Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
Risks of carbamate and organophosphate pesticide mixtures to salmon in the Pacific Northwest
Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 70–78, January 2013
How to Cite
Moore, D. R. and Teed, R. S. (2013), Risks of carbamate and organophosphate pesticide mixtures to salmon in the Pacific Northwest. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 70–78. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1329
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 26 JUN 2012 11:36AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2011
- 2007. Surface water monitoring program for pesticides in salmonid-bearing streams, 2006 data summary. Olympia (WA): Washington State Departments of Agriculture and Ecology. Ecology Publication Number 07–03–016. [cited 2010 January 5]. Available from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0703016.html , ,
- 2004. Surface water monitoring program for pesticides in salmonid-bearing streams, April to December, 2003. Olympia (WA): Washington State Department of Ecology. Ecology Publication Number 04–03–048. [cited 2010 January 5]. Available from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0403048.html , , , ,
- 2008. Surface water monitoring program for pesticides in salmonid-bearing streams, 2007 data summary. Olympia (WA): Washington State Departments of Agriculture and Ecology. Ecology Publication Number 08–03–009. [cited 2009 November 1]. Available from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0803009.html ,
- 2009. A fish of many scales: Extrapolating sublethal pesticide exposures to the productivity of wild salmon populations. Ecol Appl 19:2004–2015. , , ,
- 2000. Physiological measures of neurotoxicity of diazinon and malathion to larval rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and their correlation with behavioral measures. Environ Toxicol Chem 19:1875–1880. , , ,
- 2001. Cholinergic and behavioral neurotoxicity of carbaryl and cadmium to larval rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 49:84–90. , , , ,
- 2007. How well can we predict the toxicity of pesticide mixtures to aquatic life. Integr Environ Assess Manag 3:364–372. , ,
- 1996. Time course of inhibition of cholinesterase and aliesterase activities, and nonprotein sulfhydryl levels following exposure to organophosphorus insecticides in mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis). Fund Appl Toxicol 29:202–207. ,
- 2009. Toxicity of a dissolved pyrethroids mixture to Hyalella azteca at environmentally relevant concentrations. Environ Toxicol Chem 28:1493–1499. , , ,
- 2005. Surface water monitoring program for pesticides in salmonid-bearing streams, April through October, 2004. Olympia (WA): Washington State Departments of Agriculture and Ecology. Ecology Publication Number 05–03–025. [cited 2010 January 5]. Available from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0503025.html , , ,
- 2006. Surface water monitoring program for pesticides in salmonid-bearing streams, 2003–2005. Olympia (WA): Washington State Departments of Agriculture and Ecology. Ecology Publication Number 06–03–036. [cited 2010 January 5]. Available from: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0603036.html , , ,
- 2000. Toxicity of mixtures of pesticides in aquatic systems. Pest Manag Sci 56:516–520.
- 2000. Predictive assessment of the aquatic toxicity of multiple chemical mixtures. J Environ Qual 29:1063–1068. , , , , ,
- 2004. Time course of brain cholinesterase inhibition and recovery following acute and subacute azinphosmethyl, parathion, and carbaryl exposure in the goldfish (Carassius auratus). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 57:420–425. , ,
- 2001. Acetylcholinesterase inhibition in estuarine fish and invertebrates as an indicator of organophosphorus insecticide exposure and effects. Environ Toxicol Chem 20:37–45. ,
- 2003. Assessment of the probabilistic ecological risk assessment-toxic equivalent combination approach for evaluating pesticide mixture toxicity to zooplankton in outdoor microcosms. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 45:453–461. , , ,
- 2006. The quality of our nation's waters—Pesticides in the nation's streams and ground water, 1992–2001. US Geological Survey Circular 1291. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Longitudinal changes in fish assemblages and water quality in the Willamette River, Oregon. Trans Am Fish Soc 116:196–209. ,
- 2005. Combined effects of pesticides. Danish Environmental Protection Agency. No. 98 2005. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Behavioral impairment and increased predation mortality in cutthroat trout exposed to carbaryl. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 329:1–11. , , , ,
- 2009. The synergistic toxicity of pesticide mixture: Implications for risk assessment and the conservation of endangered Pacific salmon. Environ Health Perspect 117:348–353. , , , , ,
- 2011. Detections of eleven organophosphorus insecticides and one herbicide threatening Pacific salmonids, Oncorhynchus spp., in California, 1991–2010. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 87:355–360. , , ,
- 1996. Sublethal effects of the pesticide diazinon on olfactory function in mature male Atlantic salmon parr. J Fish Biol 48:758–775. ,
- [NMFS] National Marine Fisheries Service. 2010. Endangered Species Act Section 7 consultation. Draft biological opinion. Environmental Protection Agency registration of pesticides containing azinphos methyl, bensulide, dimethoate, disulfoton, ethoprop, fenamiphos, naled, methamidophos, methidathion, methyl parathion, phorate, and phosmet. Endangered Species Division, Office of Protected Resources.
- [NOAA] National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration. 2009. Toxicity of twelve organophosphate pesticides to juvenile coho salmon. NOAA Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA.
- 2000. In vivo acetylcholinesterase inhibition, metabolism, and toxicokinetics of aldicarb in channel catfish: Role of biotransformation in acute toxicity. Toxicol Sci 53:308–315. ,
- 1974. Sublethal effect of malathion to three salmonid species. Bull Environ Toxicol Chem 12:312–319. ,
- 2009. A cocktail of contaminants: How mixtures of pesticides at low concentrations affect aquatic communities. Oecologia 159:363–376.
- 2005. Comparative thresholds for acetylcholinesterase inhibition and behavioral impairment in coho salmon exposed to chlorpyrifos. Environ Toxicol Chem 24:136–145. , , ,
- 2002. Pacific steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) exposed to chlorpyrifos: Benchmark concentration estimates for acetylcholinesterase inhibition. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:2452–2458. ,
- 2000. Diazinon disrupts antipredator and homing behaviours in chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Can J Fish Aquat Sci 57:1911–1918. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Dose-additive inhibition of Chinook salmon acetylcholinesterase activity by mixtures of organophosphate and carbamate insecticides. Environ Toxicol Chem 25:1200–1207. , , , ,
- 2011. Estimating the future decline of wild coho salmon populations resulting from early spawner die-offs in urbanizing watersheds of the Pacific Northwest, USA. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:648–656. ,
- 2005. Behavioral and sex ratio modification of Japanese Medaka (Oryzias latipes) in response to environmentally relevant mixtures of three pesticides. Environ Toxicol 20:110–117. , ,
- 2012. A spatially and temporally explicit model for determining the exposure of juvenile salmon to agricultural pesticides in freshwater. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:271–284. , , Forthcoming.
- [USEPA] United States Environmental Protection Agency. 2006. Organophosphorus cumulative risk assessment—2006 update. Office of Pesticide Programs, Washington DC: USEPA. EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0618.
- [USEPA] United States Environmental Protection Agency. 2007. Revised n-methyl carbamate cumulative risk assessment. Office of Pesticide Programs, Washington DC: USEPA. EPA-HQ-OPP-2007-0935.
- [USGS] United States Geological Survey. 2010. USGS National Water Quality Assessment Data Warehouse. [cited 2010 July]. Available from: http://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/traverse/f?p=NAWQA:HOME:0
- [USGS] United Stated Geological Survey. 2009. National Water Systems Information System: Web interface. Parameter code definitions. [cited 2009 October]. Available from: http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/pmcodes
- 1997. Comparison of azinphosmethyl toxicity to juvenile red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) and the mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus). Environ Toxicol Chem 16:1488–1493. , , ,
- 2000. Associations among fish assemblage structure and environmental variables in Willamette Basin streams, Oregon. Trans Am Fish Soc 129:754–770. ,
- [WSDE] Washington State Department of Ecology. 2009. Environmental Information Management System. [cited 2009 October]. Available from: http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/eimreporting/Search.asp?Type=StudyName