Trend analyses with river sediment rating curves
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA. Hydrological Processes published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 29, Issue 6, pages 936–949, 15 March 2015
How to Cite
2015), Trend analyses with river sediment rating curves, Hydrol. Process., 29, 936–949, doi: 10.1002/hyp.10198(
- Issue online: 2 MAR 2015
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2014 01:37PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2013
- US Geological Survey's Coastal and Marine Geology Prog ram
- 1999. Suspended sediment dynamics in a large drainage basin: the River Rhine. Hydrological Processes 13: 1437–1450. .
- 2000. Fitting and interpretation of sediment rating curves. Journal of Hydrology 234: 228–248. .
- 2006. The composite method: an improved method for stream-water solute load estimation. Hydrological Processes 20: 3029–3047. , .
- 1979. Robust locally weighted regression and smoothing scatterplots. Journal of the American Statistical Association 74: 829–836. .
- 1992. The validity of a simple statistical model for estimating fluvial constituent loads: an empirical study involving nutrient loads entering Chesapeake Bay. Water Resources Research 28: 2353–2363. , , , , .
- 2014. Suspended-sediment concentrations during dam decommissioning in the Elwha River, Washington. U.S. Geological Survey Data Set. Available from: http://wa.water.usgs.gov/pubs/misc/elwha/ssc/ (accessed March 2014). , , .
- 2004. Earthquake-triggered increase in sediment delivery from an active mountain belt. Geology 32: 733–736. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Duda JJ, Warrick JA, Magirl CS (eds). 2011. Coastal habitats of the Elwha River – biological and physical patterns and processes prior to dam removal. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2011–5120. 264 pp.
- 2010. Implications of 21st century climate change for the hydrology of Washington State. Climatic Change 102: 225–260. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. River loads underestimated by rating curves. Water Resources Research 22: 74–76. .
- 2011. The HYDE 3.1 spatially explicit database of human-induced global land-use change over the past 12 000 years. Global Ecology and Biogeography 20: 73–86. , , , .
- 2002. Statistical methods in water resources. U.S. Geological Survey, Techniques of Water-Resource Investigations, 04-A3, 523 p. , .
- 2008. The signature of an extreme erosion event on suspended sediment loads: Motueka River Catchment, South Island, New Zealand. Sediment Dynamics in Changing Environment, IAHS Publication 325: 184–191. , .
- 2000. Erosion thresholds and suspended sediment yields: Waipaoa River basin, New Zealand. Water Resources Research 36: 1129–1142. , , .
- 2010. Weighted regressions on time, discharge, and season (WRTDS), with an application to Chesapeake Bay River inputs. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 46: 857–880. , , .
- 1975. The effect of urbanization on floods of different recurrence interval. Water Resources Research 11: 431–435. .
- 2003. An evaluation of sediment rating curves for estimating suspended sediment concentrations for subsequent flux calculations. Hydrological Processes 17: 3387–3409. .
- 2009. A quarter century of declining suspended sediment fluxes in the Mississippi River and the effect of the 1993 flood. Hydrological Processes 24: 13–34. .
- 2011. Temporal and spatial variations of sediment rating curves in the Changjiang (Yangtze River) basin and their implications. Quaternary International 230: 34–43. , , , .
- 2013. Altered regional sediment transport regime after a large typhoon, southern, Taiwan. Geology 41: 1223–1226. , .
- 2008. Water and sediment discharge from small mountainous rivers, Taiwan: the roles of lithology, episodic events, and human activities. The Journal of Geology 116: 431–448. , .
- 2010. Limits on the adaptability of coastal marshes to rising sea level. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L23401. , , , , , .
- 2011. Global land use change, economic globalization, and the looming land scarcity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108: 3465–3472. , .
- 1968. Hydrology for urban land planning: a guidebook on the hydrologic effects of urban land use. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 554, 18 pp. .
- 1994. Suspended sediments of the modern Amazon and Orinoco Rivers. Quaternary International 21: 29–39. .
- 2010. Causes for the decline of suspended-sediment discharge in the Mississippi River system, 1940–2007. Hydrological Processes 24: 35–49. , .
- 1990. Movement and storage of sediment in rivers of the United States and Canada. In Surface Water Hydrology The Geology of North America, Vol. O–1, Wolman MG, Riggs H.C. (eds). Geological Society of America: Boulder, CO; 255–280. , , .
- 2011. River Discharge to the Coastal Ocean – A Global Synthesis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 384. , .
- 2008. Stationarity is dead: whither water management? Science 319: 573–574. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Quantifying the relative importance of flow regulation and grain-size regulation of suspended-sediment transport α and tracking changes in grain size of bed sediment β. Water Resources Research 37: 133–146. , .
- 2002. Shelf record of climatic changes in flood magnitude and frequency, north-coastal California. Geology 30: 395–398. , , .
- 2000. Estimating fluvial sediment transport: the rating parameters. Water Resources Research 36: 2747–2760. , , , .
- 2005. Impact of humans on the flux of terrestrial sediment to the global coastal ocean. Science 308: 376–380. , , , .
- 2000. Anthropogenic disturbance of the terrestrial water cycle. Bioscience 50: 753–765. , .
- 1974. Suspended sediment and solute yields from a catchment prior to urbanization. In Fluvial Processes in Instrumented Watersheds, Spec. Publ. 6, Gregory KJ, Walling DE (eds). Inst. of Brit. Geogr.: London; 169–192. .
- 1977. Assessing the accuracy of suspended sediment rating curves for a small basin. Water Resources Research 13: 531–538. .
- 2003. Recent trends in the suspended sediment loads of the world's rivers. Global and Planetary Change 39: 111–126. , .
- 2008. Reconstruction of sediment flux from the Changjiang (Yangtze River) to the sea since the 1860s. Journal of Hydrology 349: 318–332. , , , , .
- 2014. Eel River margin source-to-sink sediment budgets: revisited. Marine Geology 351: 25–37. .
- 2012. The offshore export of sand during exceptional discharge from California rivers. Geology 40: 787–790. , .
- 2007. Suspended-sediment rating-curve response to urbanization and wildfire, Santa Ana River, California. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface 112: F02018. , .
- 2012. The effects of wildfire on the sediment yield of a coastal California watershed. Geological Society of America Bulletin 124: 1130–1146. , , , , , .
- 2013. Trends in the suspended-sediment yields of coastal rivers of northern California, 1955–2010. Journal of Hydrology 489: 108–123. , , , .
- 1989. Sediment concentration versus water discharge during single events in rivers. Journal of Hydrology 111: 89–106. .
- 2010. An approach for modeling sediment budgets in supply-limited rivers. Water Resources Research 46: W10538. , , , .
- 2007. Sediment rating parameters and their implications: Yangtze River, China. Geomorphology 85: 166–175. , , , .
- 2011. 50,000 dams later: Erosion of the Yangtze River and its delta. Global and Planetary Change 75: 14–20. , , , .