Conflict of interest statement: Paul Mackin has received honoraria for speaking at educational meetings from AstraZeneca, Bristol Myers Sqibb, Eli Lilly and Jannsen-Cilag.
Cardiac side effects of psychiatric drugs†
Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental
Supplement: Key Issues in the Safety and Tolerability of Psychiatric Drugs
Volume 23, Issue Supplement 1, pages S3–S14, January 2008
How to Cite
Mackin, P. (2008), Cardiac side effects of psychiatric drugs. Hum. Psychopharmacol. Clin. Exp., 23: S3–S14. doi: 10.1002/hup.915
- Issue online: 20 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Received: 31 OCT 2007
- 2001. Effects of newer atypical antipsychotics on autonomic neurocardiac function: a comparison between amisulpride, olanzapine, sertindole, and clozapine. J Clin Psychopharmacol 21: 8–13. , , , et al.
- 2007. Minimising metabolic and cardiovascular risk in schizophrenia: diabetes, obesity and dyslipidaemia. J Psychopharmacol 21: 357–373. , , , et al.
- 2001. Guidelines on management (diagnosis and treatment) of syncope. Eur Heart J 22: 1256–1306. , , , et al.
- 2000. Causes of the excess mortality of schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 177: 212–217. , , .
- 2005. Myocarditis: the immunologist's view on pathogenesis and treatment. Swiss Med Wkly 135: 359–364. , , .
- 2003. Actions of antipsychotic drugs on ventricular action potential and ion channels. In Cardiovascular Risk Associated With Schizophrenia and its Treatment, 1st edn, CammAJ (ed.). Galliard Healthcare Communications: London; 82–100. , .
- 2001. Reversal of pathologic cardiac parameters after transition from clozapine to olanzapine treatment: a case report. Clin Neuropharmacol 24: 106–108. , , , .
- Consensus development conference. 2004. Consensus development conference on antipsychotic drugs and obesity and diabetes. J Clin Psychiatry 65: 267–272.
- 2001. Antipsychotic drugs and heart muscle disorder in international pharmacovigilance: data mining study. BMJ (Clin Res Ed) 322: 1207–1209. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the QTc interval during olanzapine treatment of patients with schizophrenia and related psychosis. J Clin Psychiatry 62: 191–198. , , , , .
- 1993. QT prolongation and sudden cardiac death in patients with alcoholic liver disease. Lancet 341: 1423–1428. , , , .
- 1999. Prolonged QT interval predicts cardiac and all-cause mortality in the elderly. The Rotterdam Study. Eur Heart J 20: 278–284. , , , , , .
- 1998. Prolongation of QT interval in isolated feline hearts by antipsychotic drugs. J Clin Psychopharmacol 18: 477–481. , , , , .
- 2001. Integrated medical care for patients with serious psychiatric illness: a randomized trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58: 861–868. , , , .
- 2004. Serious cardiovascular events and mortality among patients with schizophrenia. J Nerv Ment Dis 192: 19–27. , , , , .
- FDA. 1999. Risperdal (risperidone). Revision 2.1-3.
- FDA. 2001a. Clozaril (clozapine) tablets prescribing information, pp. 1–22.
- FDA. 2001b. FDA Pharmacological Drugs Advisory Committee Briefing Document for Zyprexa Intramuscular (olanzapine for injection). 1–115.
- FDA. 2001c. Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) tablets. Revision January 2001, pp. 1–25.
- 2005. A review of clozapine safety. Expert Opin Drug Saf 4: 731–744. , , , , .
- 2006. Recent evidence linking coronary heart disease and depression. Can J Psychiatry 51: 730–737. , .
- 2005. A comparison of ten-year cardiac risk estimates in schizophrenia patients from the CATIE study and matched controls. Schizophr Res 80: 45–53. , , , et al.
- 1991. Duration of the QT interval and total and cardiovascular mortality in healthy persons (The Framingham Heart Study Experience). Am J Cardiol 67: 55–58. , , , , , .
- 1999. Medical illness in patients with schizophrenia. J Clin Psychiatry 60 (Suppl. 21): 10–15. .
- 2007. Current concepts in the mechanisms and management of drug-induced QT prolongation and torsade de pointes. Am Heart J 153: 891–899. , , , , .
- 2007. Clozapine-associated myocarditis: a review of 116 cases of suspected myocarditis associated with the use of clozapine in Australia during 1993–2003. Drug Saf 30: 47–57. , , , et al.
- 2001. Life expectancies for individuals with psychiatric diagnoses. Public Health 115: 328–337. , , .
- 2006. Differential metabolic effects of antipsychotic treatments. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16 (Suppl 3): S149–155. .
- 1996. Medical comorbidity in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 22: 413–430. , , , .
- 2000. Electrocardiographic abnormalities in patients treated with clozapine. J Clin Psychiatry 61: 441–446. , , , et al.
- 1999. Myocarditis and cardiomyopathy associated with clozapine. Lancet 354: 1841–1845. , , , .
- 1999. Long-term treatment with antipsychotic drugs in conventional doses prolonged QTc dispersion, but did not increase ventricular tachyarrhythmias in patients with schizophrenia in the absence of cardiac disease. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 55: 259–262. , , , , , .
- 2002. Torsade de pointes associated with very-high-dose methadone. Ann Intern Med 137: 501–504. , , , , , .
- 1990. Haloperidol-induced torsades de pointes. Chest 98: 482–484. , , , , .
- 2001. Myocarditis and cardiomyopathy associated with clozapine use in the United States. N Engl J Med 345: 224–225. , , .
- 1988. Hysteresis of the ventricular paced QT interval in response to abrupt changes in pacing rate. Cardiovasc Res 22: 67–72. , , , , , .
- 1986. The health of the chronically mentally ill: a review of the literature. Commun Ment Health J 22: 104–116. , .
- 2005. QTc interval measurement and metabolic parameters in psychiatric patients taking typical or atypical antipsychotic drugs: a preliminary study. J Clin Psychiatry 66: 1386–1391. , .
- 2005. Prevalence of obesity, glucose homeostasis disorders and metabolic syndrome in psychiatric patients taking typical or atypical antipsychotic drugs: a cross-sectional study. Diabetologia 48: 215–221. , , .
- 2007. Metabolic and cardiovascular risk in antipsychotic-treated community psychiatric patients. Br J Psychiatry 191: 23–29. , , , .
- 1993. Female gender as a risk factor for torsades de pointes associated with cardiovascular drugs. JAMA 270: 2590–2597. , , , , .
- 2003. Electrocardiographic aspects of studies investigating drug-related repolarisation changes. In Cardiovascular Risk Associated With Schizophrenia and its Treatment, 1st edn, CammAJ (ed.). Galliard Healthcare Communication: London; 101–117. .
- 1990. Relationship between utilization of mental health and medical services in a VA hospital. Am J Psychiatry 147: 465–469. , , .
- 2005. Adverse cardiac effects associated with clozapine. J Clin Psychopharmacol 25: 32–41. , , .
- 2006. Myocarditis during clozapine treatment. Am J Psychiatry 163: 204–208. , , , .
- 1996. Alternative visions of the future: projecting mortality and disability 1990–2020. In The Global Burden of Disease, MurrayC, LopezA (eds). Harvard University Press: Cambridge (Massachusetts); 325-397. , .
- 2005. Second-generation (atypical) antipsychotics and metabolic effects: a comprehensive literature review. CNS Drugs 19 (Suppl. 1): 1–93. .
- Novartis. 2002. Association of Clozaril (clozapine) with cardiovascular toxicity (Dear Healthcare Professional letter).
- 2007. Relative risk of cardiovascular and cancer mortality in people with severe mental illness from the United Kingdom's general practice research database. Arch Gen Psychiatry 64: 242–249. , , , , , .
- 1992. Sex differences in the evolution of the electrocardiographic QT interval with age. Can J Cardiol 8: 690–695. , , , et al.
- 2000. QTc-interval abnormalities and psychotropic drug therapy in psychiatric patients. Lancet 355: 1048–1052. , , , , .
- 2002. Thioridazine and sudden unexplained death in psychiatric in-patients. Br J Psychiatry 180: 515–522. , , , , .
- 2002. Myocarditis with quetiapine. Am J Psychiatry 159: 1607–1608. , , , , .
- 1991. QT interval prolongation predicts cardiovascular mortality in an apparently healthy population. Circulation 84: 1516–1523. , , , , , .
- 1997. Quetiapine in patients with schizophrenia. A high- and low-dose double-blind comparison with placebo. Seroquel Study Group. Arch Gen Psychiatry 54: 549–557. , , , , .
- 2000. Tolerability of atypical antipsychotics. Drug Saf 22: 195–214. , .
- 1987. Torsades de pointes associated with drugs and toxins: recognition and management. Am Heart J 113: 1470–1482. , .
- 2003. Antipsychotics and QT prolongation. Acta Psychiatr Scand 107: 85–95. .
- 2002. Clozapine-induced fevers and 1-year clozapine discontinuation rate. J Clin Psychiatry 63: 880–884. , .
- 2003. Antipsychotic drug-induced QT interval prolongation. In Cardiovascular Risk Associated With Schizophrenia and its Treatment, 1st edn, CammAJ (ed.). Galliard Healthcare Communications: London; 118–137. , .
- 1997. Double-blind comparison of olanzapine versus risperidone in the treatment of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. J Clin Psychopharmacol 17: 407–418. , , , et al.
- 1996. Electrocardiographic changes in patients receiving neuroleptic medication. Acta Psychiatr Scand 93: 311–313. , , .
- 2000. Clozapine and sudden death. Lancet 355: 842; (author reply 843). , , , .
- 2003. Drug induced QT prolongation and torsades de pointes. Heart (Br Card Soc) 89: 1363–1372. , .
- 2004. Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study). Case-control study. Lancet 364: 937–952. , , , et al.