A demonstration of the necessity and feasibility of using a clumsy decision analytic approach on wicked environmental problems
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 17–30, January 2013
How to Cite
Stahl, C. and Cimorelli, A. (2013), A demonstration of the necessity and feasibility of using a clumsy decision analytic approach on wicked environmental problems. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 17–30. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1356
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 AUG 2012 09:20AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 FEB 2012
- 2008. Future research challenges for incorporation of uncertainty in environmental and ecological decision-making. Ecol Model 219:383–399. , , ,
- 1999. Sustainability indicators: Measuring the immeasurable. London: Earthscan. Publications. ,
- 2006. Review of the governing equations, computational algorithms, and other components of the models-3 community multiscale air quality (CMAQ) modeling system. Appl Mech Rev 59:51–77. ,
- 2000. Implementation of the SAPRC-99 chemical mechanism into the Models-3 framework. Report to the United States Environmental Protection Agency [cited 23 October 2012]. Available from: http://www.cert.ucr.edu/∼carter/absts.htm#s99mod3
- 2005. Tackling the dilemma of the science-policy interface in environmental policy analysis. Bull Sci Technol Soc 25:46–52. ,
- Clean Air Act. 1990. Section 181, 42 U.S.C. 7511.
- 2003. Integrated risk analysis for acute and chronic exposure to toxic chemicals. J Hazard Mat A103:25–40. ,
- 1996. Democracy and disagreement: Why moral conflict cannot be avoided in politics, and what should be done about it. Cambridge: (MA): Harvard University Press. 422 pp. ,
- 2001. Twelve late lessons. In: Late lessons from early warning: the precautionary principle 1896–2000 Copenhagen Denmark: European Environment Agency. p 168–194. , , , , , ,
- 2010. Revisiting the rationale for holistic, integrated risk assessments. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:774–776. , ,
- 2008. Codependencies of reactive air toxics and criteria pollutants on emission reductions. J Air Waste Manage Assoc 58:693–701. ,
- 1993. The Science Court: Reminiscence and retrospective. Risk Health Saf Environ 4:161.
- 2012. PBT assessment using the revised Annex XIII of REACH—A comparison with other regulatory frameworks. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:359–371. , , , , , ,
- National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences. 2009. Toward a unified approach to dose-response assessment: The need for an improved dose-response framework. In: Science and decisions: Advancing risk assessment. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. p 127–187.
- Natural Step Canada. 2009. Integrated community sustainability planning: A guide: The natural step. Available from: www.naturalstep.org
- 1973. Dilemmas in a general theory of planning. Policy Sci 4:155–169. ,
- 1990. Multicriteria decision making: The analytic hierarchy process. Pittsburgh (PA): RWS Publications. 287 pp.
- 2002. The role of values and objectives in communicating indicators of sustainability. Ecol Indic 2:149–160. , ,
- 2002. How do scientific assessments learn? Part 1. Conceptual framework and case study of the IPCC. Environ Sci Policy 5:411–420.
- 2006. Democracy and sustainable development—What is the alternative to cost-benefit analysis? Integr Environ Assess Manag 2:182–190.
- 2005. How much uncertainty is too much and how do we know? A case example of the assessment of ozone monitoring network options. Risk Anal 25:1109–1120. ,
- 2002. A New approach to environmental decision analysis: Multi-criteria integrated resource assessment (MIRA). Bull Sci Technol Soc 22:443–459. , ,
- 2011. Toward sustainability: A case study demonstrating trans-disciplinary learning through the selection and use of indicators in a decision making process. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:483–498. , , ,
- 1987. Breaking the impasse: Consensual approaches to resolving public disputes. New York: Basic Books. 288 pp. ,
- [USEPA]. US Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. National-scale air toxics assessment. [last updated on 1 July 2010]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/nata1999/nsata99.html
- [USEPA]. US Environmental Protection Agency. 2001. Improved science-based environmental stakeholder processes: A commentary by the EPA Science Advisory Board. Washington, DC: USEPA. EPA-SAB-EC-COM-01–006.
- [USEPA]. US Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. National emission standards for hazardous air pollutants for source categories: General provisions; and requirements for control technology determinations for major sources in accordance with Clean Air Act sections, sections 112(g) and 112(j). 40 CFR Part 63. Fed Reg 67:16582–16611.
- [USEPA]. US Environmental Protection Agency. 2006. National ambient air quality standards for particulate matter; final rule. Fed Reg 71:61144.
- [USEPA]. US Environmental Protection Agency. 2008. National ambient air quality standards for ozone; final rule. Fed Reg 73:16436–16514.
- [USEPA], US Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. Multi-criteria integrated resource assessment MIRA [cited 23 October 2012]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/reg3esd1/data/mira.htm
- [USEPA], US Environmental Protection Agency. 2011. Washington, DC: Integrated Risk Information Systems IRIS [cited 23 October 2012]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/IRIS/
- 2006. The case for clumsiness. In: Clumsy solutions for a complex world: Governance, politics plural perceptions. In: Vermeij M, et al. editors. New York: (NY): Palgrave MacMillan. p 1–27. , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Improving tractability of group decision making on environmental problems through the use of social intensities of preferences. Environ Model Softw 24:1457–1466. , , ,