Clinical Trials and Therapeutics
Complementary and alternative medicine: Evaluating its effectiveness in inflammatory bowel disease
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2006
Copyright © 1998 Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, Inc.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 318–323, November 1998
How to Cite
Hilsden, R. J. and Verhoef, M. J. (1998), Complementary and alternative medicine: Evaluating its effectiveness in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis, 4: 318–323. doi: 10.1002/ibd.3780040411
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 1998
- Manuscript Received: 1 JUN 1998
- 3Panel on Definition and Description, CAM Research Methodology Conference, April 1995. Defining and describing complementary and alternative medicine. Altern Ther Health Med 1995; 3: 49–57.
- 4Office of Alternative Medicine. Classification of alternative medicine practices [web page]. http://altmed.od.nih.gov/oam/what-is-cam/classify.shtml. National Institutes of Health Office of Alternative Medicine [accessed 1998].
- 5Alternative Health Care in Canada. In: BolariaBS, DickinsonHD, Eds. Health, Illness, and Health Care in Canada. Toronto: Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1994: 487–503..
- 8Complementary medicine use by patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93: 697–701., , .Direct Link:
- 11Characteristics of complementary and alternative medicine. In: MicozziS, Ed. Fundamentals of complementary and alternative medicine. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1996: 3–8..
- 12The American Society of Clinical Oncology. The physician and unorthodox cancer therapies. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 401–6.
- 15Introduction to Clinical Trials. In: Fundamentals of Clinical Trials. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1996: 1–15., , .
- 18Is all therapy just a placebo effect? Meta-medicine 1982; 3: 255–59., .
- 21Single case research designs. In: LewithGT, AldridgeD, Eds. Clinical research methodology for complementary therapies. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1993: 136–68..
- 26Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) protects against oxidative stress and indomethacin-induced intestinal inflammation. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: A1081., , , , , .
- 27Beneficial effects of DA-9601, extract of Artemisia asiatica, TNB-induced experimental colitis in the rat. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: A1054., , , , , , , .
- 28Randomized clinical trial of Plantago ovata efficacy as compared to mesalazine in maintaining remission in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 1997; 112: A971., , , et al.
- 29A double-blind controlled trial of enzyme potentiated hyposensitization for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Clinical Ecology 1987; 5: 47–51..
- 30Alternative Medicine Journal 1995; 36–41., , , . A clinical study in treating intractable ulcerative colitis with Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- 31Kui Jie Qing in the treatment of chronic non-specific ulcerative colitis. J Tradit Chin Med 1997; 17: 10–13., , , , .
- 32Treatment of ulcerative colitis with acupuncture. J Tradit Chin Med 1995; 15: 231–33..