For the Focus on CNV Detection with Diagnostic Arrays
Arrays in postnatal and prenatal diagnosis: An exploration of the ethics of consent†
Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Focus on CNV Detection with Diagnostic Arrays
Volume 33, Issue 6, pages 916–922, June 2012
How to Cite
Dondorp, W., Sikkema-Raddatz, B., de Die-Smulders, C. and de Wert, G. (2012), Arrays in postnatal and prenatal diagnosis: An exploration of the ethics of consent. Hum. Mutat., 33: 916–922. doi: 10.1002/humu.22068
- Issue published online: 7 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 MAR 2012 10:57AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 NOV 2011
- CSG Centre for Society and the Life Sciences; Netherlands Genomics Initiative; Research Project “The $1000 Genome: Ethics of Whole Genome Sequencing in Public Health Care” (70.1.070)
- 2009. Principles of biomedical ethics. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2011. Deploying whole genome sequencing in clinical practice and public health: meeting the challenge one bin at a time. Genet Med 13:499–504. , , .
- 2009. Public and Professional Policy Committee (PPPC) of the European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG). Genetic testing in asymptomatic minors: background considerations towards ESHG recommendations. Eur J Hum Genet 17:711–719. , , , , .
- 2008. The “fetus as patient”: a critique. Am J Bioeth 8:47–50.
- 2010. The role of attitudes towards the targets of behaviour in predicting and informing prenatal testing choices. Psychol Health 25:1175–1194. , , .
- 1989. Deciding for others: The ethics of surrogate decision making. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2011. Advances in prenatal screening: the ethical dimension. Nat Rev Genet 12:657–663. , , , , .
- 2002. Ethical aspects of prenatal testing and pre-implantation genetic diagnosis for late onset neurogenetic disease: the case of Huntington's disease. In: Evers-Kiebooms G, Zoetewij M, Harper P, editors. Prenatal testing for late-onset neurogenetic diseases. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers. pp 129–157. .
- 2006. Ethical issues. In: Van Vugt M, Shulman K editors. Prenatal medicine. New York/London: Taylor & Francis. pp 575–604. , .
- 2010. The ‘thousand-dollar genome’: an ethical exploration. The Hague, the Netherlands: Health Council of the Netherlands. http://www.gezondheidsraad.nl/sites/default/files/201015E.pdf (last accessed 16 March 2012) , .
- 1994. Generic consent for genetic screening. N Engl J Med 330:1611–1613. , .
- European Society of Human Genetics. 2009. Genetic testing in asymptomatic minors: recommendations of the European Society of Human Genetics. Eur J Hum Genet 17:720–721.
- 1980. The child's right to an open future. In: Aiken W, Lafollette H, editors. Whose child? Children's rights, parental autonomy, and state power. New Jersey: Littlefield, Adams & Co. pp 124–153.
- Health Council of the Netherlands. 2009. Care for the unborn child. The Hague, the Netherlands: Health Council of the Netherlands. http://www.gezondheidsraad.nl/sites/default/files/200901E.pdf (accessed 16 March 2012).
- International Huntington Association and World Federation of Neurology. 1994. Guidelines for the molecular predictive test in Huntington's disease. Neurology 44:1533–1536.
- 2008. Should physicians warn patients' relatives of genetic risks? Can Med Assoc J 178:593–595. , , , .
- 1987. Moral obligations to the not-yet born: the fetus as patient. Clin Perinatol 14:329–343.
- 2009. New challenges for informed consent through whole genome array testing. J Med Genet 46:495–496. , , , .
- 2009. Current controversies in prenatal diagnosis 3: for prenatal diagnosis, should we offer less or more than metaphase karyotyping? Prenat Diagn 29:11–14. , , .
- 2006. The target of testing. Dealing with ‘unexpected’ findings in prenatal diagnosis. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Buijten & Schipperheijn. .
- 2012. Genome-wide arrays: quality criteria and platforms to be used in routine diagnostics. Hum Mutat in press , , , , .
- 2012. The introduction of arrays in prenatal diagnosis: a special challenge. Hum Mutat 33. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genomic microarrays in mental retardation: from copy number variation to gene, from research to diagnosis. J Med Genet 47:289–297. , , .
- 2002. Serious genetic disorders: can or should they be defined? Am J Med Genet 108:29–35. , .
- 2005. To know or not to know? Genetic ignorance, autonomy and paternalism. Bioethics 19:492–504.