A method for estimating spatially variable seepage and hydraulic conductivity in channels with very mild slopes
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 51–61, 01 January 2014
How to Cite
Shanafield, M., Niswonger, R. G., Prudic, D. E., Pohll, G., Susfalk, R. and Panday, S. (2014), A method for estimating spatially variable seepage and hydraulic conductivity in channels with very mild slopes. Hydrol. Process., 28: 51–61. doi: 10.1002/hyp.9545
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 SEP 2012 12:55AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 NOV 2011
- 1986. Introduction to the European Hydrological System—Systeme Hydrologique Europeen, ‘SHE', 2: Structure of a Physically-based, Distributed Modeling System. Journal of Hydrology 87(1/2): 61-77. , , , , .
- 1967. Roughness characteristics of natural channels. US Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 1849: 213. .
- 1993. Numerical calculation of infiltration in furrow irrigation. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 119(2): 286–294. , .
- 2001. River and reservoir operations model, Truckee River Basin, California and Nevada, 1998. US Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 01-4017. , , .
- 1978. Estimating recharge from ephemeral streams in arid regions: a case study at Kairouan, Tunisia. Water Resources Research 14(2): 281–290. , , .
- 1983. Regional flow in the Dakota Aquifer: A study of the role of confining layers. Geological Survey Water-supply Paper: U.S; 2237. , , .
- 1964. Hydraulic properties of porous media. Hydrology Papers: Colorado State University; 24. , .
- 1997. The ecological significance of exchange processes between streams and groundwater. Freshwater Biology 37: 1-33. , .
- 2010a. HEC-RAS, river analysis system user's manual, version 4.1. US Army Corps of Engineers, Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC), Davis, CA. .
- 2010b. HEC-RAS, river analysis system hydraulic reference manual, version 4.1. US Army Corps of Engineers, Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC), Davis, CA. .
- 2005. Agroecological impacts from salinization and waterlogging in an irrigated river valley. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering. ASCE. 131: 197-209. , .
- 2007. Rapid estimation of recharge potential in ephemeral-stream channels using electromagnetic methods, and measurements of channel and vegetation characteristics. Journal of Hydrology 344(1-2): 17-31. , , , .
- 1988. Developing joint probability distributions of soil water retention characteristics. Water Resources Research 24(5): 755-769. , .
- 2008. Heat as a tracer to determine streambed water exchanges. Water Resources Research 44: W00D10, doi:10.1029/2008WR006996. .
- 2002. Analysis of temperature profiles for investigating stream losses beneath ephemeral channels, Wat. Resour. Res. 38(12): 1316-1329, doi:10.1029/2001WR001221. , , , .
- 1980. Practical aspects of computational river hydraulics. Pitman Advanced Publishing Program: London. , , .
- 1987. Applicability of diffusion analogy in flood routing, Acta Geophysica Polonica. 35(1): 66-75. , .
- 2008. Bank permeability in an Australian ephemeral dry-land stream: variation with stage resulting from mud deposition and sediment clogging. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 33(2): 226-243.
- 2008. Preliminary geologic map of the Fernley West quadrangle, Lyon, Storey, and Washoe counties, Nevada. Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology. Available online: www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/of084.pdf. , , .
- 1988. On the diffusion-wave model for overland flow 1. solution for steep slopes. Water Resources Research 24(5): 734-744. , , .
- 2005. MODFLOW-2005, the US Geological Survey modular ground-water model—the Ground-Water Flow Process. United State Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6: A16. .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal variability of ground water recharge in Central Australia: a tracer approach. Ground Water 40(5): 518-528. , , .
- Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC). 1990. HEC-1: Flood hydrograph package—User's manual, Version 4, US Army Corps of Engineers: Davis, California.Henderson FM. 1963. Flood waves in prismatic channels. ASCE Journal of the Hydraulics Divisions 89(I-IY4): 39-67.
- 1991. CASC2D user's manual—A two dimensional watershed rainfall-runoff model. Colorado State University Civil Eng. Report CER90-91PYJ-BS-12: Fort Collins, CO. , .
- 2006. Measuring methods for groundwater-surface water interactions; a review. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS). 10(6): 873-887. , , .
- 2003. A catchment water balance mode for estimating groundwater recharge in arid and semiarid regions of south-east Iran. Hydrogeology Journal 11(3):333-342. . , .
- 1993. Handbook of hydrology. McGraw-Hill: New York; 1424. .
- 2002. The Truckee Canal seepage analysis in the Fernley/Wadsworth area. Division of Hydrologic Sciences Report #41176, Desert Research Institute: Reno, NV. , , , .
- 1980. Unsteady one-dimensional flow over a plane: partial equilibrium and recession hydrographs. Water Resources Research 16: 355-360. , .
- 2006. Investigation of the hydrodynamics of flash floods in ephemeral channels: scaling analysis and simulation using a shock-capturing flow model incorporating the effects of transmission losses. Journal of Hydrology 324: 65-79. .
- 2005. Documentation of the streamflow- routing (SFR2) package to include unsaturated flow beneath streams—a modification to SFR1. US Geol. Tech. Methods, Book 6, Chap. A13, 47 pp. , .
- 2005. Incorporating seepage losses into the unsteady streamflow equations for simulating intermittent flow along mountain front streams. Water Resources Research 41: W06006, doi:10.1029/2004WR003677. , , , .
- 2008. Method for estimating spatially variable seepage loss and hydraulic conductivity in intermittent and ephemeral streams. Water Resources Research 44: W05418, doi:10.1029/2007WR006626. , , , , .
- 2011. MODFLOW-NWT, A Newton formulation for MODFLOW-2005. US Geol. Tech. Methods, Book 6, Chap. A37. 32 pp. , , .
- 1972. Modeling of groundwater and surface water systems. I—Theoretical relationships between groundwater abstraction and base flow. Water Resources Board, no, 16: Reading, UK, 37 p. , .
- 2004. A fully coupled physically based spatially-distributed model for evaluating surface/subsurface flow. Advances in Water Resources 27: 361-382. , .
- 1957. The theory of infiltration, 1. The infiltration equation and its solution. Soil Science 53: 345-357. .
- 1958. The theory of infiltration, 7. The infiltration equation and its solution. Soil Science 85: 333-337. .
- 2001. Evaluation of groundwater and solute transport in the Fernley–Wadsworth Area. Division of Hydrologic Sciences Report #41173. Desert Research Institute: Reno, NV. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Documentation of a computer program to simulate stream-aquifer relations using a modular, finite-difference, ground-water flow model. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 88-729: 113 p. .
- 2004. A new streamflow-routing (SFR1) package to simulate stream-aquifer interaction with MODFLOW-2000. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1042. p. 95. , , .
- 1998. Field study and simulation of diurnal temperature effects on infiltration and variably saturated flow beneath an ephemeral stream. Water Resources Research 34: 2137–2153. , , , .
- 1987. Tritium as a tracer for the movement of surface water and groundwater in the Glatt valley, Switzerland. Environmental Science and Technology 21: 909–916. , , , .
- 1995. Intake parameters from advance and wetting phases of surface irrigation. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 121(1): 57-70. , , .
- 1988. Geology of the conterminous United States at 1:2,500,000 scale- A digital representation of the 1974 P.B. King and H.M. Beikman map. US Geological Survey Digital Data Series 11, Release 2. , , .
- 2003. Recharge of aquifers by flood events in an arid region. Hydrological Processes 17: 695–712. , .
- 1997. A generalized, non-linear, diffusion wave equation: theoretical development and application. Journal of Hydrology 192: 1-16. , , .
- 1998. Infiltration from irrigation advance data. I: theory. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 114 (1): 4-7. , , .
- 2002. Interactions between groundwater and surface water: the state of the science. Hydrogeology Journal 10: 52–67.
- 1993. Infiltration-recharge through wadi beds in arid regions. Hydrological Sciences Journal 38(3): 173-186. , .
- 1970. Numerical solution of Saint-Venant equations, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 96: 223–252.
- 2004. Use of chloride mass-balance and environmental isotopes for evaluation of groundwater recharge in the alluvial aquifer, Wadi Tharad, Western Saudi Arabia. Journal of Environmental Geology 46: 741–749. .
- 2008. Evaluation of linear anionic polyacrylamide (LAPAM) application to water delivery canals for seepage reduction. Desert Research Institute Publication No. 41245: Reno, NV. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1974. A comparison of physically-based infiltration equations. Soil Science 117: 165–167. , .
- 2006. Hydrology, water chemistry, and revised water budgets for Tracy segment hydrographic area, Storey, Washoe, and Lyon counties, West-central Nevada, 1998–2002. US Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5010. , .
- 1979. Geologic map of Colorado. U.S: Geological Survey.
- 1985. Revised water budget for the Fernley area, west-central Nevada, 1979. United States Geological Survey Open File Report 84-712: 17. , .
- 2001. Hydrologic-response simulations for the R-5 catchment with a comprehensive physics-based model. Water Resources Research 37(4): 999-1013. , .
- 1974. Unsteady flow in open channels. Proceedings of Institute on Unsteady Flow in Open Channels. Colorado State University: Fort Collins, Colorado. .
- 1993. Streambed sediment as a barrier to groundwater pollution: insights from fieldwork and modelling in the river Thames basin. Journal of Institution of Water and Environmental Management 7: 577-585. , , .