Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
Assessing population-level effects of zinc exposure to brown trout (Salmo trutta) in the Arkansas River at Leadville, Colorado
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 50–62, January 2013
How to Cite
Toll, J., Garber, K., DeForest, D. and Brattin, W. (2013), Assessing population-level effects of zinc exposure to brown trout (Salmo trutta) in the Arkansas River at Leadville, Colorado. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 50–62. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1325
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 MAY 2012 11:22AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2012
- 2001. Field performance of wild and domestic brown trout strains in two Wisconsin rivers. Madison (WI), USA: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Research Report 186. 20 p. , ,
- 2002. La biologie de la truite commune (Salmo trutta L.) dans la rivière Scorff, Bretagne: Une synthèse des études de 1972 à 1997. INRA Productions Animales 15:319–331. ,
- 1998. Energetics and survival of virgin and repeat spawning brown trout (Salmo trutta). Can J Fish Aquat Sci 55:47–53. , ,
- 2002. Population models—Life history. In: Pastorok RA, Bartell SM, Ferson S, Ginzburg LR, editors. Ecological modeling in risk assessment: Chemical effects on populations, ecosystems and landscapes. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis Publishers. p 55–64.
- 2001. Matrix population models: Construction, analysis, and interpretation 2nd ed. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates.
- 1998a. Population dynamics modelling in an hierarchical arborescent river network: An attempt with Salmo trutta. Acta Biotheoretica 46:223–234. , , , ,
- 1998b. A density dependent model describing Salmo trutta population dynamics in an arborescent river network. Effects of dams and channelling. C R Acad Sci Ser III 321:979–990. , , , ,
- 2000. Annual spawning migrations in modelling brown trout population dynamics inside an arborescent river network. Ecol Model 133:15–31. , , , ,
- 1993. Population densities of juvenile trout (Salmo trutta) in five upland streams and their effects upon growth, survival and dispersal. J Appl Ecol 30:759–771.
- 1995. The trout (Salmo trutta) population of the Afon Cwm, a small tributary of the Afon Dyfi, mid-Wales. J Fish Biol 46:703–716. ,
- 2005. Downstream displacement of post-emergent brown trout: Effects of development stage and water velocity. J Fish Biol 67:599–614. , ,
- 2005. Ecological risk assessment issues identified during the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's examination of risk assessment processes. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:73–76. , , , , , ,
- 1984. Numerical changes and population regulation in young migratory trout Salmo trutta in a Lake District stream, 1966-83. J Anim Ecol 53:327–350.
- 1987. Population regulation in contrasting populations of trout Salmo trutta in two Lake District streams. J Anim Ecol 56:83–98.
- 1993. The pattern of natural mortality throughout the life cycle in contrasting populations of brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Fish Res 17:123–136.
- 1994. Quantitative ecology and the brown trout. New York (NY): Oxford University Press.
- 1988. Reproductive biology of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in the Aller River (Asturias; northern Spain). Polish Arch Hydrobiol 35:361–373. ,
- 2001. Factors regulating brown trout populations in two French rivers: Application of a dynamic population model. Regul Rivers 17:557–560. , , , , ,
- 2004. Role of habitat variability in trout population dynamics: application of a dynamic population model to three French rivers. Hydroécologie Applique 14:221–244. , ,
- 2005. Quantitative exposure-response model for mortality in brown trout fry exposed to zinc. Report prepared Dale Hoff, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8, Denver CO, Dan Wall, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Denver, CO and Steve Brinkman, Colorado Department of Fish and Wildlife, Fort Collins, CO with technical assistance from Syracuse Research Corporation, Denver CO. SDMS Document ID 1052393. Available upon request from the USEPA Region 8 Records Center, Denver, CO: http://www.epa.gov/region8/superfund/sfcontacts.html , ,
- 2003. Interspecific competition between stream-dwelling brown trout and alpine bullhead. J Fish Biol 62:1312–1325. , ,
- 1999. Effects of population density on individual growth of brown trout in streams. Ecology 80:941–956. , , ,
- 2000. Latitudinal variation in growth of young brown trout Salmo trutta. J Anim Ecol 69:1010–1020. , ,
- 1973. The population dynamics of young trout (Salmo trutta) in relation to density and territorial behaviour. In: Rapports et Proces-verbaux des Reunions, Conseil International pout l'Exploration de la Mer 164:241–246.
- 1925. Elements of physical biology. Baltimore (MD). Williams & Wilkins Co: Republished (unabridged) in 1956 as Elements of mathematical biology. New York, (NY): Dover Publications
- 2003. First-year survival of brown trout in three Norwegian streams. J Fish Biol 62:323–340. , ,
- 1990. The biology of brown trout, Salmo trutta L., in the river Scorff, Brittany: A synthesis of studies from 1973 to 1984. Aquacult Fish Manage 21:95–106. ,
- 1996. Assessing population responses to multiple anthropogenic effects: A case study with brook trout. Ecol Appl 6:152–167. ,
- MathWorks. 2005. MATLAB 7.1. August 2, 2005. Natick (MA): MathWorks.
- 1965. Some effects of environment on egg production in brown trout (Salmo trutta). Limnol Oceanogr 10:88–95. , ,
- 1990. Uncertainty: A guide to dealing with uncertainty in quantitative risk and policy analysis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ,
- 1977. Population, survival growth and production of trout Salmo trutta in a small Danish stream. Oikos 28:9–15.
- 1999. Impaired adrenocortical response to stress by brown trout, Salmo trutta, living in metal-contaminated waters of the Eagle River, Colorado. Gen Comp Endocrinol 113:1–8. , , , , , ,
- 2001a. Estimates of survival of stream-dwelling brown trout using mark-recaptures. J Fish Biol 59:1622–1637. ,
- 2001b. Within-stream variation in early life-history traits in brown trout. J Fish Biol 59:1579–1588. ,
- 2005. Small-scale spatial variation in age and size at maturity of stream-dwelling brown trout, Salmo trutta. Ecol Freshw Fish 14:202–208. ,
- Palisade Corporation. 2004. BestFit 4.5. October 4, 2004. Ithaca (NY): Palisade Corp.
- 2002. Factors influencing brown trout reproductive success in Ozark tailwater rivers. Trans Am Fish Soc 131:698–717. ,
- 2005. Relating results of chronic toxicity responses to population-level effects: Modeling effects on wild chinook salmon populations. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:9–21. ,
- 1976. Sexual maturity and fecundity in brown trout of the Platte River, Michigan. Trans Am Fish Soc 105:529–533.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2011. Region 8 Superfund Sites: California Gulch. [cited 2011 July 11]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/region8/superfund/co/calgulch/
- 2002. Growth-rate variation in brown trout in small neighbouring streams: Evidence for density-dependence? J Fish Biol 61:1513–1527. , ,