Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
A spatially and temporally explicit model for determining the exposure of juvenile salmon to agricultural pesticides in freshwater
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
Copyright © 2011 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 271–284, April 2012
How to Cite
Teply, M., Cramer, S. P. and Poletika, N. N. (2012), A spatially and temporally explicit model for determining the exposure of juvenile salmon to agricultural pesticides in freshwater. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 8: 271–284. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1266
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 NOV 2011 10:56AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAY 2011
- 2009. A fish of many scales: Extrapolating sublethal pesticide exposures to the productivity of wild salmon populations. Ecol Appl 19: 2004–2015. , , , .
- 2005. A classification of habitat types in a large river and their use by juvenile salmonids. Transact Am Fish Soc 134: 717–729. , , , .
- 1991. Habitat requirements of Salmonids in streams. Am Fish Soc (Special Publication) 19: 83–138. , .
- 1994. Tucannon River spring Chinook salmon hatchery evaluation program. 1993 Annual Report. Washington DC: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife AFF 1/LSR-94-09, submitted to US. Fish and Wildlife Service, Boise, Idaho. , , , , .
- 2009. Linking stream carrying capacity for salmonids to habitat features. In: Knudsen EE, Michael JH Jr, editors. Pacific salmon environmental and life history models: Advancing science for sustainable salmon in the future. Bethesda (MD): American Fisheries Society. Symposium 71. p 223–254. , .
- 2007. Outmigration of juvenile Chinook salmon in the Lower Willamette River, Oregon. Northwest Sci 81: 173–190. , , .
- 1999. Chlorpyrifos: ecological risk assessment in North American aquatic environments. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 160: 1–129. , , , , , .
- 1993. A hierarchical approach to classifying stream habitat features. Fisheries 18: 3–12. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Life history of Chinook salmon (Onchorhynchus tshawytsca). In: Groot C, Margolois L, editors. Pacific salmon life histories. Vancouver (BC): UBC Press. p. 313–393. .
- 2004. Development of a 2001 National Landcover Database for the United States. Photogrammetr Eng Remote Sens 70: 829–840. , , , , .
- 2000. A procedure for performing population-level ecological risk assessments. Environ Manag 25: 281–289. , .
- 1987. Longitudinal changes in fish assemblages and water quality in the Willamette River, Oregon. Transact Am Fish Soc 116: 196–209. , .
- 2010. Trends in pesticide concentrations in streams of the western United States, 1993–2005. JAWRA 1–22. , , .
- 2002. Off channel habitats. In: Hulse D, Gregory S, Baker J, editors. Willamette River Basin Atlas: Trajectories of environmental and ecological change. Corvallis (OR): Oregon State Univ Press. 192 p. [cited 2011 November 29]. Available from: http://www.fsl.orst.edu/pnwerc/wrb/Atlas_web_compressed/PDFtoc.html , , .
- 2002. Risk based management of contaminated sediments: consideration of spatial and temporal patterns in exposure modeling. Environ Sci Technol 36: 238–246. , , , .
- 1993. Tucannon River spring Chinook salmon hatchery evaluation program. 1992 Annual Report. Washington DC: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife AFF 1/LSR-93-06, submitted to US Fish and Wildlife Service, Boise, Idaho. , , , , , , , , .
- [NMFS] National Marine Fisheries Service. 2008. National Marine Fisheries Service Endangered Species Act Section 7 Consultation, Bological Opinion, Environmental Protection Agency Registration of Pesticides Containing Cchlorpyrifos, Diazinon, and Malathion. [cited 2009 21 December]. Available from: www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/pesticide_biop.pdf
- [NMFS] National Marine Fisheries Service. 2009. National Marine Fisheries Service Endangered Species Act Section 7 Consultation, Biological Opinion, Environmental Protection Agency Registration of Pesticides Containing Carbaryl, Carbofuran, and Methomyl. [cited 2009 December 21]. Available from: www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/carbamate.pdf
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2005a. Habitat areas for the Upper Willamette River Chinook salmon ESU. GIS database downloaded June 2009. [cited 2009 June 1]. Available from: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Habitat/Critical-Habitat/CH-GIS-Data.cfm
- [NOAA] National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2005b. Endangered and threatened species; designation of critical habitat for 12 evolutionarily significant units of West Coast Salmon and Steelhead in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho; Final Rule. Federal Register 70(170): 52630–52678.
- [ODEQ] Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. 2006. Oregon's 2004/2006 integrated water quality assessment report. GIS database and report. [cited 2009 June 1]. Available from: http://www.deq.state.or.us/wq/assessment/rpt0406.htm
- [ODFW] Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. 2004. Aquatic habitat inventories project. Habitat and reach data. GIS database. [cited 2009 June 1]. Available from: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ODFW/freshwater/inventory/index.htm
- [PNWERC] Pacific Northwest Ecosystem Research Consortium. 2002. Stream data sets developed for the Willamette Basin alternative futures project. GIS database. [cited 2009 June 1]. Available from: http://www.fsl.orst.edu/pnwerc/wrb/access.html
- 2002. An ecological risk assessment for Chlorpyrifos in an agriculturally dominated tributary of the San Joaquin River. Risk Anal 22: 291–308. , , .
- 2005. The behavior and ecology of Pacific salmon and trout. Seattle (WA): Univ Washington Press. .
- 2002. The Pacific salmon wars: What science brings to the challenge of recovering species. Annu Rev Ecol Systemat 33: 665–706. , , , .
- 1997. Methods and tools for estimation of the exposure of terrestrial wildlife to contaminants. Oak Ridge (TN): Oak Ridge National Laboratory. ORNL/TM-13391. October. , , , , .
- 2005. Spring Chinook salmon in the Willamette and Sandy Rivers, October 2004 through September 2005. Corvalis (OR): Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. F-163-R-10. , , .
- 2007. Spring Chinook salmon in the Willamette and Sandy Rivers, October 2005 through September 2007. Corvalis (OR): Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. F-163-R-11/12. , , .
- 2001. Floodplain rearing of juvenile Chinook salmon: Evidence of enhanced growth and survival. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 58: 325–333. , , , , .
- StreamNet. 2003. Columbia Subbasin Planning EDT reach files and reach attributes. GIS data set. [cited 2009 June 1]. Available from: http://www.streamnet.org/subbasin_planning.html
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Guidelines for ecological risk assessment. Office of Research and Development. Washington DC: USEPA. 20460. EPA/630/R-95/002F. April.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2004. Support document for EPA's action reviewing new or revised water quality standards for the State of Oregon. March 2004.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. Pesticide Registration Status, Risk Assessment Documents. [cited 2010 November 24]. Available from: www.epa.gov/pesticides/reregistration/status.htm
- [USGS] US Geological Survey. 2010. USGS National Water Quality Assessment Data Warehouse. [cited 2010 November 28]. Available from: infotrek.er.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=NAWQA:HOME:0
- 1980. The river continuum concept. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 37: 130–137. , , , , .
- 2002. The use of spatial modeling in an aquatic food web to estimate exposure and risk. Sci Total Environ 288: 97–110. , , , , .
- 2005. Spatially-explicity wildlife exposure modeling tools for use in human health and ecological risk assessment: SEEM and FISHRAND-migration. In: Transactions of the Wessex Institute, Vol 85, Environmental Exposure and Health. 10 p. , , .
- 2000. Associations among fish assemblage structure and environmental variables in Willamette Basin streams, Oregon. Transact Am Fish Soc 129: 754–770. , .
- 2011. Spatially explicit ecological exposure models: A rationale for and path toward their increased acceptance and use. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7: 158–168. , , , .