Special Series: Ecosystem Services: from Policy to Practice
Safeguarding the provision of ecosystem services in catchment systems
Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 252–259, April 2013
How to Cite
Everard, M. (2013), Safeguarding the provision of ecosystem services in catchment systems. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 252–259. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1386
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 DEC 2012 11:14AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAY 2012
- 1997. Nature's services: Societal dependence on natural ecosystems. Washington DC: Island Press. 392 p.
- [Defra] Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. 2007. An introductory guide to valuing ecosystem services. London: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. 66 p.
- 2004. Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed. London (UK): Viking. 608 p.
- 2002. eThekwini catchments: A strategic tool for management. South Africa: eThekwini Municipality. , , , ,
- 2010. Navigation, flood risk management, and Mississippi River ecosystem rehabilitation. In: Potter KW, Frevert DK, editors. Watershed Management 2010: Innovations in watershed management under land use and climate change. Proceedings of the 2010 Watershed Management Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, August 23–27, 2010, p 431–442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/41143(394)39
- 2009. From the myth of a lost paradise to targeted river restoration: forget natural references and focus on human benefits. River Res App 25:568–581. ,
- 2006. Ecological versus social restoration? Environ Plann C: Govt Policy 24:661–680. ,
- 2009. Ecosystem service benefits of contrasting conservation strategies in a human-dominated region. Proc Roy Soc Lond B Biol Sci 276:2903–2911. , , , , , , ,
- 2009. The Business of biodiversity. Ashurst (UK): WIT Press. 208 p.
- 2011. Common ground: The sharing of land and landscapes for sustainability. London (UK): Zed Books. 192 p.
- 2012a. 25. What have rivers ever done for us? Ecosystem services and river systems. In: Boon PJ, Raven PJ, editors. River conservation and management. Chichester (UK): Wiley. p 313–324.
- 2012b. Why does ‘good ecological status’ matter? Water Environ J 26:165–174.
- 2009. Flood management: From defense to sustainability. Environmental Liability 2:35–49. , , , ,
- 2012. Rediscovering the value of urban rivers. Urban Ecosystems 15:293–314. ,
- 2012. Mayesbrook Park, East London: An ecosystem services assessment. Environment Agency Evidence report. The Rivers Trust. Available from: http://www.theriverstrust.org/projects/water/water_project.html , ,
- 2006. Why rehabilitate urban river systems? Area 38:312–325. ,
- 2000. The changing water paradigm: A look at twenty-first century water resources development. Water Intl 25:127–138.
- HM Government. 2011. The natural choice: Securing the value of nature. London (UK): The Stationary Office. 78 p.
- 2007. Commentaries: Reclaiming the definition of sustainability. Environ Sci Pollut R 14:60–66. , , ,
- 2010. Sustaining industrial activity and ecological quality: the potential role of an ecosystem services approach. In: Batty LC, Hallberg KB, editors. Ecology of industrial pollution. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press. p 327–344. , ,
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005a. Ecosystems and human well-being: Synthesis. Washington DC: Island Press. 137 p.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005b. Ecosystems and human well-being: Wetlands and water. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute. 68 p.
- 2010. Using the ecosystem services approach for better planning and conservation of urban green spaces: a Finland case study. Biodivers Conserv 19:3225–3243. , , , , , ,
- [OECD] Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. 2010. Paying for biodiversity: Enhancing the cost-effectiveness of payments for ecosystem services. Paris: OECD Publishing. 196 p.
- 2010. A framework for assessing ecological quality based on ecosystem services. Ecol Compl 7:273–281. , ,
- Times of India. 2012. Maha must assess its ecosystem: Scientists. 2nd April 2012. Mumbai: Times of India.
- UK National Ecosystem Assessment. 2011. The UK National Ecosystem Assessment: Synthesis of the key findings. Cambridge: UNEP-WCMC.
- [UNFPA] United Nations Population Fund. 2007. State of the world population 2007: Unleashing the potential of urban growth. New York (NY): United Nations.
- 2001. City form and natural process: Indicators for the ecological performance of urban areas and their implication to Merseyside, UK. Landscape Urban Plan 57:91–103. , ,
- World Commission on Dams. 2000. Dams and development: A new framework for better decision-making. London (UK): Earthscan. 404 p.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. 1987. Our common future. Oxford (UK): Oxford University Press. 400 p.