Communicated by David E. Goldgar
Analysis of BRCA1 Variants in Double-Strand Break Repair by Homologous Recombination and Single-Strand Annealing
Article first published online: 12 DEC 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 34, Issue 3, pages 439–445, March 2013
How to Cite
Towler, W. I., Zhang, J., Ransburgh, D. J. R., Toland, A. E., Ishioka, C., Chiba, N. and Parvin, J. D. (2013), Analysis of BRCA1 Variants in Double-Strand Break Repair by Homologous Recombination and Single-Strand Annealing. Hum. Mutat., 34: 439–445. doi: 10.1002/humu.22251
Contract grant sponsors: National Institutes of Health (R01 CA141090); The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 NOV 2012 12:30PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUL 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01 CA141090
- Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
- 2004. Analysis of missense variation in human BRCA1 in the context of interspecific sequence variation. J Med Genet 41:492–507. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Alternative-NHEJ is a mechanistically distinct pathway of mammalian chromosome break repair. PLoS Genet 4:e1000110. , , , .
- 2009. A yeast recombination assay to characterize human BRCA1 missense variants of unknown pathological significance. Hum Mutat 30:123–133. , , , , .
- 2007. Determination of cancer risk associated with germ line BRCA1 missense variants by functional analysis. Cancer Res 67:1494–1501. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Expression of human BRCA1 variants in mouse ES cells allows functional analysis of BRCA1 mutations. J Clin Invest 119:3160–3171. , , , , .
- 2006. Genetic and histopathologic evaluation of BRCA1 and BRCA2 DNA sequence variants of unknown clinical significance. Cancer Res 66:2019–2027. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A DNA damage response screen identifies RHINO, a 9-1-1 and TopBP1 interacting protein required for ATR signaling. Science 332:1313–1317. , , 3rd, , , , .
- 2005. No evidence of false reassurance among women with an inconclusive BRCA1/2 genetic test result. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2862–2867. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A systematic genetic assessment of 1,433 sequence variants of unknown clinical significance in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 breast cancer-predisposition genes. Am J Hum Genet 81:873–883. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Integrated evaluation of DNA sequence variants of unknown clinical significance: application to BRCA1 and BRCA2. Am J Hum Genet 75:535–544. , , , , , .
- 2009. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in women of different ethnicities undergoing testing for hereditary breast-ovarian cancer. Cancer 115:2222–2233. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Application of embryonic lethal or other obvious phenotypes to characterize the clinical significance of genetic variants found in trans with known deleterious mutations. Cancer Res 65:10096–10103. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Functional differences among BRCA1 missense mutations in the control of centrosome duplication. Oncogene 31:799–804. , , , .
- 1996. BRCA1 mutations in a population-based sample of young women with breast cancer. N Engl J Med 334:137–142. , , , , .
- 2010. Comprehensive analysis of missense variations in the BRCT domain of BRCA1 by structural and functional assays. Cancer Res 70:4880–4890. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. A review of a multifactorial probability-based model for classification of BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants of uncertain significance (VUS). Hum Mutat 33:8–21. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. A guide for functional analysis of BRCA1 variants of uncertain significance. Hum Mutat 33:1526–1537. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Genetic analysis of BRCA1 ubiquitin ligase activity and its relationship to breast cancer susceptibility. Hum Mol Genet 15:599–606. , , , , , .
- 2001. BRCA2 is required for homology-directed repair of chromosomal breaks. Mol Cell 7:263–272. , , .
- 2007. Classification of missense variants of unknown significance in BRCA1 based on clinical and tumor information. Hum Mutat 28:477–485. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identifying the effects of BRCA1 mutations on homologous recombination using cells that express endogenous wild-type BRCA1. J Vis Exp 48:2468. , , .
- 2002. Clinical interpretation and recommendations for patients with a variant of uncertain significance in BRCA1 or BRCA2: a survey of genetic counseling practice. Genet Test 6:107–113. , , , .
- 2001. Ku DNA end-binding protein modulates homologous repair of double-strand breaks in mammalian cells. Genes Dev 15:3237–3242. , , , , .
- 2008. Sequence variant classification and reporting: recommendations for improving the interpretation of cancer susceptibility genetic test results. Hum Mutat 29:1282–1291. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Identification of breast tumor mutations in BRCA1 that abolish its function in homologous DNA recombination. Cancer Res 70:988–995. , , , , .
- 2001. Cancer-predisposing mutations within the RING domain of BRCA1: loss of ubiquitin protein ligase activity and protection from radiation hypersensitivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5134–9. , , , , .
- 2008. Clinically applicable models to characterize BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants of uncertain significance. J Clin Oncol 26:5393–5400. , , , , , .
- kConFab Investigators. 2008. Clinical classification of BRCA1 and BRCA2 DNA sequence variants: the value of cytokeratin profiles and evolutionary analysis—a report from the kConFab Investigators. J Clin Oncol 26:1657–1663. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Genetic steps of mammalian homologous repair with distinct mutagenic consequences. Mol Cell Biol 24:9305–9316. , , , , .
- 2009. Characterization of BRCA1 ring finger variants of uncertain significance. Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:737–743. , , , , .
- 2006. Comprehensive statistical study of 452 BRCA1 missense substitutions with classification of eight recurrent substitutions as neutral. J Med Genet 43:295–305. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Classification of missense substitutions in the BRCA genes: a database dedicated to Ex-UVs. Hum Mutat 33:22–28. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Clinical characteristics affect the impact of an uninformative DNA test result: the course of worry and distress experienced by women who apply for genetic testing for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 24:3672–3677. , , , , , .
- 2001. The R71G BRCA1 is a founder Spanish mutation and leads to aberrant splicing of the transcript. Hum Mutat 17:520–521. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rapid recruitment of BRCA1 to DNA double-strand breaks is dependent on its association with Ku80. Mol Cell Biol 28:7380–7393. , , , , , .