First two authors have contributed equally to the work.
Ribosome readthrough accounts for secreted full-length factor IX in hemophilia B patients with nonsense mutations†
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Databases in Neurogenetics
Volume 33, Issue 9, pages 1373–1376, September 2012
How to Cite
Pinotti, M., Caruso, P., Canella, A., Campioni, M., Tagariello, G., Castaman, G., Giacomelli, S., Belvini, D. and Bernardi, F. (2012), Ribosome readthrough accounts for secreted full-length factor IX in hemophilia B patients with nonsense mutations. Hum. Mutat., 33: 1373–1376. doi: 10.1002/humu.22120
Communicated by John McVey
- Issue published online: 13 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 MAY 2012 11:17AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2012
- University of Ferrara, Telethon, Italy. Grant Number: GGP09183
- Fondazione CARIFE; Ministero dell'Università e della Ricerca (MIUR)—Progetti di Ricerca di Interesse Nazionale (PRIN); AIFA (AIFA 2008—Bando per le malattie rare—Progetto RF-null-2008-1235892)
- 2005. Molecular genotyping of the Italian cohort of patients with hemophilia B. Haematologica 90:635–642. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Haemophilias A and B. Lancet 361:1801–1809. , .
- 2001. UAG readthrough in mammalian cells: effect of upstream and downstream stop codon contexts reveal different signals. BMC Mol Biol 2:3. , .
- 2007. Inhibitor development in haemophilia B: an orphan disease in need of attention. Br J Haematol 138:305–315.
- 1992. Molecular and cellular biology of blood coagulation. N Engl J Med 326:800–806. , .
- 2004. Characterization of mild coagulation factor VII deficiency: activity and clearance of the Arg315Trp and Arg315Lys variants in the Cys310-Cys329 loop (c170s). Haematologica 89:1504–1509. , , , , , .
- 1998. Haemophilia B: database of point mutations and short additions and deletions—eighth edition. Nucleic Acids Res 26:265–268. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Comparative modeling methods: application to the family of the mammalian serine proteases. Proteins 7:317–334.
- 1998. The factor VIII Structure and Mutation Resource Site: HAMSTeRS version 4. Nucleic Acids Res 26:216–219. , , .
- 2006. Nonsense-mediated mRNA decay modulates clinical outcome of genetic disease. Eur J Hum Genet 14:1074–1081. , , .
- 1997. The carboxyl-terminal region of factor IX is essential for its secretion. Biochemistry 36:4337–4344. , , .
- 2001. Haemophilia B mutations in Sweden: a population-based study of mutational heterogeneity. Br J Haematol 113:81–86. , , , .
- 2000. Aminoglycoside antibiotics mediate context-dependent suppression of termination codons in a mammalian translation system. RNA 6:1044–1055. , , .
- 2008. A meta-analysis of nonsense mutations causing human genetic disease. Hum Mutat 29:1037–1047. , , , .
- 2001. Impact of the six nucleotides downstream of the stop codon on translation termination. EMBO Rep 2:787–793. , , .
- 2011. Efficiency of translation termination in humans is highly dependent upon nucleotides in the neighbourhood of a (premature) termination codon. J Med Genet 48:640–644. , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular mechanisms of FVII deficiency: expression of mutations clustered in the IVS7 donor splice site of factor VII gene. Blood 92:1646–1651. , , , , , .
- 2002. Reduced activation of the Gla19Ala FX variant via the extrinsic coagulation pathway results in symptomatic CRMred FX deficiency. Thromb Haemost 88:236–241. , , , , , .
- 2006. Intracellular readthrough of nonsense mutations by aminoglycosides in coagulation factor VII. J Thromb Haemost 4:1308–1314. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Polypeptide chain termination and stop codon readthrough on eukaryotic ribosomes. Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 155:1–30. , , .
- 2010. Severe hemophilia with mild bleeding phenotype: molecular characterization and global coagulation profile. J Thromb Haemost 8:737–743. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Anaphylactic response to factor IX replacement therapy in haemophilia B patients: complete gene deletions confer the highest risk. Haemophilia 5:101–105. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The major 5' determinant in stop codon read-through involves two adjacent adenines. Nucleic Acids Res 32:415–421. , , , .