Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
A probabilistic method for species sensitivity distributions taking into account the inherent uncertainty and variability of effects to estimate environmental risk
Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 79–86, January 2013
How to Cite
Gottschalk, F. and Nowack, B. (2013), A probabilistic method for species sensitivity distributions taking into account the inherent uncertainty and variability of effects to estimate environmental risk. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 79–86. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1334
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 28 JUN 2012 01:06PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2012
- 2002. Normal Species sensitivity distributions and probabilistic ecological risk assessment. In: Posthuma SaT, editor. Species Sensitivity Distributions in Ecotoxicology. CRC Press. , ,
- 2000. Uncertainty of the hazardous concentration and fraction affected for normal species sensitivity distributions. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 46:1–18. ,
- 2010. Recommendations for the development and application of wildlife toxicity reference values. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:28–37. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Screening analysis of human pharmaceutical compounds in US surface waters. Environ Sci Technol 38:838–849. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Consideration of exposure and species sensitivity of Triclosan in the freshwater environment. Integr Environ Assess Manag 4:15–23. , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Species sensitivity distribution and its application in ecotoxicology. Asian J Ecotoxicol 5:491–497. , , ,
- 2009. Integrated stochastic environmental risk assessment of the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS) in Hong Kong. Environ Sci Technol 43:3705–3711. , , ,
- [ECHA] European Chemicals Agency. 2008. Guidance on information requirements and chemical safety assessment. Guidance for the implementation of REACH. European Chemicals Agency. Helsinki, Finland. Accessible from http://guidance.echa.europa.eu/
- [EC] European Commission. 2006. Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 concerning the registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals (REACH), establishing a European Chemicals Agency, Brussels, Belgium. [OJ L396/1, 30.12.2006].
- [EC] European Commission. 2011. Common implementation strategy for the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC). Guidance document No. 27: Technical guidance for deriving environmental quality standards. Available from: DOI: 10.2779/43816.
- 1941. On the distribution of a variate whose logarithm is normally distributed. J R Stat Soc 7:155–161.
- 2002. Species sensitivity distributions revisited: A critical appraisal. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 8:473–492. ,
- 2010. A Bayesian approach for determining the no effect concentration and hazardous concentration in ecotoxicology. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 73:123–131.
- 2002. Better bootstrap estimation of hazardous concentration thresholds for aquatic assemblages. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1515–1524. , , ,
- 2011. A Bayesian approach to probabilistic ecological risk assessment: risk comparison of nine toxic substances in Tokyo surface waters. Environ Sci Pollut Res 18:365–375. ,
- 2009. Will there ever be a role for risk assessments? Hum Ecol Risk Assess 15:1–6.
- 2006. Making sense of ecotoxicological test results: Towards application of process-based models. Ecotoxicology 15:305–314. , ,
- 1997. Bootstrap estimation of community NOEC values. Ecotoxicology 6:293–306. ,
- 2008. Limitations of the current practices used to perform ecological risk assessment. Integr Environ Assess Manag 4:290–298.
- 2010. Revisiting the rationale for holistic, integrated risk assessments. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:774–776. , ,
- 2007. Risk assessment of chemicals: An introduction. 2nd ed. Netherlands Springer, Dordrecht ,
- 2010. Probabilistic risk evaluation for triclosan in surface water, sediments, and aquatic biota tissues. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:419–440. , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Species sensitivity distributions in ecological risk assessment: Distributional assumptions, alternate bootstrap techniques, and estimation of adequate number of species. In: Posthuma SaT, editor: Species Sensitivity Distributions in Ecotoxicology. CRC Press. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Applying species-sensitivity distributions in ecological risk assessment: Assumptions of distribution type and sufficient numbers of species. Environ Toxicol Chem 19:508–515. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Aquatic toxicity of triclosan. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1338–1349. , , , , ,
- 1998. Arithmetic versus geometric: Means for environmental concentration data. Environ Sci Technol 32:92A–98A.
- 1997. Fallacies in ecological risk assessment practices. Environ Sci Technol 31:A370–A375. ,
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2006. Uncertainty analysis of single-concentration exposure data for risk assessment-introducing the species effect distribution approach. Environ Toxicol Chem 25:3078–3081. ,
- 1992. RIVM guidance document. Ecotoxicological effect assessment: Deriving maximum tolerable concentrations (MTC) from single-species toxicity data. Bilthoven, Netherlands: National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).
- 2000. Probabilistic risk assessment of agrochemicals in the environment. Crop Prot 19:649–655. , ,
- 2010. The University of California-Davis methodology for deriving aquatic life pesticide water quality criteria. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 209:1–155. , , , , ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Understanding and accounting for method variability in whole effluent toxicity applications under the national pollutant discharge elimination system program. Washington, DC USEPA.
- 2001. Estimating the 5-percentile of the species sensitivity distributions without any assumptions about the distribution. Ecotoxicology 10:25–34.
- 2004. Current issues in statistics and models for ecotoxicological risk assessment. Acta Biotheor 52:201–217.
- 2002. European history of species sensitivity distributions. In: Posthuma SaT, editor: Sensitivity Distributions in Ecotoxicology. CRC Press. ,
- 2003. Limitations of current risk characterization methods in probabilistic environmental risk assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 22:2209–2213. , , ,
- 2001. Determining environmental standards using bootstrapping, bayesian and maximum likelihood techniques: A comparative study. Anal Chim Acta 446:429–438. , , ,
- 1999. Understanding single-species and model ecosystem sensitivity: Data-based comparison. Environ Toxicol Chem 18:1329–1346. , ,
- 2008. Development of species sensitivity distributions and estimation of HC5 of organochlorine pesticides with 5 statistical approaches. Ecotoxicology 17:716–724. , , ,
- 2002. Species sensitivity distributions: Data and model choice. Mar Pollut Bull 45:192–202. , , , ,
- 2005. Probabilistic ecological risk assessment of 1,2,4-trichlorobenzene at a former industrial contaminated site. Environ Sci Technol 39:2920–2926. , ,