The drive to ban the NOEC/LOEC in favor of ECx is misguided and misinformed
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 12–16, January 2013
How to Cite
Green, J. W., Springer, T. A. and Staveley, J. P. (2013), The drive to ban the NOEC/LOEC in favor of ECx is misguided and misinformed. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 12–16. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1367
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 SEP 2012 09:36AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2012
- 1989. An equation to describe dose responses where there is stimulation of growth at low doses. Weed Res 29:93–96. ,
- 1992. A statistical procedure for modeling continuous toxicity data. Environ Toxicol Chem 11:1485–1494. ,
- 2011. Response to Landis and Chapman (2011). Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:4.
- 2012. Statistical analysis of histopathology data. SETAC Europe 22nd Annual Meeting; 20-24 May 2012; Berlin, Germany. , ,
- 1987. Multiple comparison procedures. New York: (NY). Wiley Interscience. ,
- 1996. Multiple comparisons theory and methods. Boca Raton (FL): Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- 2012. Bad habits die hard: The NOEC's persistence reflects poorly on ecotoxicology. Environ Toxicol Chem 31:228–229.
- 2011a. Well past time to stop using NOELs and LOELs. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:vi–viii. ,
- 2011b. Author's reply. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:5. ,
- [OECD] Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. 2006. Current approaches in the statistical analysis of ecotoxicity data: A guidance to application. OECD Report EVV/JM/MONO (2006)18.
- 2011. Can we reduce the number of fish in the OECD acute toxicity test? Environ Toxicol Chem 30:1006–1011. ,
- 1999. Statistical tests for hormesis and effective dosages in herbicide dose response. Agron J 91:713–721. , , ,
- 2002. Dose-response modelling of continuous endpoints. Toxicol Sci 66:298–312.
- 2012. Time to get off the fence: The need for definitive international guidance on statistical analysis of ecotoxicity data. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:242–245. , ,