Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
Projected Hg dietary exposure of 3 bird species nesting on a contaminated floodplain (South River, Virginia, USA)
Version of Record online: 14 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 285–293, April 2013
How to Cite
Wang, J. and Newman, M. C. (2013), Projected Hg dietary exposure of 3 bird species nesting on a contaminated floodplain (South River, Virginia, USA). Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 285–293. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1366
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 SEP 2012 02:03PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 2 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2012
- 2002. Song sparrow (Melospiza melodia). In: Pool A, Gill F, editors. The Birds of North America. No 704. Philadelphia (PA): The Academy of Natural Sciences and Washington (DC): The American Ornithologists' Union. 40 p. , , ,
- 1986. Population dynamics of the common loon (Gavia immer) associated with mercury-contaminated waters in northwestern Ontario. Ottawa (ON): Canadian Wildlife Service. Occasional paper 56.
- 2007. Influence of feeding ecology on blood mercury concentrations in four species of turtles. Environ Toxicol Chem 26:1733–1741. , , , ,
- 2008. Effects of mercury exposure on the reproductive success of tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor). Ecotoxicology 17:133–141. ,
- 2010. Relationship between laying sequence and mercury concentrations in tree swallow eggs. Environ Toxicol Chem 29:1155–1159. , ,
- 2011. Mercury-contaminated sediments affect amphipod feeding. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 60:437–443. , , , ,
- 1977. Chemical plants leave unexpected legacy for two Virginia rivers. Science 198:1015–1020.
- 1991. Experts in uncertainty: Opinion and subjective probability in science. New York (NY): Oxford University Press. p 12–17.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. 1999a. Carolina wren (Thryothorus Ludovicianus). [cited 2011 September 29]. Available from: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/lifehistory
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. 1999b. Song sparrow (Melospiza melodia). [cited 2011 September 29]. Available from: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-Owl/lifehistory
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. 1999c. Eastern screech-owl (Otus asio). [cited 2011 September 29]. Available from: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-Owl/lifehistory
- 2005. Patterns and interpretation of mercury exposure in freshwater avian communities in Northeastern North America. Ecotoxicology 14:193–221. , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Distribution, behavior, and transport of inorganic and methylmercury in a high gradient stream. Appl Geochem 25:1756–1769. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Statistical methods for eliciting probability distributions. J Am Stat Assoc 100:680–700. , ,
- 1995. Eastern Screech-Owl (Otus asio). In: Pool A, Gill F, editors. The Birds of North America. No 165. Philadelphia (PA): The Academy of Natural Sciences and Washington (DC): The American Ornithologists' Union. 24 p.
- 1914. The golden mean in the inheritance of size. Science 39:581–584.
- 1995. Carolina wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus). In: Pool A, Gill F, editors. The Birds of North America. No 188. Philadelphia (PA): The Academy of Natural Sciences and Washington (DC): The American Ornithologists' Union. 20 p. ,
- 1979. Methylmercury: Reproductive and behavioral effects on three generations of Mallard ducks. J Wildl Manage 43:394–401.
- 1901. The relation of sparrows to agriculture. Biol Surv Bull No 15. Washington (DC): US Department of Agriculture. 98 p.
- 2011. Thryothorus ludovicianus. [cited 2011 September 29]. Available from: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Thryothorus_ludovicianus.html ,
- 1954. The natural regulation of animal numbers. London, UK: Oxford University Press. 352 p.
- 2008. Birds of Augusta County, Virginia 3rd ed. Fishersville (VA): Augusta Bird Club. 116 p. editor.
- 2001. Log-normal distributions across the sciences: Keys and clues. BioScience 51:341–352. , ,
- 1994. Uses of probabilistic exposure models in ecological risk assessments of contaminated sites. Risk Anal 14:405–419. , ,
- 1997. The effects of hexachlorobenzene on Mink in the Canadian environment: an ecological risk assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 16:1042–1050. , ,
- 1999. A probabilistic risk assessment of the effects of methylmercury and PCBs on mink and kingfishers along East Fork Poplar Creek, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA. Environ Toxicol Chem 18:2941–2953. , , , ,
- 1998. The chemical cycle and bioaccumulation of mercury. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 29:543–566. , ,
- 2011. Floodplain methylmercury biomagnification factor higher than that of the contiguous river (South River, Virginia USA). Environ Pollut 159:2840–2844. , , ,
- 1998. Eliciting expert beliefs in substantial practical applications. The Statistician 47:21–35.
- 2005. Elicitation. Significance 2:84–86.
- 2006. Uncertain judgements: Eliciting experts' probabilities. Chichester (West Sussex): John Wiley & Son. 338 p. , , , , , , ,
- 2005. A probabilistic risk assessment of effects of methylmercury on Great egrets and Bald eagles foraging at a constructed wetland in South Florida relative to the Everglades. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 11:365–388.
- 1999. Ecological risk assessment in a large river-reservoir: 4. Piscivorous wildlife. Environ Toxicol Chem 18:610–620. ,
- 1994. Mercury and cause of death in Great white herons. J Wildl Manage 58:735–739. , , ,
- 2000. Methylmercury accumulation in tissues and its effects on growth and appetite in captive Great egrets. J Wildl Dis 36:411–422. , , , ,
- 2000. Training to improve calibration: The effects of performance and environmental feedback. Organ Behav Hum Decis Process 83:282–309. ,
- 2010. Modeling mercury biomagnification (South River, Virginia, USA) to inform river management decision making. Environ Toxicol Chem 29:1013–1020. , ,
- 1981. Seasonal prey capture by the screech owl in Tennessee. J Tenn Acad Sci 56:56–59. ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Method 7473 (SW-846), Revision 0: Mercury in solids and solutions by thermal decomposition, amalgamation, and atomic absorption spectrophotometry. Washington (DC): US Government Printing Office.
- 1975. The screech-owl: Its life history and population ecology in northern Ohio. N Am Fauna 71:63–65. ,
- Floodplain methylmercury biomagnification factor higher and more variable than that of the contiguous South River (Virginia, USA). Ecotox Env Safety (in press). DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2012.04.023. , , ,
- 2007. A dietary assessment of selenium risk to aquatic birds on a coal mine affected stream in Alberta, Canada. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 13:823–842. , ,
- 1998. Effects of mercury on wildlife: A comprehensive review. Environ Toxicol Chem 17:146–160. , ,
- 1983. Examination of bioaccumulation and biomagnifications of metals in a Precambrian shield lake. Water Air Soil Poll 19:277–291. ,