhancers. Nucleic Acids Res 31:3568–3571. , , , , .
- 2008. Large genomic mutations within the ATM gene detected by MLPA, including a duplication of 41 kb from exon 4 to 20. Ann Hum Genet 72(Pt 1):10–18. , , , , , .
- 2006. ATM mutations in Italian families with ataxia telangiectasia include two distinct large genomic deletions. Hum Mutat 27:1061–1070. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Five haplotypes account for fifty-five percent of ATM mutations in Brazilian patients with ataxia telangiectasia: seven new mutations. Am J Med Genet A 126:33–40. , , , , , , , , , , Raskin S, Kim CA, Llerena J Jr, Gatti RA.
- 1965. Misreading of RNA codewords induced by aminoglycoside antibiotics. Mol Pharmacol 1:93–106. , , .
- 2010. A model for the study of ligand binding to the ribosomal RNA helix h44. Nucleic Acids Res 38:4458–4465. , , .
- 2009. Nonaminoglycoside compounds induce readthrough of nonsense mutations. J Exp Med 206:2285–2297. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Arginine-rich cell-penetrating peptide dramatically enhances AMO-mediated ATM aberrant splicing correction and enables delivery to brain and cerebellum. Hum Mol Genet 20:3151–3160. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rapid screen for truncating ATM mutations by PTT-ELISA. Mutat Res 640:139–144. , , , .
- 2007. Correction of prototypic ATM splicing mutations and aberrant ATM function with antisense morpholino oligonucleotides. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104:6007–6012. , , .
- 1998. Mutations of the ATM gene detected in Japanese ataxia-telangiectasia patients: possible preponderance of the two founder mutations 4612del165 and 7883del5. Hum Genet 102:403–408. , .
- 2004. Nonclassical splicing mutations in the coding and noncoding regions of the ATM Gene: maximum entropy estimates of splice junction strengths. Hum Mutat 23:67–76. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ataxia-telangiectasia in the Japanese population: identification of R1917X, W2491R, R2909G, IVS33+2T–>A, and 7883del5, the latter two being relatively common mutations. Hum Mutat 12:338–343. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2001. Ataxia-telangiectasia. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, editors. The Metabolic and Molecular Basis of Inherited Disease. Edition 8. New York: McGraw-Hill 677–704. .
- 1988. Localization of an ataxia-telangiectasia gene to chromosome 11q22–23. Nature 336:577–580. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 1996a. Ataxia-telangiectasia: founder effect among north African Jews. Hum Mol Genet 5:2033–2037. , , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 1996b. Predominance of null mutations in ataxia-telangiectasia. Hum Mol Genet 5:433–439. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2009. A microhomology-mediated break-induced replication model for the origin of human copy number variation. PLoS Genet 5:e1000327. , , .
- 2002. LINE drive. Retrotransposition and genome instability. Cell 110:277–280. , .
- 2006. Involvement of novel autophosphorylation sites in ATM activation. EMBO J 25:3504–3514. , , , , , .
- 1998. Identical mutation in 55% of the ATM alleles in 11 Norwegian AT families: evidence for a founder effect. Eur J Hum Genet 6:235–244. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Correction of ATM gene function by aminoglycoside-induced read-through of premature termination codons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101:15676–15681. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Localization of an ataxia-telangiectasia gene to an approximately 500-kb interval on chromosome 11q23.1: linkage analysis of 176 families by an international consortium. Am J Hum Genet 57:112–119. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2001. A mechanism for exon skipping caused by nonsense or missense mutations in BRCA1 and other genes. Nat Genet 27:55–58. , , , .
- 2003. Comparison of X-ray crystal structure of the 30S subunit-antibiotic complex with NMR structure of decoding site oligonucleotide-paromomycin complex. Structure 11:43–53. , , .
- 2007. ATM and ATR substrate analysis reveals extensive protein networks responsive to DNA damage. Science 316:1160–1166. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 1996. Mutations associated with variant phenotypes in ataxia-telangiectasia. Am J Hum Genet 59:320–330. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Human tyrosine kinase 2 deficiency reveals its requisite roles in multiple cytokine signals involved in innate and acquired immunity. Immunity 25:745–755. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2005. ATM gene founder haplotypes and associated mutations in Polish families with ataxia-telangiectasia. Ann Hum Genet 69(Pt 6):657–664. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2003. Independent mutational events are rare in the ATM gene: haplotype prescreening enhances mutation detection rate. Hum Mutat 22:43–50. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2009. Functional and computational assessment of missense variants in the ataxia-telangiectasia mutated (ATM) gene: mutations with increased cancer risk. Hum Mutat 30:12–21. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2008. Vivo-Morpholinos: a non-peptide transporter delivers Morpholinos into a wide array of mouse tissues. Biotechniques 45:613–614, 616, 618 passim. , , .
- 2009. Phenotypic variations between affected siblings with ataxia-telangiectasia: ataxia-telangiectasia in Japan. Int J Hematol 90:455–462. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2009. Gene knockdowns in adult animals: PPMOs and vivo-morpholinos. Molecules 14:1304–1323. , .
- 2009. Rapid flow cytometry-based structural maintenance of chromosomes 1 (SMC1) phosphorylation assay for identification of ataxia-telangiectasia homozygotes and heterozygotes. Clin Chem 55:463–472. , , , .
- 2004. A comparison of inbreeding rates in India, Japan, Europe and China. HOMO—J Comp Hum Biol 55:113–128.
- 1995. A single ataxia telangiectasia gene with a product similar to PI-3 kinase. Science 268:1749–1753. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2002. Relative quantification of 40 nucleic acid sequences by multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification. Nucleic Acids Res 30:e57. , , , , , .
- 2006. The ATM-mediated DNA-damage response: taking shape. Trends Biochem Sci 31:402–410.
- 2006. An increased specificity score matrix for the prediction of SF2/ASF-specific exonic splicing enhancers. Hum Mol Genet 15:2490–2508. , , , , , .
- 2001. Caretaker-Gen-Syndrome:Molekulargenetische und Funktionelle Studien. PhD Thesis, Wuerzburg: Julius-Maximilians-University Wuerzburg.
- 1975. Possible use of established cell lines for MLR locus typing. Tissue Antigens 5:186–195. , , .
- Bernatowska-Matuszkiewicz E and others. 1998a. Ataxia-telangiectasia: identification and detection of founder-effect mutations in the ATM gene in ethnic populations. Am J Hum Genet 62:86–97. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1998b. A model for ATM heterozygote identification in a large population: four founder-effect ATM mutations identify most of Costa Rican patients with ataxia telangiectasia. Mol Genet Metab 64:36–43. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Splicing defects in the ataxia-telangiectasia gene, ATM: underlying mutations and consequences. Am J Hum Genet 64:1617–1631. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 1999. NS22: a highly polymorphic complex microsatellite marker within the ATM gene. Am J Med Genet 82:287–289. , , , , .
- 1998. The association of nonsense codons with exon skipping. Mutat Res 411:87–117.
- 1995. A high-density microsatellite map of the ataxia-telangiectasia locus. Hum Genet 95:451–454. , , , , , , , , , and others.
- 2010. Atm-deficient mice exhibit increased sensitivity to dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis characterized by elevated DNA damage and persistent immune activation. Cancer Res 70:1875–1884. , .
- 2004. Maximum entropy modeling of short sequence motifs with applications to RNA splicing signals. J Comput Biol 11:377–394. , .