Review—Global Environmental Issue
Refocusing on nature: Holistic assessment of ecosystem services
Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 401–411, July 2012
How to Cite
Menzie, C. A., Deardorff, T., Booth, P. and Wickwire, T. (2012), Refocusing on nature: Holistic assessment of ecosystem services. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 8: 401–411. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1279
- Issue online: 14 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 JUN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 JAN 2012 03:49PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2011
- 2010. The State and Regional Role in Developing Ecosystem Service Markets. 20th Duke Environmental Law and Policy Forum. Durham (NC): Duke University. , .
- American Rivers. 2002. The ecology of dam removal: A summary of benefits and impacts. Washington (DC): American Rivers. 15 p.
- 2009. Fire ecology in rocky mountain landscapes. Washington (DC): Island Press. 605 p. .
- 2002. Aswan Dam revisited. D+C Development and Cooperation. In: WEnt-Internationale Weiterbildung und Entwicklung gGmbH, Capacity Building International, Germany No. 6, November/December, p 25–27. .
- 1996. Effects of wildfire on grizzly bear movements and food habits. In: The ecological implications of fire in Greater Yellowstone: Proceedings, 2nd Biennial Conference on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem; 1993 September 19–21; Yellowstone National Park, WY. Greenlee JM, editor. Fairfield (WA): International Association of Wildland Fire. p 117–122. , , .
- [BSR] Business for Social Responsibility. 2011. New business decision-making aids in an era of complexity, scrutiny, and uncertainty: Tools for identifying, assessing, and valuing ecosystem services. [cited 2012 February 22]. Available from: http://www.bsr.org
- 2010. Between environmental policy and scientific knowledge: How might dryland environments challenge ideas regarding ecological dynamics? Ciencia Ergo Sum 17: 81–87. .
- California State Coastal Conservancy. 2010. San Clemente Dam Removal Project - Project Description. [cited 29 March 2012]. Available from: http://www.scc.ca.gov/webmaster/ftp/pdf/sanclemente/san_clemente_large.pdf
- [CAR] Climate Action Reserve. 2010. Forest Project Protocol – For Board Approval, Version 3.2, August 2010. [cited 2011 December]. Available from: http://www.climateactionreserve.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Forest_Project_Protocol_V3.2_For_Board_Approval1.pdf
- 1986. Proceedings - grizzly bear habitat symposium. General Technical Report INT-207. Ogden (UT): United States Department of Agriculture, United States Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. 252 p. , .
- 2000. The Wisconsin storm water manual: Wet detention basins. Report 3691–3694. .
- 2010. Disturbance and change in biodiversity. Phil Trans R Soc B 365: 3719–3727. .
- Encyclopedia Britannica. 2011. Aswan High Dam. In: Encyclopedia Britannica online. [cited 2012 February 22]. Available from: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/40203/Aswan-High-Dam
- [FEMA] Federal Emergency Management Agency. 2010. Benefits of dams. [Accessed 2010 October 29]. Available from: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/damfailure/benefits.shtm
- 2009. Myth busting about wildlife and fire: Are animals getting burned? Fire Manage Today 69: 26–28. , .
- 1995. Chapter 1. Confronting risk tradeoffs. In: Risk Versus Risk: Tradeoffs in Protecting Health and the Environment. JD, Graham JB, Wiener (eds). Boston (MA): Harvard University Press. p 1–41. , .
- Greenlee J, (ed). 1996. Proceedings of the Second Biennial Conference on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, The Ecological Implications of Fire in Greater Yellowstone 1993 19–21 September; Yellowstone National Park, WY. Fairfield, Washington (DC): International Association of Wildland Fire. 235 p.
- 1968. The tragedy of the commons. Science 162: 1243–1248. .
- 1980. Giant sequoia ecology: Fire and reproduction. Scientific Monograph No. 12. Washington (DC): USDI National Park Service. , , .
- Holmes TP, Prestemon JP, Abt KL, (eds). 2008. The economics of forest disturbances: Wildfires, storms, and invasive species. Springer Science. 415 p.
- 2008. The ecological importance of severe wildfires: Some like it hot. Ecol Appl 18: 1827–1834. .
- [ICOLD] International Commission of Large Dams. 1999. Benefits and concerns about damns. Paris: ICOLD.
- 2007. Plant disturbance ecology: The process and the response. Burlington (MA): Elsevier. 720 p. , .
- 1981. Fire in ecosystem distribution and structure: Western forests and scrublands. In: Mooney HA, Bonnicksen TM, Christensen NL, Lotan JE, Reiners RA, editors. Fire regimes and ecosystem properties: Proceedings of the conference. 1978 December 11–15; Honolulu, HI. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-26. Washington (DC): US Department Agriculture, Forest Service. p 58–89. .
- 1996. The ecological implications of fire in Greater Yellowstone: A Summary. In: Proceedings of the Second Biennial Conference on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, The Ecological Implications of Fire in Greater Yellowstone. September 19–21, 1993, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Greenlee J, (Ed). Fairfield, Washington (DC): International Association of Wildland Fire. p 233–235. .
- 1997. Hungry water: Effects of dams and gravel mining on river channels. Environ Manage 21: 533–551. .
- 2007. An assessment of market-based approaches to providing ecosystem services on agricultural lands. Ecol Econ 64: 321–332. , .
- 2005. Introduction to the regional risk assessment using the relative risk model. In: Landis WG, editor. Regional scale ecological risk assessment using the relative risk model. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press. p 11–36. , .
- 2004. A regional assessment of the potential stressors causing the decline of the Cherry Point Pacific herring run and alternative management endpoints for the Cherry Point Reserve (Washington, USA). Hum Ecol Risk Assess 10: 271–297. , , , , .
- 1989. Sand County Almanac. New York (NY): Oxford University Press. 256 p. .
- 2001. Silenced rivers: The ecology and politics of large dams. London (UK): Zed Books. 359 p. .
- 1996. An overview of fire in the Sierra Nevada. Sierra Nevada Ecosystem Project: Final report to Congress. Vol. II. Assessments and scientific basis for management options. University of California Davis, Centers for Water and Wildland Resources. Chapter 37, 1996. [cited 2012 February 22]. Available from: http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/skinner/psw_1996_skinner(mckelvey)001.pdf , , .
- [MDNR] Michigan Department of Natural Resources. 1995. Huron River assessment. Fisheries Special Report No. 16. Lansing (MI): Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries Division. April 1995.
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Millennium ecosystem assessment: Ecosystems and human well-being: The Assessment Series (Four Volumes and Summary). Washington (DC): Island Press.
- [NCDEM] North Carolina Department of Environmental Management. 1994. An overview of wet detention pond design. Raleigh (NC): NC Department of Environmental Management.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2005. Valuing Ecosystem Services Toward Better Environmental Decision–Making. Washington (DC): The National Academies Press. Committee on Assessing and Valuing the Services of Aquatic and Related Terrestrial Ecosystems, Water Science and Technology Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council Of The National Academies. Available from: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=030909318X
- 1953. Fundamentals of ecology. Philadelphia (PA): W.B. Saunders Co. 384 p. .
- 2002. Advances in ecological understanding: By Kuhnian revolution or conceptual evolution? Ecology 83: 1553–1559. .
- 1992. The new paradigm in ecology: Implications for project description. In: Fielder PL, Jain SK, editors. Conservation Biology: The Theory and Practice of Nature Conservation. New York (NY): Chapman and Hall. p 65–88. , , .
- 2010. Chapter 1. The evolution of ecosystem ecology. In: Ecosystem Ecology, A New Synthesis. Raffaelli DG, Frid CLJ, (eds). Cambridge (MA): Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1997. Muddle or muddle through? Takings jurisprudence meets the Endangered Species Act. The College of William and Mary Law Review 38: 825–993. .
- 2010. Sediment contamination in stormwater detention ponds. Stormwater July-August 2010. [cited 2012 February]. Available from: http://www.stormh2o.com/SW/Articles/Sediment_Contamination_in_Stormwater_Detention_Pon_11069.aspx?cpsys_redirect=404 , , .
- 1981. Foundations of parasitology. 2nd ed. St. Louis (MO): C.V. Mosby. 795 p. , .
- 2008. Aesthetic implications of the new paradigm in ecology. J Aesthetic Educ 42: 63–79. .
- 1995. The social siege of nature. In: Soulé ME, Lease GL, eds. Reinventing nature? Responses to postmodern deconstruction. Washington, DC: Island Press. p 137, 159. .
- 2006. Conserving old-growth forest diversity in disturbance-prone landscapes. Conserv Biol 20: 351–362. , , , .
- 1990. Giant sequoia fire history in Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park. Yosemite Centennial Symposium Proceeding—Natural Areas and Yosemite: Prospects for the Future. October 13-20, 1990, Yosemite National Park, Concord, and San Francisco, CA. [cited February 2012]. Available from: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/yose/centennial_symposium.pdf , , , , .
- 2003. Disturbance dynamics and ecological response: the contribution of long-term ecological research. BioScience 53: 46–56. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of fire size and pattern on early succession in Yellowstone National Park. Ecol Monogr 67: 411–433. , , , .
- [USACE] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. 2009. Final programmatic environmental impact statement for oyster restoration in Chesapeake Bay including the use of a native and/or nonnative oyster. Norfolk (VA): USACE.
- [WMI] Watershed Management Institute. 1997. Operation, maintenance, and management of stormwater management systems. Prepared for US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, DC. Ingleside (MD): Watershed Management Institute.
- 1974. Effects of fire on temperate forests: Western United States. In: Kozlowski TT, Ahlgren CE, eds. Fire and ecosystems. New York (NY): Academic Press. p 279–319. .
- [WCD]. World Commission on Dams. 2000. Dams and development: A new framework for decision-making. The Report of the World Commission on Dams. [cited 2012 February]. Available from: http://www.unep.org/dams/WCD/report/WCD_DAMS%20report.pdf
- 1982. Fire ecology, United States and southern Canada. New York (NY): John Wiley and Sons. 501 p. , .
- 2002. A spatially explicit hierarchical approach to modeling complex ecological systems: theory and applications. Ecol Model 153: 7–26. , .
- 1995. From balance of nature to hierarchical patch dynamics: A paradigm shift in ecology. Quarterly Rev Biol 70: 439–466. , .