Additional Supporting Information may be found in the online version of this article.
Prediction of Mutant mRNA Splice Isoforms by Information Theory-Based Exon Definition
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 34, Issue 4, pages 557–565, April 2013
How to Cite
Mucaki, E. J., Shirley, B. C. and Rogan, P. K. (2013), Prediction of Mutant mRNA Splice Isoforms by Information Theory-Based Exon Definition. Hum. Mutat., 34: 557–565. doi: 10.1002/humu.22277
Contract grant sponsors: Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (371758-2009); Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation; Canada Foundation For Innovation; Canada Research Chairs; Compute Canada; Western University; and Cytognomix Inc.
Communicated by Michael Dean
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 JAN 2013 08:55AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 OCT 2012
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: 371758-2009
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- Canada Foundation For Innovation
- Canada Research Chairs
- Compute Canada
- Western University
- Cytognomix Inc
- 1995. Exon recognition in vertebrate splicing. J Biol Chem 270:2411–2414.
- 2012. Splicing of internal large exons is defined by novel cis-acting sequence elements. Nucleic Acids Res 40(18):9244–9254. , .
- 2002. Disruption of an SF2/ASF-dependent exonic splicing enhancer in SMN2 causes spinal muscular atrophy in the absence of SMN1. Nat Genet 30:377–384. , .
- 2003. Differentiating pathogenic mutations from polymorphic alterations in the splice sites of BRCA1 and BRCA2. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 37:314–320. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pathological splice mutations outside the invariant AG/GT splice sites of BRCA1 exon 5 increase alternative transcript levels in the 5′ end of the BRCA1 gene. Oncogene 21:4171–4175. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Categorization and characterization of transcript-confirmed constitutively and alternatively spliced introns and exons from human. Hum Mol Genet 11: 451–464. , .
- 2006. Elements of information theory. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Interscience, p. 748. , .
- 2010. Locus Reference genomic sequences: an improved basis for describing human DNA variants. Genome Med 2:24. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Exon and intron definition in pre-mRNA splicing. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA 4(1):49–60. , ,
- 2009. Ab initio prediction of mutation-induced cryptic splice-site activation and exon skipping. Eur J Hum Genet 17:759–765. , , , .
- 1991. Selection of splice sites in pre-mRNAs with short internal exons. Mol Cell Biol 11(12):6075–6083. , .
- 1992. Cooperation of pre-mRNA sequence elements in splice site selection. Mol Cell Biol 12:2108–2114. , .
- 2010. Overlapping splicing regulatory motifs–combinatorial effects on splicing. Nucleic Acids Res 38:3318–3327. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Arginine/serine-rich domains of SR proteins can function as activators of pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell 1:765–771. , .
- 1997. U1 small nuclear RNA-promoted exon selection requires a minimal distance between the position of U1 binding and the 3′ splice site across the exon. Mol Cell Biol 17:7099–7107. , .
- 2005. Serine/arginine-rich protein-dependent suppression of exon skipping by exonic splicing enhancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:5002–5007. , , , , .
- 1957. Information theory and statistical mechanics. Phys Rev 106:620–630.
- 2011. Using positional distribution to identify splicing elements and predict pre-mRNA processing defects in human genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108(27):11093–11098. , , , , .
- 2000. Exonic splicing enhancer motif recognized by human SC35 under splicing conditions. Mol Cell Biol 20:1063–1071. , , , , .
- 1998. Identification of functional exonic splicing enhancer motifs recognized by individual SR proteins. Genes Dev 12:1998–2012. , , .
- 2009. Analysis of the CTNS gene in 32 cystinosis patients from Spain Clin Genet 76:486–489. , , , , .
- 2011. Comprehensive prediction of mRNA splicing effects of BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants. Hum Mutat 32(7):735–742. doi: 10.1002/humu.21513. Epub 2011 May 5. , , .
- 2005. Automated splicing mutation analysis by information theory. Hum Mutat 25:334–342. , .
- 1990. Exon definition may facilitate splice site selection in RNAs with multiple exons. Mol Cell Biol 10:84–94. , , .
- 1998. Information analysis of human splice site mutations. Hum Mutat 12:153–171. , , .
- 2003. Information theory-based analysis of CYP219, CYP2D6 and CYP3A5 splicing mutations. Pharmacogenetics 13:207–218. , , .
- 2009. Ab initio exon definition using an information theory-based approach. CISS 2009, 43rd Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems p. 847–852. doi: 10.1109/CISS.2009.5054835.
- 2003. CDKN2A point mutations D153spl(c.457G>T) and IVS2+1G>T result in aberrant splice products affecting both p16INK4a and p14ARF. Oncogene 22:4444–4448. , , , , .
- 2010. A high proportion of DNA variants of BRCA1 and BRCA2 is associated with aberrant splicing in breast/ovarian cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 16:1957–1967. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Delila system tools. Nucleic Acids Res 12:129–140. , , , .
- 1997. Information content of individual genetic sequences. J Theor Biol 189:427–441.
- 2001. Anatomy of Escherichia coli ribosome binding sites. J Mol Biol 313:215–228. , , , .
- 2006. An increased specificity score matrix for the prediction of SF2/ASF-specific exonic splicing enhancers. Hum Mol Genet 15(16):2490–508. , , , , , .
- 2006. ASD: a bioinformatics resource on alternative splicing. Nucl Acids Res 34(suppl 1):D46–D55. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sequencing EVC and EVC2 identifies mutations in two-thirds of Ellis-van Creveld syndrome patients. Hum Genet 120:663–670. , , , , , , , .
- 1961. Thermostatics and thermodynamics: an introduction to energy, information and states of matter, with engineering applications. Princeton, NJ: Van Nostrand, p. 649.