An evaluation of bioaccumulation data for hexachlorobenzene to derive water quality standards according to the EU-WFD methodology
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 87–97, January 2013
How to Cite
Moermond, C. T. and Verbruggen, E. M. (2013), An evaluation of bioaccumulation data for hexachlorobenzene to derive water quality standards according to the EU-WFD methodology. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 87–97. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1351
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 JUL 2012 03:12PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAR 2012
- 2006. A review of bioconcentration factor (BCF) and bioaccumulation factor (BAF) assessments for organic chemicals in aquatic organisms. Environ Rev 14: 257–297. , .
- 2001. Biomagnification of organochlorines along a Barents Sea food chain. Environ Pollut 113: 187–198. , , .
- 2012. Trophic magnification factors: Considerations of ecology, ecosystems, and study design. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8: 64–84. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Bioaccumulation factors for chlorinated benzenes, chlorinated butadienes and hexachloroethane. Environ Toxicol Chem 16: 1677–1686. , , , .
- 2011. Comparing laboratory and field measured bioaccumulation endpoints. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8: 17–31. , , , , , , , , , ., et al.
- 1987. Toxicity of chlorinated benzenes to fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 16: 129–135. , .
- 2004. The roles of food and water in the bioaccumulation of organochlorine compounds in high mountain lake fish. Environ Sci Technol 38: 4269–4275. , , , .
- 1997. Bioconcentration of bromo- and chlorobenzenes by fish (Gambusia affinis). Water Res 31: 61–68. , , .
- 1991. Dietary uptake and biomagnification of four chlorinated hydrocarbons by guppies. Environ Toxicol Chem 10: 1205–1217. , .
- [EC] European Commission. 2003. Technical Guidance Document in support of Commission Directive 93/67/EEC on Risk Assessment for new notified substances, Commission Regulation (EC) No 1488/94 on Risk Assessment for existing substances and Directive 98/9/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the placing of biocidal products on the market. Part II. Ispra, Italy: European Chemicals Bureau, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection. EUR 20418 EN/2.
- [EC] European Commission. 2005. Substance data sheet hexachlorobenzene. Final version, 15 January 2005. Brussels, Belgium.
- [EC] European Commission. 2008. Directive 2008/105/EC of the European Parliament, of the Council of 16 December 2008 on environmental quality standards in the field of water policy,amending,subsequently repealing Council Directives 82/176/EEC,83/513/EEC,84/156/EEC,84/491/EEC,86/280/EEC,amending Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament,of the Council. [cited 2012 March 8]. Available from: http://eur-lex.,europa.,eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.,do?uri=CELEX:32008L0105:EN:NOT
- [EC] European Commission. 2011. Technical guidance for deriving environmental quality standards. Common Implementation Strategy for the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC), Guidance Document No. 27. Brussels, Belgium: European Communities.
- [ECHA] European Chemicals Agency. 2008. Guidance on information requirements and chemical safety assessment. Chapter R.7c: Endpoint specific guidance. Helsinki, Finland: European Chemicals Agency.
- 2001. Tubifex tubifex as a link in food chain transfer of hexachlorobenzene from contaminated sediment to fish. Hydrobiologia 463: 171–184. , , , , , .
- Exxon Mobil. 2005. Exxon Mobil database version 1.0. Data supplied by T.F. Parkerton, Annandale (NJ): Exxon Mobil Biomedical Sciences.
- 2010. Polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in European eel (Anguilla anguilla) from the Gargliano River (Campania region, Italy). Chemosphere 78: 709–716. , , , , , .
- 1998. Dietary accumulation and depuration of hydrophobic organochlorines: Bioaccumulation parameters and their relationship with the octanol/water partition coefficient. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 951–961. , , , .
- 2001. Influence of chemical and biological factors on trophic transfer of persistent organic pollutants in the northwater Polynya marine food web. Environ Sci Technol 35: 732–738. , , .
- 2009. Revisiting bioaccumulation criteria for POPs and PBT assessments. Integr Environ Assess Manag 5: 624–637. , , , , .
- 2011. Influence of season, location, and feeding strategy on bioaccumulation of halogenated organic contaminants in arctic marine zooplankton. Environ Toxicol Chem 30: 77–87. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Seasonality in contaminant accumulation in arctic marine pelagic food webs using trophic magnification factor as a measure of bioaccumulation. Environ Toxicol Chem 30: 1026–1035. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Trophic transfer of persistent organochlorine contaminants (OCs) within an Arctic marine food web from the southern Beaufort-Chukchi Seas. Environ Pollut 124: 509–522. , , , , , .
- 2002. Food web magnification of persistent organic pollutants in poikilotherms and homeotherms from the Barents Sea. Environ Sci Technol 36: 2589–2597. , , , , , .
- 2008. Influence of lake characteristics on the biomagnification of persistent organic pollutants in lake trout food webs. Environ Toxicol Chem 27: 2169–2178. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A systematic approach for evaluating the quality of experimental toxicological and ecotoxicological data. Reg Toxicol Pharmacol 25: 1–5. , , .
- 1980. Toxicokinetics in fish: Accumulation and elimination of six chlorobenzenes by guppies. Chemosphere 9: 3–19. , .
- 1996. Organochlorine dynamics in the pelagic food web of Lake Baikal. Environ Toxicol Chem 15: 1388–1400. , , , , .
- 2005. Manual on the methodological framework to derive environmental quality standards for priority substances in accordance with Article 16 of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC). Schmallenberg, Germany: Fraunhofer Institute of Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology. .
- 2002. Bioconcentration of trace organochlorine pesticides by the rainbow trout. J Environ Sci Health Part A Toxic-Hazard Subst Environ Eng 37: 529–539. , .
- 2011. Environmental risk limits for hexachlorobenzene and hexachlorobutadiene in water. RIVM letter report 601714015/2011. Bilthoven, the Netherlands: RIVM. , .
- 1989. Survival, reproduction and bioconcentration in invertebrates and fish exposed to hexachlorobenzene. Environ Toxicol Chem 8: 601–611. , , , , .
- 1988. Trophodynamic analysis of polychlorinated biphenyl congeners and other chlorinated hydrocarbons in the Lake Ontario ecosystem. Environ Sci Technol 22: 388–397. , .
- 1995. Biomagnification of organochlorines in Lake Erie white bass. Environ Toxicol Chem 14: 719–724. , , .
- 1999. Organochlorine contaminants in a local marine food chain from Jarfjord, Northern Norway. Mar Environ Res 48: 131–146. , , , .
- 1990. Hexachlorobenzene uptake by fathead minnows and macroinvertebrates in recirculating sediment/water systems. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 19: 1–9. , , , , .
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Methodology for deriving ambient water quality criteria for the protection of human health. EPA-822-B-00-004. Washington DC: Office of Science and Technology, USEPA.
- 2006. Trophic relationships in the Rhine food web during invasion and after establishment of the Ponto-Caspian invader Dikerogammarus villosus. Hydrobiologia 565: 39–58. , , , , , .
- 2007. Guidance for the derivation of environmental risk limits within the framework ‘International and national environmental quality standards for substances in the Netherlands’ (INS). Bilthoven, the Netherlands: RIVM 601782001/2007. , .
- 1979. An evaluation of using partition coefficients and water solubility to estimate bioconcentration factors for organic chemicals in fish. J Fish Res 36: 1040–1048. , , , .
- 2008. Determination of the dietary absorption efficiency of hexachlorobenzene with the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 71: 419–425. , , , .