Funding for the IBD/FBD Review Group (September 1, 2010 to August 31, 2015) was provided by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Knowledge Translation Branch (CON- 105529) and the CIHR Institutes of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes (INMD); and Infection and Immunity (III) and the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (HLTC3968FL- 2010-2235). Miss Ila Stewart provided support for the IBD/FBD Review Group through the Olive Stewart Fund.
Once daily oral mesalamine compared to conventional dosing for induction and maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis†
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, Inc.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1785–1794, September 2012
How to Cite
Feagan, B. G. and MacDonald, J. K. (2012), Once daily oral mesalamine compared to conventional dosing for induction and maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Inflamm Bowel Dis, 18: 1785–1794. doi: 10.1002/ibd.23024
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2012
- 1Oral 5-aminosalicylic acid for induction of remission in ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database System Rev, 2012 (in press)., .
- 2Oral 5-aminosalicylic acid for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database System Rev, 2012 (in press)., .
- 5Medication persistence in patients with ulcerative colitis: meeting the challenges and improving patient outcomes CME. MedScape CME Gastroenterology. Posted 12/22/2009., .
- 7Prevalence of nonadherence with maintenance mesalamine in quiescent ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 2929–2933., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 8Predictors of medication adherence in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007; 102: 1417–1426., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 9Cortisone in ulcerative colitis: final report on a therapeutic trial. Br Med J. 1955; 4947: 1041–1048., .
- 10Assessing risk of bias in included studies. In: Higgins JPT, Green S, editorss. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.0 (updated February 2008). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org, (eds.).
- 13MMX® mesalamine 2.4g/day maintains clinical remission in patients with mild to moderate ulcerative colitis, irrespective of prior treatment. Gastroenterology. 2010; 138( 5 Suppl 1): S700., , , et al.
- 25Efficacy and tolerability of a once daily treatment with budesonide capsules versus mesalamine granules for the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, multicenter study. Gastroenterology. 2009; 136( 5 Suppl 1): A15., , , et al.
- 36Once daily mesalazine as maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis (UC): a one-year single-blind randomised trial. Gastroenterology. 2011; 140( 5 Suppl 1): S65., , , et al.
- 40Increasing patient adherence to gastroenterology treatment and prevention regimens. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94: 1733–1742., .Direct Link:
- 41Evaluation of prescription refill patterns based on daily dosing regimen and pill load for calcium channel blockers. Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA; 2007., , .
- 425-ASA prescription refill rates for ulcerative colitis are independent of formulation and dosing regimens. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: S447 (abstract 1144)., , .