Special Series: Ecosystem Services: from Policy to Practice
Ecosystem services and environmental decision making: Seeking order in complexity
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 214–230, April 2013
How to Cite
Apitz, S. E. (2013), Ecosystem services and environmental decision making: Seeking order in complexity. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 214–230. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1389
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 DEC 2012 09:34AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 31 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2012
- 2007. Conceptual frameworks to balance ecosystem and security goals. In: Linkov I, editor. Environmental security in ports and harbors. Dordrecht, NL: Springer. p 147–173.
- 2008a. Editorial. Managing ecosystems: The importance of integration. Integr Environ Assess Manag 4:273.
- 2008b. Editorial. Adaptive management principles and sediment management: A call for discussions. J Soil Sediment 8:359–362.
- 2012. Conceptualizing the role of sediment in sustaining ecosystem services: Sediment-ecosystem regional assessment (SEcoRA). Sci Total Environ 415:9–30.
- 2010. ME1104 research and support for developing a UK strategy for managing contaminated sediments: An analysis of the project findings. Report to Defra. Glasgow, Scotland: Partrac and SEA Environmental Decisions. p 100. ,
- 2010. The sediment relative risk model (SC080018)—A user's guide. Report to the Environment Agency. Little Hadham, UK: SEA Environmental Decisions and Cranfield University. p 175. , , ,
- 2006. European environmental management: Moving to an ecosystem approach. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2:80–86. , , ,
- 2011. Management of the marine environment: Integrating ecosystem services and societal benefits with the DPSIR framework in a systems approach. Mar Pollut Bull 62:215–226. , , ,
- 2012. A Bayesian approach to landscape ecological risk assessment applied to the Upper Grande Ronde Watershed, Oregon. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 18:946–970. ,
- 2012. Bayesian networks in environmental and resource management. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:418–429. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2012. Valuation without action? On the use of economic valuations of ecosystem services, Policy Brief IDDRI. Institut du developpment durable et des rlations internationles; invaluable: Valuations, Markets and Policies for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.iddri.org/Publications/Valuation-without-action-On-the-use-of-economic-valuations-of-ecosystem-services , , , ,
- 2012. Putting a price on everything is no way to treat the countryside. London, UK: The Independent. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/terence-blacker/terence-blacker-putting-a-price-on-everything-is-no-way-to-treat-the-countryside-7881111.html
- 2005. What are ecosystem services? The need for standardized environmental accounting units. Discussion paper, resources for the future DP 06-02, Washington, DC. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.rff.org/documents/RFF-DP-06-02.pdf ,
- 2007. The nature and value of ecosystem services: An overview highlighting hydrologic services. Annu Rev Environ Resour 32:67–98. , , ,
- [CBD] Convention on Biodiversity. 1998. Report of the workshop on the ecosystem approach. UNEP Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Lilongwe, Malawi.
- 2008. Ecosystem services—Assessment endpoints for scientific investigations. Mar Pollut Bull 56:1237–1238.
- 1998. Nature: Western attitudes since ancient times. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press. p. 256.
- 2007. Conceptual model development for invasive species and a regional risk assessment case study: The European green crab, Carcinus maenas, at Cherry Point, Washington, USA. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 13:120–155. ,
- 1997. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–260. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Geology of mankind. Nature 415:23.
- 2009. Ecosystem services in decision making: Time to deliver. Front Ecol Environ 7:21–28. , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Challenges in integrating the concept of ecosystem services and values in landscape planning, management and decision making. Ecol Complex 7:260–272. , , , ,
- 2002. A typology for the classification, description and valuation of ecosystem functions, goods and services. Ecol Econ 41:393–408. , ,
- [Defra] Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. 2007. An introductory guide to valuing ecosystem services. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/03/28/pb12852-ecosystem-services/
- [EA] Environment Agency of England and Wales. 2011. Catchment Sensitive Farming ECSFDI Phase 1 & 2 Full Evaluation Report. Environment Agency. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/csf-evaluationreport_tcm6-27149.pdf
- [EC] European Commission. 1985. Council Directive 85/337/EEC of 27 June 1985. on the assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment. Official Journal of the European Communities, L 175, 05/07/1985: 0040-0048
- [EC] European Commission. 2001a. Communication from the commission to the council, the European Parliament, The Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions On the sixth environment action programme of the European Community ‘Environment 2010: Our future, Our choice’ - The Sixth Environment Action Programme - Proposal for a decision of the European Parliament and of the Council Laying down the Community Environment Action Programme 2001–2010 (No. COM (2001) 31 final 2001/0029 (COD)). Brussels.
- [EC] European Commission. 2001b. Directive 2001/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 June 2001on the assessment of the effects of certain plans and programmes on the environment. Official Journal of the European Communities L 197/30: 21.7.2001.
- [EC] European Commission. 2004. Directive 2004/35/CE European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 on environmental liability with regard to the prevention and remedying of environmental damage. Official Journal of the European Communities L 143/56: 30.4.2004.
- [EC] European Commission. 2006. Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006.
- [EC] European Commission. 2011. Improvement of Risk Assessment in View of the Needs of Risk Managers and Policy Makers (Preliminary opinion approved for public consultation the expected input of which will lead to changes in the final text of the opinion.). Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks (SCHER), Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR), Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS), p. 75. [cited 2012 February 21]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/environmental_risks/docs/scher_o_154.pdf
- [ECHA] European Chemicals Agency. 2012. Guidance on registration. Guidance for the implementation of REACH. Version 2.0. Helsinki, Finland: European Chemicals Agency.
- 2004. A framework for net environmental benefit analysis for remediation or restoration of contaminated sites. Environ Manage 34:315–331. , ,
- [EFSA] European Food Safety Authority. 2010. Scientific opinion on the development of specific protection goal options for environmental risk assessment of pesticides, in particular in relation to the revision of the guidance documents on aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology (SANCO/3268/2001 and SANCO/10329/2002). EFSA Panel on plant protection products and their residues (PPR). EFSA Journal 8:1821.
- [EFSA] European Food Safety Authority. 2011. Guidance on the environmental risk assessment of plant pests. EFSA Panel on Plant Health (PLH). EFSA Journal 9:2460.
- 2011. Common ground. The sharing of land and landscapes for sustainability. London, UK: Zed Books. p 214.
- 1992. Origins of Western environmentalism. Sci Am 267:42–47.
- 1995. Green imperialism. Colonial expansion, tropical island Edens and the origins of environmentalism, 1600–1860. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p 560.
- 2007. The ecosystem concept and the identification of ecosystem goods and services in the English Policy context. Review Paper to Defra, Project Code NR0107, p. 21. [cited 2013 February 21]. Available from: http://www.ecosystemservices.org.uk/reports.htm ,
- 2006a. Defining and identifying environmental limits for sustainable development. A scoping study. Final full technical report to Defra. Project Code NR0102, p. 103 pp + appendix 177 pp. [cited 2013 February 21]. Available from: http://www.ecosystemservices.org.uk/reports.htm , ,
- 2006b. Defining and identifying environmental limits for sustainable development. A scoping study. Final overview report to Defra, Project Code NR0102, p. 44. [cited 2013 February 21]. Available from: http://www.ecosystemservices.org.uk/reports.htm , ,
- [IEMA] Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment. 2011. Considering ecosystem services in environmental impact assessment. IEMA eBrief. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.iema.net/readingroom/e-briefings/considering-ecosystem-services-environmental-impact-assessment
- [IFC] International Finance Corporation. 2012. Guidance Note 6. Biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of living natural resources. International Finance Corporation, World Banking Group, p. 69. [cited 21 February 2013]. Available from: http://www1.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/a359a380498007e9a1b7f3336b93d75f/Updated_GN6-2012.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
- 1998. Ecology: The science versus the myth. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 4:829–838. ,
- 2010. Environmental risk assessment and management from a landscape perspective. Hoboken (NJ): John Wiley and Sons. p 396. ,
- 2008. Natural Experiments: Ecosystem-Based Management and the Environment. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. p 416.
- 2005. Regional scale ecological risk assessment using the relative risk model. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press. p 320.
- [MA] Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: General synthesis. Millennium ecosystem assessment. Washington, DC: Island Press. p 160.
- [MAG-ACQUE] Magistrato alle Acque di Venzia. 2010. Stato dell;ecosistem lagunare veneziano. Strumenti del Magistrato alle Acque di Venzia. Marsilo, Venice, Italy. p 289.
- 1864. Man and nature: or physical geography as modified by human action. New York (NY): Charles Scribner.
- 2009. Translating ecological risk to ecosystem service loss. Integr Environ Assess Manag 5:500–514. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Nature. 2012. Farm focus for saving trees. News in focus. Nature 483:517–518.
- [NEF] New Economics Foundation. 2011. Value slipping through the net—Managing fish stocks for public benefit. New Economics Foundation. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/value-slipping-through-the-net
- 2009. FORUM: Priority research areas for ecosystem services in a changing world. J Appl Ecol 46:1139–1144. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Incorporating ecosystem service valuation into remedial decision-making: Net ecosystem service analysis. American Bar Association. Superfund and Natural Resource Damage Litigation Committee Newsletter 7:9–13. , ,
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2005. Valuing ecosystem services: Toward better environmental decision-making. Committee on Assessing and Valuing the Services of Aquatic and Related Terrestrial Ecosystems. Washington, DC: National Research Council.
- 2009. A framework for assessing ecological quality based on ecosystem services. Ecol Complex 7:273–281. , ,
- 1990. Qualitative evaluation and research methods. 2nd ed. Newbury Park (CA): Sage. p 374.
- 2010. Ecosystem service bundles for analyzing tradeoffs in diverse landscapes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:5242–5247. , ,
- 2009. Payments for ecosystem services and the challenge of saving nature. Conserv Biol 23:785–787. ,
- 1998. Managing science/management partnerships: A challenge of adaptive management. Conserv Ecol 2:R1.
- 2007. Environmental Law and Policy. 2nd ed. Eagan (MN): Foundation Press. p 388. ,
- 1991. The art of the long view. Planning for the future in an uncertain world. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons.
- 2011. A quantitative review of ecosystem service studies: approaches, shortcomings and the road ahead. J Appl Ecol 48:630–636. , , ,
- 2004. Extinction and ecosystem function in the marine benthos. Science 306:1177–1180. , , , , ,
- 2008. Valuation of ecological resources. Integration of ecology and socioeconomics in environmental decision making. Pensacola (FL): SETAC Press. p 231. , , ,
- 2011. The Anthropocene: Conceptual and historical perspectives. Phil Trans R Soc A 369:842–867. , , ,
- 1871–1873. Corsa di geologia. Milan, Italy: Bernardoni & Brigola.
- 2010. Soil biodiversity: Functions, threats and tools for policy makers. Bio Intelligence Service, IRD, and NIOO, Report for European Commission (DG Environment). [cited 2012 December 10]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/soil/pdf/biodiversity_report.pdf , , , , , , ,
- [UKNEA] UK National Ecosystem Assessment. 2011. The UK National Ecosystem Assessment: Synthesis of the key findings. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, p. 87. [cited 2013 February 21]. Available from: http://sd.defra.gov.uk/2011/06/national-ecosystem-assessment-synthesis-report/
- 1995. The science charade in toxic risk regulation. Colum L Rev 95:1613–1723.
- Wall DH, editor. 2004. Sustaining Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in Soils and Sediments. Washington D. C. : Island Press. p 275.
- [WDNR] Washington State Department of Natural Resources. 2007. Aquatic Resources Program Endangered Species Act Compliance Project. Potential Effects and Expected Outcomes Technical Paper. Seattle (WA): Washington State Department of Natural Resources.p 210.
- 2012. Ecosystem services: Protecting the commons (Editorial). Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:395–396. ,
- 2007. Understanding environmental security in ports and harbors. In: Linkov I, editor. Environmental security in ports and harbors. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Springer-Verlag. p 2–12. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Desk based study of the sediment inputs to the Broads catchment, with the identification of key inputs and recommendations for further targeted research and management to minimise inputs. Final Report to the Broads Authority, Phases I and II. Cranfield University, Silsoe, UK. , , ,
- 2010. A corpus linguistics analysis of ecosystems vocabulary in the public sphere (CLAEVIPS). Commissioned by the NEA. Lexical Computing Ltd. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://uknea.unep-wcmc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=xVtddAx5SbM%3d&tabid=82 p. 60. ,
- 2002. A spatially explicit hierarchical approach to modeling complex ecological systems: Theory and applications. Ecol Modell 153:7–26. ,
- [YLS] York Law School. 2009. Contaminated dredged marine sediments (CMS): Developing a management framework (ME 1104). Task 2: Exploring liability and the polluter pays principle. Final Report [draft 2]. York: York Law School. p 102.
- 2011. The Anthropocene: A new epoch of geological time? Phil Trans R Soc A 369:835–841. , , ,
- 2008. Ecologically-based LCA—An approach for quantifying the role of natural capital in product life cycles, Reprint- McGraw Hill Publications. Ohio State University. 366 p. [cited 2012 December 3]. Available from: http://etd.ohiolink.edu/send-pdf.cgi/Zhang%20Yi.pdf?osu1222102539
- 2010. Accounting for ecosystem services in life cycle assessment. Part I: A critical review. Environ Sci Technol 44:2232–2242. , ,