Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
Revision of sediment quality triad indicators in Puget Sound (Washington, USA): I. a Sediment Chemistry Index and targets for mixtures of toxicants
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 31–49, January 2013
How to Cite
Long, E. R., Dutch, M., Partridge, V., Weakland, S. and Welch, K. (2013), Revision of sediment quality triad indicators in Puget Sound (Washington, USA): I. a Sediment Chemistry Index and targets for mixtures of toxicants. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 31–49. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1309
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 APR 2012 10:59AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 SEP 2011
- 1999. Comparative analysis of sediment extracts from NOAA's bioeffects studies by the biomarker, P450 RGS. Mar Environ Res 48:407–425. , , , ,
- 1999. Correlation between the response of a human cell line (P450 RGS) and the distribution of sediment PAHs and PCBs on the Palos Verdes Shelf, California. Environ Toxicol Chem 18:1506–1510. , ,
- [ASTM] American Society for Testing Materials. 1993. Standard guide for conducting solid phase, 10-day static sediment toxicity tests with marine and estuarine infaunal amphipods. In: Annual book of ASTM standards. Vol 11.05. Philadelphia (PA): American Society for Testing Materials. p 1138–1163.
- 2005. Scientific underpinnings of sediment quality guidelines. In: Wenning RJ, Ingersoll CG, Batley GR, Moore DW, editors. Use of sediment quality guidelines (SQGs) and related tools for the assessment of contaminated sediments. Pensacola (FL): SETAC Press. p 39–119. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. A framework for interpreting sediment quality triad data. Costa Mesa (CA): Southern California Coastal Water Research Project. Annual Report 2008. ,
- 2010. Framework for interpreting sediment quality triad data. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:589–596. ,
- 2001. Relationship between depth, sediment, latitude, and the structure of benthic infaunal assemblages on the mainland shelf of southern California. Mar Biol 138:637–647. , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Comparison of methods for conducting marine and estuarine sediment porewater toxicity tests—Extraction, storage, and handling techniques. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 28:69–77. ,
- 2003. Porewater toxicity testing: Biological, chemical, and ecological considerations. Carr RS, Nipper M, editors. Pensacola (FL): Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 315 p. ,
- 2011. Indices: Attractive delusions. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:313.
- 1984. Survey of biological effects of toxicants upon Puget Sound biota. IV. Interrelationships of infauna, sediment bioassay and sediment chemistry data. Rockville (MD): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Report NOS OMA 9. , , ,
- 1987. Synoptic measures of sediment contamination, toxicity and infaunal community composition (the Sediment Quality Triad) in San Francisco Bay. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 37:75–96. , ,
- 1982. Survey of biological effects of toxicants upon Puget Sound biota. I. Broad-scale toxicity survey. Boulder (CO): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum OMPA-25. , , , , , ,
- 1989. Measuring the toxicity of estuarine sediments. Environ Toxicol Chem 8:1035–1048. , ,
- 1995. Marine benthic hypoxia—Review of ecological effects and behavioral responses on macrofauna. Oceanog Mar Biol Annu Rev 33:245–303. ,
- 2009. Quality Assurance Project Plan: The Puget Sound Assessment and Monitoring Program Sediment Monitoring Component. Olympia (WA): Washington State Department of Ecology. Publication 09-03-121. , , , ,
- 2010. The tissue residue approach for chemical mixtures. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:99–115. , , , ,
- [Ecology] Washington State Department of Ecology. 1995. Sediment management standards. Chapter 173-204 WAC. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 96-252.
- 2001. An evaluation of methods for calculating mean sediment quality guideline quotients as indicators of contamination and acute toxicity to amphipods by chemical mixtures. Environ Toxicol Chem 20:2236–2286. , , , , , , ,
- 2002. A field validation of two sediment-amphipod toxicity tests. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1523–1437. ,
- 2002. Predicting amphipod toxicity from sediment chemistry using logistic regression models. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1993–2005. , , , , , ,
- 2011. The problem with indices. Mar Pollut Bull 62:1377–1380. ,
- 1986. Confidence intervals based on interpolated order statistics. Stat Probab Lett 4:75–79. ,
- 2007. Killer whales (Orcinus orca) face protracted health risks associated with lifetime exposure to PCBs. Environ Sci Technol 41:6613–6619. , , ,
- 1998. Environmental quality of estuaries of the Carolinian Province-1995. Silver Spring (MD): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum NOS ORCA 123. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Incidence of stress in benthic communities along the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico coasts within different ranges of sediment contamination from chemical mixtures. Environ Monit Assess 81:149–161. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Ability of SQGs to estimate effects of sediment-associated contaminants in laboratory toxicity tests or in benthic community assessments. In: Wenning RJ, Ingersoll CG, Batley GR, Moore DW, editors. Use of sediment quality guidelines (SQGs) and related tools for the assessment of contaminated sediments. Pensacola (FL): SETAC Press. p 497–556. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Rapid toxicity assessment of sediments from estuarine ecosystems: A new tandem in vitro testing approach. Environ Toxicol Chem 17:1099–1106. ,
- 2008. Xenoestrogen exposure and effects in English sole (Parophrys vetulus) from Puget Sound, WA. Aquat Toxicol 88:29–38. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. An assessment of two decades of contaminant monitoring in the Nation's Coastal Zone. Silver Spring (MD): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum NOS-NCCOS 74. , , ,
- 2002. Evaluating the ecological significance of laboratory response data to predict population-level effects for the estuarine amphipod Ampeliscs abdita. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:865–874. , , , , , , ,
- 2000a. Degraded sediment quality in U.S. estuaries: A review of magnitude and ecological implications. Ecol Appl 10:338–349.
- 2000b. Spatial extent of sediment toxicity in U.S. estuaries and marine bays. Environ Monit Assess 64:391–407.
- 2008. Sediment quality assessment of the bays and inlets of the San Juan Islands, eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Admiralty Inlet, 2002-2003: Spatial/temporal sediment monitoring element of the Puget Sound Assessment and Monitoring Program. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 08-03-030. , , , ,
- 1985. A sediment quality triad: Measures of sediment contamination, toxicity and infaunal community composition in Puget Sound. Mar Pollut Bull 16:405–415. ,
- 2003. Chemical contamination, acute toxicity in laboratory tests, and benthic impacts in sediments of Puget Sound: A summary of results of the joint 1997-1999 Ecology/NOAA survey. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 03-03-049. Silver Spring (MD): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS CCMA 163. , , , ,
- 2005. Spatial extent of degraded sediment quality in Puget Sound (Washington State, USA) based on measures of the Sediment Quality Triad. Environ Monit Assess 111:173–222. , , , ,
- 1998. Predicting toxicity in marine sediments with numerical sediment quality guidelines. Environ Toxicol Chem 17:714–727. , ,
- 2002. Chemical contamination, toxicity, and benthic community indices in sediments of the lower Miami River and adjoining portions of Biscayne Bay. Estuaries 25:622–637. , , ,
- 2001. Relationships between acute sediment toxicity in laboratory tests and abundance and diversity of benthic infauna in marine sediments: A review. Environ Toxicol Chem 20:46–60. , ,
- 2006. Calculation and uses of mean sediment quality guideline quotients: A critical review. Environ Sci Technol 40:1726–1736. , ,
- 2000. Classifying the probabilities of acute toxicity in marine sediments with empirically derived sediment quality guidelines. Environ Toxicol Chem 19:2598–2601. , , ,
- 1995. Incidence of adverse biological effects within ranges of chemical concentrations in marine and estuarine sediments. Environ Manage 19:81–97. , , ,
- 1996. Estimates of the spatial extent of sediment toxicity in major U.S. estuaries. Environ Sci Technol 30:3585–3592. , , , ,
- 2005. Development and use of assessment techniques for coastal sediments. In: Bortone SA, editor. Estuarine indicators. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press. p 63–78. ,
- 2010. Sediment quality assessment of the Hood Canal Region of Puget Sound, 2004: Spatial/temporal sediment monitoring element of the Puget Sound Assessment and Monitoring Program. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 10-03-005. , , , ,
- 1984. Chemical pollutants in sediments and diseases of bottom-dwelling fish in Puget Sound, Washington. Environ Sci Technol 18:705–713. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Predictive abilities of numerical sediment quality guidelines in Sydney Harbour, Australia, and vicinity. Environ Int 32:638–649. , , , ,
- 2004. A field test and comparison of acute and chronic sediment toxicity tests with the estuarine amphipod Leptocheirus plumulosus in Chesapeake Bay, USA. Environ Toxicol Chem 23:1751–1761. , , , , , , , ,
- 1980. Toxicities of eight organochlorine compounds in sediment and seawater to Crangon septemspinosa. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 25:921–928. ,
- 1982. Toxicities of five organochlorine compounds in water and sediment to Nereis virens. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 28:216–220. , ,
- 2008. Improved flatfish health following remediation of a PAH contaminated site in Eagle Harbor, Washington. Aquat Toxicol 88:277–288. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Interdecadal change in the deep Puget Sound benthos. Hydrobiologia 493:95–114.
- 1984. EDTA chelation and zinc antagonism with cadmium in sediment: Effects on the behavior and mortality of two infaunal amphipods. Mar Biol 84:125–130. , ,
- 2008. Environmental indicators for the Puget Sound Partnership: A regional effort to select provisional indicators (Phase 1). Summary Report. Seattle (WA): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. , ,
- 2009. Marine distribution, life history traits, and the accumulation of polychlorinated biphenyls in Chinook salmon from Puget Sound, Washington. Trans Am Fish Soc 138:616–632. ,
- 1997. Synergistic toxicity of atrazine and organophosphate insecticides contravenes the response addition mixture model. Environ Toxicol Chem 16:2415–2420. ,
- 2010. Urban Waters Initiative, 2008. Sediment quality in Commencement Bay. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 10-03-019. 171 p. , , , ,
- 2012. Sediment quality assessment of the Southern Strait of Georgia, 2006: Spatial/temporal sediment monitoring element of the Puget Sound Ecosystem Monitoring Program. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 12-03-001. 128 p. , , , ,
- 2009. Urban Waters Initiative, 2007. Sediment quality in Elliott Bay. Olympia (WA): Washington State Dept. of Ecology. Publication 09-03-014. 166 p. , , , , ,
- 1978. Macrobenthic succession in relation to organic enrichment and pollution of the marine environment. Oceanog Mar Biol Annu Rev 16:229–311. ,
- 1966. The measurement of diversity in different types of biological collections. J Theor Biol 13:131–144.
- 1974. Population and community ecology: Principles and methods. New York (NY): Gordon and Breach. 424 p.
- 1988. Toxicity of marine sediments supplemented with mixtures of selected chlorinated and aromatic hydrocarbons to the infaunal amphipod Rhepoxynius abronius. Mar Environ Res 25:855–977. , , , ,
- Puget Sound Action Team. 2007. Puget sound update: Ninth Report of the Puget Sound Assessment and Monitoring Program. Seattle (WA): Puget Sound Action Team. 260 p.
- [PSP] Puget Sound Partnership. 2008. Puget Sound Action Agenda: Protecting and restoring the Puget Sound ecosystem by 2020. Olympia (WA): Puget Sound Partnership. [cited 10 May 2012]. Available from: http://www.psp.wa.gov/downloads/ACTION_AGENDA_2008/Action_Agenda.pdf
- [PSP] Puget Sound Partnership. 2011. Draft Action Agenda Update. Olympia (WA), USA: Puget Sound Partnership. [cited 10 May 2012]. Available from: http://www.psp.wa.gov/action_agenda_2011_draft-content.php
- Puget Sound Water Quality Authority. 1988. Puget Sound Ambient Monitoring Program Monitoring Management Committee Final Report. Seattle (WA): Puget Sound Water Quality Authority. 145 p.
- 2011. Development and evaluation of sediment quality guidelines based on benthic macrofauna responses. Integr Environ Assess Manag Available from: DOI: 10. 1002/ieam.191 , , , ,
- 2000. High PCB concentrations in free-ranging Pacific killer whales, Orcinus orca: Effects of age, sex and dietary preference. Mar Pollut Bull 40:504–515. , , , ,
- 2004. Harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) in British Columbia, Canada, and Washington State, USA reveal a combination of local and global polychlorinated biphenyl, dioxin, and furan signals. Environ Toxicol Chem 23:157–165. , , , , ,
- 2006. Fireproof killer whales (Orcinus orca): Flame retardant chemicals and the conservation imperative in the charismatic icon of British Columbia, Canada. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 63:224–234.
- 2000. Correspondence between whole effluent toxicity and the presence of priority substances in complex industrial effluents. Environ Toxicol Chem 19:63–71. , , ,
- 1984. Single and combined effects of lead and cadmium on Pontoporeia affiniis (Crustacea, Amphipoda) in laboratory soft-bottom microcosms. In: Persoone G, Jaspers E, Claus C, editors. Ecotoxicological testing for the marine environment. Bredene, Belgium: State University Ghent and Institute Marine Scientific Research. p 237–258.
- 1982. Sediment toxicity and the distribution of amphipods in Commencement Bay, Washington (USA). Mar Pollut Bull 13:359–364. , , ,
- 1985. Sediment toxicity, contamination, and macrobenthic communities near a large sewage outfall. In: Boyle TP, editor. Validation and predictability of laboratory methods for assessing the fate and effects of contaminants in aquatic ecosystems. Philadelphia (PA): American Society for Testing Materials. Special Technical Publication 865. p 152–175. , , , ,
- 1986. Ecological changes in the Southern California Bight near a large sewage outfall: Benthic conditions in 1980 and 1983. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 31:1–13. , , ,
- 1988. Effects of mixtures of sediment contaminants on the marine infaunal amphipod, Rhepoxynius abronius. Environ Toxicol Chem 7:1013–1020. , , ,
- 2004. Assessment of macrobenthos response to sediment contamination in the San Francisco estuary, California, USA. Environ Toxicol Chem 23:2178–2187. ,
- 2009. Estimated sediment contaminant concentrations associated with biological impacts at San Diego Bay clean-up sites. Oakland (CA): Aquatic Science Center. SWRCB Agreement 08-194-190, Contribution 584. 50 p. , ,
- 1997. Revised approach to toxicity test acceptability criteria using a statistical performance assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 16:1322–1329. , ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1992. Sediment Classification Methods Compendium. Washington (DC): USEPA. EPA 823-R-92-006. 28 p.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2006. National Estuary Program Coastal Condition Report. Washington (DC): USEPA. EPA-842/B-06/001.
- van Gestel CAM, Jonker MJ, Kammenga JE, Laskowski R, Svendsen C, editors. 2011. Mixture toxicity: Linking approaches from ecological and human toxicology. Pensacola (FL): SETAC Press. 320 p.
- 1984. Diversity, biotic and similarity indices. A review with special relevance to aquatic ecosystems. Water Res 18:653–694.
- 2008. Spatial extent, magnitude, and patterns of persistent organochlorine pollutants in Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi) populations in the Puget Sound (USA) and Strait of Georgia (Canada). Sci Total Environ 394:369–378. , ,
- 2005. Predictive ability of sediment quality guidelines. In: Wenning RJ, Ingersoll CG, Batley GR, Moore DW, editors. Use of sediment quality guidelines (SQGs) and related tools for the assessment of contaminated sediments. Pensacola (FL): SETAC Press. p 121–161. , , , , , , , , , , et al.