Integrated wildfire risk assessment: Framework development and application on the Lewis and Clark National Forest in Montana, USA
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 329–342, April 2013
How to Cite
Thompson, M. P., Scott, J., Helmbrecht, D. and Calkin, D. E. (2013), Integrated wildfire risk assessment: Framework development and application on the Lewis and Clark National Forest in Montana, USA. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 329–342. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1365
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 SEP 2012 02:02PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2012
- 2011. Integrating fire behavior models and geospatial analysis for wildland fire risk assessment and fuel management planning. J Combust 2011: Article ID 572452. , ,
- 2009. A critical review of multi-criteria decision making methods with special reference to forest management and planning. Ecol Econ 68:2535–2548. ,
- 2008. Future research challenges for incorporation of uncertainty in environmental and ecological decision-making. Ecol Modell 219:383–399. , , ,
- 2007. Stewardship and fireshed assessment: A process for designing a landscape fuel treatment strategy. In: Restoring fire-adapted ecosystems: Proceedings of the 2005 National Silviculture Workshop; 2006 6–10 June; Tahoe City, CA, USA: General Technical Report PSW-GTR-203, USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. Albany, California, USA. p 41–54. , , ,
- 2005. Accepting uncertainty, assessing risk: Decision quality in managing wildfire, forest resource values, and new technology. Forest Ecol Manag 211:36–46.
- 2010. A new process for organizing assessments of social, economic, and environmental outcomes: Case study of wildland fire management in the USA. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:469–483. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: The 2010 Cohesive Strategy science report. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-262. Fort Collins (CO): US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p. , ,
- 2011. A real-time risk-assessment tool supporting wildland fire decision-making. J Forest 109:274–280. , , ,
- 2005. A fuzzy expert system to estimate intrinsic extinction probabilities of marine fishes to fishing. Biol Conserv 124:97–111. , ,
- 2010. Assessing crown fire potential in coniferous forests of western North America: a critique of current approaches and recent simulation studies. Int J Wildland Fire 19:377–398. ,
- 2007. Integrating science and local knowledge in environmental risk management: A decision-focused approach. Ecol Econ 64:47–60. , ,
- 2004. Using expert judgment and stakeholder values to evaluate adaptive management options. Ecol Soc 9:13. , ,
- 1998. FARSITE: Fire Area Simulator—Model development and evaluation. Research Paper RMRS-RP-4. Fort Collins (CO): USDA Forest Service.
- 2005. The challenge of quantitative risk analysis for wildland fire. Forest Ecol Manag 211:97–108.
- 2011. A method for ensemble wildland fire simulation. Environ Model Assess 16:153–167. , , , , , ,
- 2011. A simulation of probabilistic wildfire risk components for the continental United States. Stoch Environ Res Risk Assess 25:973–1000. , , ,
- 2011. Wildland fire risk and social vulnerability in the Southeastern United States: An exploratory spatial data analysis approach. Forest Policy Econ 13:24–36. , , , , ,
- 2007. Using expert knowledge to model forest stand vulnerability to fire. Comput Electron Agric 55:107–114. , ,
- 2009. Using structured decision making to help implement a precautionary approach to endangered species management. Risk Anal 29:518–532. ,
- 2004. Productivity of Ontario initial attack fire crews: Results of an expert-judgment elicitation study. Can J Forest Res 34:705–715. , , , ,
- 2004. The use of value focused thinking and the A'WOT hybrid method in tourism management. Tourism Management*** 25:499–506. , ,
- 2008. Ecological effects of large fires on US landscapes: Benefit or catastrophe? Int J Wildland Fire 17:696–712. , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Application of multicriteria decision analysis in environmental decision making. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:95–108. , , , ,
- 2010. The use of expert elicitation in environmental health impact assessment: A seven step procedure. Environ Health 9:19. , , ,
- 2010. Optimal spatial patterns of fuel management and timber harvest with fire risk. Can J Forest Res 40:95–108. , , ,
- 2012. The role of expert opinion in environmental modeling. Environ Modell Softw 36:4–18. , , , ,
- 2010. A guide to eliciting and using expert knowledge in Bayesian ecological models. Ecol Lett 13:900–914. , ,
- 2006. The Delphi process—an expert-based approach to ecological modeling and data-poor environments. Anim Conserv 9:11–19. ,
- 2004. What can decision analysis do for invasive species management? Risk Anal 24:859–868.
- 2012. An expert panel approach to assessing potential effects of bull trout reintroduction on federally listed salmonids in the Clackamas River, Oregon. N Am J Fish Manag 32:450–465. , , , ,
- 2007. Forest fire management. In: Weintraub A, Romero C, Bjørndal T, Epstein R, Miranda J, editors. Handbook of operations research in natural resources. New York: Springer. pp. 489–509.
- 2009. A novel, web-based, ecosystem mapping tool using expert opinion. Nat Area J 29:281–290. , ,
- 1994. Minimizing the cost of wildland fire suppression: A model with uncertainty in predicted flame length and fire-line width produced. Can J Forest Res 24:1253–1259. , ,
- 2010. The wildland-urban interface fire problem—current approaches and research needs. Int J Wildland Fire 19:238–251. , , , ,
- 2011. Predicting post-fire hillslope erosion in forest lands of the western United States. Int J Wildland Fire 20:982–999. , , ,
- 2009. How useful is expert opinion for predicting the distribution of a species within and beyond the region of expertise? A case study using brush-tailed rock-wallabies Petrogalepenicillata. J Appl Ecol 46:842–851. , , , , ,
- 2011. Developing the US Wildland Fire Decision Support System. J Combust 2011: Article ID 168473. , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Expert judgment in risk analysis and management: Process, context, and pitfalls. Risk Anal 12:83–93. ,
- 2011. Bayes Nets as a method for analyzing the influence of management actions in fire planning. Int J Wildland Fire 20:909–920. , ,
- 2011. The effect of aerial suppression on the containment time of Australian wildfires estimated by fire management personnel. Int J Wildland Fire 21:219–229. , , ,
- 2010. First-order fire effects models for land management: Overview and issues. Fire Ecol 6:131–142. ,
- 2009. LANDFIRE: A nationally consistent vegetation, wildland fire, and fuel assessment. Int J Wildland Fire 18:235–249.
- 2011. Which uncertainty? Using expert elicitation and expected value of information to design an adaptive program. Biol Conserv 144:1214–1223. , ,
- 2012. Probabilistic assessment of wildfire hazard and municipal watershed exposure. Nat Hazards 64:707–728. , , ,
- 2005. Standard fire behavior fuel models: A comprehensive set for use with Rothermel's surface fire spread model. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-153. Fort Collins (CO): USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. ,
- 2009. Guidebook on LANDFIRE fuels data acquisition, critique, modification, maintenance, and model calibration. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-220, USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- 2011. Uncertainty and risk in wildland fire management: A review. J Environ Manag 92:1895–1909. ,
- 2011. Integrated national-scale assessment of wildfire risk to human and ecological values. Stoch Environ Res Risk Assess 25:761–780. , , , ,
- 2012. A risk-based approach to wildland fire budgetary planning. Forest Sci DOI: 10.5849/forsci.09-124. , , , ,
- 2011. Advancing effects analysis for integrated, large-scale wildfire risk assessment. Environ Monit Assess 179:217–239. , , ,
- 2009. Fire risk evaluation using multicriteria analysis—A case study. Environ Modell Assess DOI: 10.1007/s10661-009-0997-3. , ,
- 2011. Accommodating non-market values in evaluation of wildfire management in the United States: Challenges and opportunities. Int J Wildland Fire 20:327–339. ,