Environmental Policy & Regulation
Efforts to standardize wildlife toxicity values remain unrealized
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 114–123, January 2013
How to Cite
Mayfield, D. B. and Fairbrother, A. (2013), Efforts to standardize wildlife toxicity values remain unrealized. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 114–123. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1357
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 AUG 2012 09:42AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 2012
- 2010. Recommendations for the development and application of wildlife toxicity reference values. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:28–37. , , , , , , , ,
- 1976. Long-term toxicologic assessment of nickel in rats and dogs. J Food Sci Tech 13:181–187. , , ,
- 2005. Survey of methodologies for developing media screening values for ecological risk assessment. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:320–332. ,
- 2008. Toxicity reference values for mink exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) equivalents (TEQs). Ecotox Environ Saf 69:325–349. , , , , , ,
- 1983. Effects of dietary Cd on mallard (anas platyrhynchos) ducklings. Environ Res 32:286–297. , , ,
- 1996. A warning: NOECs are inappropriate for regulatory use. Environ Toxicol Chem 15:77–79. , ,
- 1998. A critical evaluation of safety (uncertainty) factors for ecological risk assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 17:99–108. , ,
- 2000. What level of effect is a no observed effect? Environ Toxicol Chem 19:516–519. ,
- 2005. The future direction of ecological risk assessment in the United States: Reflecting on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's “Examination of Risk Assessment Practices and Principles.” Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:77–82. , ,
- 2000. Uncertainty factors in screening ecological risk assessments. Environ Toxicol Chem 19:1668–1680. ,
- [ECB], European Chemicals Bureau. 2003. Technical guidance document on risk assessment. Part II Chapter 3 Environmental Risk Assessment. EUR 20418 EN/2.
- 1950. Chronic oral toxicities of mercuric phenyl and mercuric salts. Arch Ind Hyg Occup Med 2:433–442. , , ,
- 2011. Multiple lines of evidence risk assessment of terrestrial passerines exposed to PCDFs and PCDDs in the Tittabawassee River floodplain, Midland, Michigan, USA. Human Ecol Risk Assess 17:159–186. , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Wildlife ecological screening levels for inhalation of volatile organic chemicals. Environ Toxicol Chem 26:1299–1303. , , , ,
- 1995. Dietary exposure of mink to carp from Saginaw Bay, Michigan. 1. Effects on reproduction and survival, and the potential risks to wild mink populations. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 28:334–343. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Effects of dietary exposure to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in adult female mink. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 15:348–353. , ,
- 2001. Chronic toxicity of dietary 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin to mink. Vet Hum Toxicol 43:134–139. , , ,
- 1993. Benzo(a)pyrene enhances atherosclerosis in white carneau and show racer pigeons. Arterioscler Thromb 13:1721–1727. , , , , ,
- 2008. Limitations of the current practices used to perform ecological risk assessment. Integr Environ Assess Manag 4:290–298.
- 2011. Well past time to stop using NOELs and LOELs. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:vi–viii. ,
- 1985. Effects of chronic high-level manganese exposure on male behavior in the Japanese Quail (Cotirnix coturnix japonica). Poult Sci 64:579–584. ,
- 1979. Cadmium and the food chain: the effect of dietary cadmium on tissue composition in chicks and laying hens. J Nutr 109:437–443. , ,
- 1981. Tissue residues of dietary cadmium in wood ducks. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 10:637–645. , , , ,
- 2003. Improving the use of toxicity reference values in wildlife food chain modeling and ecological risk assessment. Human Ecol Risk Assess 9:1585–1594. ,
- 2012. A comprehensive re-analysis of pesticide dermal toxicity data in birds and comparison with the rat. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 34:416–427.
- 1996. On the use of scaling factors to improve interspecies extrapolation of acute toxicity in birds. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 24:24–29. , ,
- 1997. Chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity studies of 2-methylnaphthalene in B6C3F1 mice. Fund Appl Toxicol 36:90–93. , , , , , ,
- 1979. Three-generation reproduction study of rats given 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) in the diet. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 50:241–252. , , , , ,
- 1992. Toxicity and reproductive effects of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in ring-necked pheasants. J Toxicol Environ Health 35:187–198. , , , ,
- 1980. Effect of petroleum hydrocarbons on hepatic function in the duck. Comp Biochem Physiol 65C:33–36. ,
- 2001. Species sensitivity distributions in ecotoxicology. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton Press. 587 p. , , (editors).
- 1998. Allometric models for interspecies extrapolation of wildlife toxicity data. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 62:653–663. ,
- 2011. Assessment of risks to ground-feeding songbirds from lead in the Coeur d'Alene Basin, Idaho, USA. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:596–611. , , ,
- 1996. Toxicological benchmarks for wildlife: 1996. Oak Ridge (TN): Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Revision ES/ER/TM–86/R3. , ,
- 2010. Recommended avian toxicity reference value for cadmium: Justification and rational for use in ecological risk assessments. Human Ecol Risk Assess 16:1261–1277. , , , ,
- 1996. Dietary exposure of mink to Carp from Saginaw Bay. 3. Characterization of dietary exposure to planar halogenated hydrocarbons, dioxin equivalents, and biomagnification. Environ Sci Technol 30:283–291. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- [USACHPPM] US Army Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Medicine. 2000. Standard practice for wildlife toxicity reference values. Aberdeen Proving Ground (MD): USACHPPM. Technical Guide No. 254.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1995. Great Lakes water quality initiative criteria documents for the protection of wildlife: DDT, Mercury, 2,3,7,8-TCDD, PCBs. Washington (DC): Office of Science and Technology. EPA/820/B-95-008.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1997. Ecological risk assessment guidance for Superfund: Process for designing and conducting ecological risk assessments. Washington (DC): Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. EPA 540-R97-006.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Guidelines for ecological risk assessment. Washington (DC): USEPA Risk Assessment Forum. EPA/630/R-95/002F.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. Screening level ecological risk assessment protocol for hazardous waste combustion facilities. Peer review draft. August. EPA/530/D-99/001A.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2005. Guidance for developing ecological soil screening levels. Washington (DC): Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. OSWER Directive 9285.7-55.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2007. Ecological soil screening levels for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Interim Final. Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. OSWER Directive 9285.7-78.
- [USEPA R9 BTAG] US Environmental Protection Agency Region 9 Biological Technical Assistance Group. 2009. BTAG mammalian and avian toxicity reference values. Available from the California Department of Toxic Substances Control's Site Cleanup Program. Revision Date February 24, 2009.
- 1978. Uptake and retention of dietary cadmium in mallard ducks. Environ Res 17:53–59. ,