Communicated by Michel Goossens
Guidelines for splicing analysis in molecular diagnosis derived from a set of 327 combined in silico/in vitro studies on BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants†
Article first published online: 11 MAY 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 33, Issue 8, pages 1228–1238, August 2012
How to Cite
Houdayer, C., Caux-Moncoutier, V., Krieger, S., Barrois, M., Bonnet, F., Bourdon, V., Bronner, M., Buisson, M., Coulet, F., Gaildrat, P., Lefol, C., Léone, M., Mazoyer, S., Muller, D., Remenieras, A., Révillion, F., Rouleau, E., Sokolowska, J., Vert, J.-P., Lidereau, R., Soubrier, F., Sobol, H., Sevenet, N., Bressac-de Paillerets, B., Hardouin, A., Tosi, M., Sinilnikova, O. M. and Stoppa-Lyonnet, D. (2012), Guidelines for splicing analysis in molecular diagnosis derived from a set of 327 combined in silico/in vitro studies on BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants. Hum. Mutat., 33: 1228–1238. doi: 10.1002/humu.22101
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 11 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 APR 2012 03:52PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 DEC 2011
- Institut National du Cancer
- 2008. Unclassified variants identified in BRCA1 exon 11: consequences on splicing. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:418–426. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Inhibition of nonsense-mediated messenger RNA decay in clinical samples facilitates detection of human MSH2 mutations with an in vivo fusion protein assay and conventional techniques. Cancer Res 57:3288–3293. , , .
- 2000. Cold shock induces the insertion of a cryptic exon in the neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1) mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res 28:1307–1312. , , , , .
- 2008. Screening BRCA1 and BRCA2 unclassified variants for splicing mutations using reverse transcription PCR on patient RNA and an ex vivo assay based on a splicing reporter minigene. J Med Genet 45:438–446. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- A new VCAN/versican splice acceptor site mutation in a French Wagner family associated with vascular and inflammatory ocular features. Mol Vis 17:1669–1678. , , , , , .
- 2002. Listening to silence and understanding nonsense: exonic mutations that affect splicing. Nat Rev Genet 3:285–298. , , .
- 2003. ESEfinder: a web resource to identify exonic splicing enhancers. Nucleic Acids Res 31:3568–3571. , , , , .
- 2011. EMMA, a cost- and time-effective diagnostic method for simultaneous detection of point mutations and large-scale genomic rearrangements: Application to BRCA1 and BRCA2 in 1,525 patients. Hum Mutat 32:325–334. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Impact of BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants on splicing: clues from an allelic imbalance study. Eur J Hum Genet 17:1471–1480. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genome-wide association between branch point properties and alternative splicing. PLoS Comput Biol 6:e1001016. , , , .
- 2007. A deep intronic mutation in the RB1 gene leads to intronic sequence exonisation. Eur J Hum Genet 15:473–477. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Human splicing finder: an online bioinformatics tool to predict splicing signals. Nucleic Acids Res 37:e67. , , , , , .
- 2011. SMN2 exon 7 splicing is inhibited by binding of hnRNP A1 to a common ESS motif that spans the 3′ splice site. Hum Mutat 32:220–230. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Predictive identification of exonic splicing enhancers in human genes. Science 297:1007–1013. , , , .
- 2011. Use of splicing reporter minigene assay to evaluate the effect on splicing of unclassified genetic variants. Methods Mol Biol 653:249–257. , , , , , .
- 2011. Alternative splicing at a NAGNAG acceptor site as a novel phenotype modifier. PLoS Genet 6:e1001153. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Tumor characteristics as an analytic tool for classifying genetic variants of uncertain clinical significance. Hum Mutat 29:1292–1303. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of intronic mutations in the LDLR gene on pre-mRNA splicing: comparison of wet-lab and bioinformatics analyses. Mol Genet Metab 96:245–252. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evaluation of in silico splice tools for decision-making in molecular diagnosis. Hum Mutat 29:975–982. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Prolonged pursuit by optokinetic drum testing in asymptomatic female carriers of novel FRMD7 splice mutation c.1050 +5 G>A. Arch Ophthalmol 129:936–940. , , , , .
- 2006. In silico and in vivo splicing analysis of MLH1 and MSH2 missense mutations shows exon- and tissue-specific effects. BMC Genomics 7:243. , , , , .
- 2009. Virtual screening with support vector machines and structure kernels. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen 12:409–423. , .
- 2010. The c.5242C>A BRCA1 missense variant induces exon skipping by increasing splicing repressors binding. Breast Cancer Res Treat 120:391–399. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Automated splicing mutation analysis by information theory. Hum Mutat 25:334–342. , .
- 2003. Emerging roles of BRCA1 alternative splicing. Mol Pathol 56191–197. , .
- 2008. Sequence variant classification and reporting: recommendations for improving the interpretation of cancer susceptibility genetic test results. Hum Mutat 29:1282–1291. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Improved splice site detection in Genie. J Comput Biol 4:311–23. , , , .
- 1987. RNA splice junctions of different classes of eukaryotes: sequence statistics and functional implications in gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res 15:7155–7174. , .
- 2008. Prediction and assessment of splicing alterations: implications for clinical testing. Hum Mutat 29:1304–1313. , , , , .
- 2003. Random forest: a classification and regression tool for compound classification and QSAR modeling. J Chem Inf Comput Sci 43:1947–1958. , , , , , .
- 2011. Contribution of bioinformatics predictions and functional splicing assays to the interpretation of unclassified variants of the BRCA genes. Eur J Hum Genet 19:1052–1058. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Characterization of BRCA1 and BRCA2 splicing variants: a collaborative report by ENIGMA consortium members. Breast Cancer Res Treat 132:1009–1023. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Enhanced exon 2 skipping caused by c.910G>A variant and alternative splicing of MEFV genes in two independent cases of familial Mediterranean fever. Mod Rheumatol 22:45–51. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A large fraction of unclassified variants of the mismatch repair genes MLH1 and MSH2 is associated with splicing defects. Hum Mutat 29:1412–1424. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Intronic variants in BRCA1 and BRCA2 that affect RNA splicing can be reliably selected by splice-site prediction programs. Hum Mutat 30:107–114. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Detection of splicing aberrations caused by BRCA1 and BRCA2 sequence variants encoding missense substitutions: implications for prediction of pathogenicity. Hum Mutat 31:E1484–E1505. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Splicing and multifactorial analysis of intronic BRCA1 and BRCA2 sequence variants identifies clinically significant splicing aberrations up to 12 nucleotides from the intron/exon boundary. Hum Mutat 32:678–687. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Illegitimate splicing of the NF1 gene in healthy individuals mimics mutation-induced splicing alterations in NF1 patients. Hum Genet 106:311–313. , , , .
- 2007. Extensive in silico analysis of NF1 splicing defects uncovers determinants for splicing outcome upon 5′ splice-site disruption. Hum Mutat 28:599–612. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Maximum entropy modeling of short sequence motifs with applications to RNA splicing signals. J Comput Biol 11:377–394. , .
- 2008. RNA landscape of evolution for optimal exon and intron discrimination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5797–802. , , , .
- 1993. Receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) plots: a fundamental evaluation tool in clinical medicine. Clin Chem 39:561–577. , .