Maori origins, Y-chromosome haplotypes and implications for human history in the Pacific
Article first published online: 2 APR 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: SNP 2000: Third International Meeting on Single Nucleotide Polymorphism and Complex Genome Analysis
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 271–280, April 2001
How to Cite
Underhill, P. A., Passarino, G., Lin, A. A., Marzuki, S., Oefner, P. J., Cavalli-Sforza, L. L. and Chambers, G. K. (2001), Maori origins, Y-chromosome haplotypes and implications for human history in the Pacific. Hum. Mutat., 17: 271–280. doi: 10.1002/humu.23
- Issue published online: 2 APR 2001
- Article first published online: 2 APR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2000
- NIH. Grant Number: GMS 28428
- 1998. Female gene flow stratifies Hindu castes. Nature 395:651–652. .
- 1978. Man’s conquest of the Pacific: the prehistory of Southeast Asia and Oceania. New York: Oxford University Press. 462 p. .
- 1989. The colonization of the Pacific: some current hypotheses. In: HillAVS, SerjeantsonSW, editors. The colonization of the Pacific: a genetic trail. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 1–59. .
- 1999. An Asian-native American paternal lineage identified by RPS4Y resequencing and by microsatellite haplotyping. Ann Hum Genet 63:63–80. .
- 2001. A predominantly indigenous paternal heritage for the Austronesian-speaking peoples of insular Southeast Asia and Oceania. Am J Hum Genet 68:432–443. .
- 1985. A human Y-linked DNA polymorphism and its potential for estimating genetic and evolutionary distance. Science 230:1403–1406. .
- 1994. The history and geography of human genes. Chapter 7. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. p 342–371. .
- 1995. Inference of population subdivision from the VNTR distributions of New Zealanders. Genetica 96:37–49. .
- 1996. Network analysis of human Y microsatellite haplotypes. Hum Mol Genet 5:1759–1766. .
- 1988. Express train to Polynesia. Nature 336:307–308. .
- 1962. The lexicostatistical classification of Malaypolynesian languages. Language 38:38–46. .
- 1965. A lexicostatistical classification of the Austranesian language. Supplement to International Journal of American Linguistics 31(1):memoir 19. .
- 1989. Population bottlenecks in Polynesia revealed by minisatellites. Hum Genet 83:257–263. .
- 1998. Phylogenetic resolution of complex mutational features at Y-STR DYS390 in aboriginal Australians and Papuans. Mol Biol Evol 15:1108–1114. .
- 2000. Language trees support the express-train sequence of Austronesian expansion. Nature 405:1052–1055. .
- 1996. New Zealand population data at five VNTR loci: establishment of a database for forensic identity testing. Sci Justice 36:109–117. .
- 1995. Y chromosomal DNA variation and the peopling of Japan. Am J Hum Genet 56:951–962. .
- 1989. An Asian-specific 9-bp deletion of mitochondrial DNA is frequently found in Polynesians. Am J Hum Genet 44:504–510. .
- 1998. European Y-chromosomal lineages in Polynesians: a contrast to the population structure revealed by mtDNA. Am J Hum Genet 63:1793–1806. .
- 1995. Fathers and sons: the Y chromosome and human evolution. Trends Genet 11:449–456. .
- 1999. Ancestral Asians source(s) of new world Y-chromosome founder haplotypes. Am J Hum Genet 64:817–831. .
- 2000. Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomes. Current Biology 10:1237–1246. .
- 1998. mtDNA and language support a common origin of Micronesians and Polynesians in Island Southeast Asia. Am J Phys Anthropol 105:109–119. .
- 1998. Mitochondrial and nuclear genetic relationships among Pacific Island and Asian populations. Am J Hum Genet 63:613–624. .
- 1999. The emerging tree of West Eurasian mtDNAs: a synthesis of control-region sequences and RFLPs. Am J Hum Genet 64:232–249. .
- 1994. Highly informative compound haplotypes for the human Y chromosome. Hum Mol Genet 3:115–123. .
- 1995. Polynesian genetic affinities with Southeast Asian populations identified by mtDNA analysis. Am J Hum Genet 57:403–414. .
- 1999. Mitochondrial DNA variation is an indicator of Austonesian influence in Island Melanesia. Am J Physical Anthropol 110:243–270. .
- 1998. Testing migration patterns and estimating founding population size in Polynesia by using human mtDNA sequences. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 95:9047–9052. .
- 1998. Current protocols in human genetics. Supplement 19. New York: John Wiley and Sons. p 7.10.1–7.10.12. .
- 1998. Eden in the east: the drowned continent of South East Asia. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson. 560 p. .
- 1998. Different genetic components in the Ethiopian population, identified by mtDNA and Y-chromosome polymorphisms. Am J Hum Genet 62:420–434. .
- 1997. Human genetic affinities for Y-chromosome P49a,f/TaqI haplotypes show strong correspondence with linguistics. Am J Hum Genet 61:1015–1035. .
- 1999. Y-chromosome specific YCAII, DYS19 and YAP polymorphisms in human populations: a comparative study. Ann Hum Genet 63:153–166. .
- 1995. Evolutionary history of the COII/tRNALys intergenic 9 base pair deletion in human mitochondrial DNAs from the Pacific. Molec Biol Evol 12:604–615. .
- 1998. mtDNA suggests Polynesian origins in Eastern Pacific. Am J Hum Genet 63:1234–1236. .
- 1992. Simple repeat sequences on the human Y chromosome are equally polymorphic as their autosomal counterparts. Hum Genet 89:389–394. .
- 1996. Geographic clustering of human Y-chromosome haplotypes. Ann Hum Genet 60:401–408. .
- 2000. The genetic legacy of Palaeolithic homo sapiens in extant Europeans: a Y-chromosome perspective. Science 290:1155–1159. .
- 2000. Population genetic implications from sequence variation in four Y chromosome genes. Proc Natl Acad USA 97:7354–7359. .
- 1994. The genetic affinity of Polynesians: evidence from Y chromosome polymorphisms. Ann Hum Genet 58:251–263. .
- 2000a. Polynesian origins: insights from the Y chromosome. Proc Natl Acad USA 97:8225–8228. .
- 2000b. Y chromosome haplotypes reveal prehistorical migrations to the Himalayas. Hum Genet 107:582–590. .
- 2000. Deletion of azoospermia factor a (AZFa) region of human Y chromosome caused by recombination between HERV15 proviruses. Hum Mol Biol 9:2291–2296. .
- 1994. Conclusion: origins. In: SuttonDG, editor. The origins of the first New Zealanders. Auckland: Auckland University Press. p 243–258. .
- 1995. The origins of the Polynesians: an interpretation from mitochondrial lineage analysis. Am J Hum Genet 57:1463–1475. .
- 1988. History as a family tree, history as an entangled bank: constructing images and interpretations of prehistory in the South Pacific. Antiquity 62:642–657. .
- 1997. The dimension of social life in the Pacific. Curr Anthropol 38:155–195. .
- 1997. Detection of numerous Y chromsome biallelic polymorphisms by denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography. Genome Res 7:996–1005. .
- 2000. Y chromosome sequence variation and the history of human populations. Nat Genet 26:358–361. .
- 2001. The phylogeography of Y chromosome binary haplotypes and the origins of modern human populations. Ann Hum Genet 65(pt 1):43–62. .
- 1995. Sequence variation of the human Y chromosome. Nature 378:379–380. .
- 1987. Length mutations in human mitochondrial DNA: direct sequencing of enzymatically amplified DNA. Nucleic Acids Res 15:529–542. .
- 1997. Genetic relationships of Asians and Northern Europeans, revealed by Y-chromosomal DNA analysis. Am J Hum Genet 60:1174–1183. .