Expert opinion on toxicity profiling—report from a NORMAN expert group meeting
Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 185–191, April 2013
How to Cite
Hamers, T., Legler, J., Blaha, L., Hylland, K., Marigomez, I., Schipper, C. A., Segner, H., Vethaak, A. D., Witters, H., de Zwart, D. and Leonards, P. E. (2013), Expert opinion on toxicity profiling—report from a NORMAN expert group meeting. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 185–191. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1395
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 JAN 2013 01:26PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 19 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2012
- 2009. Endocrine disrupting chemicals in fish: Developing exposure indicators and predictive models of effects based on mechanisms of action. Aquat Toxicol 92:168–178. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Integrated biomarker response: A useful tool for ecological risk assessment. Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1316–1322. ,
- 2003. Effect-directed analysis: A promising tool for the identification of organic toxicants in complex mixtures? Anal Bioanal Chem 377:397–407.
- 2000. Characterizing and identifying toxicants in marine waters: A review of marine toxicity identification evaluations (TIEs). Int J Environ Pollut 13:2–33.
- Clean Water Act. 1977. 33 USC §1251 et seq.
- 1993. Coupling of computer modeling with in vitro methodologies to reduce animal usage in toxicity testing. Toxicol Lett 68:101–117.
- 2005. Complex mixture toxicity for single and multiple species: Proposed methodologies. Environ Toxicol Chem 24:2665–2676. ,
- 2002. Toxicity-based assessment of water quality. In: Posthuma L, Suter GW II, Traas T, editors. Species sensitivity distributions in ecotoxicology. Boca Raton (FL): Lewis Publishers. p 383–402. ,
- 2007. The ToxCast program for prioritizing toxicity testing of environmental chemicals. Toxicol Sci 95:5–12. , , , , ,
- [EC] European Commission. 2000. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy. Official J Eur Commun L327:1–72.
- [EC] European Commission. 2003. Common Implementation Strategy for the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC). Guidance document no 7. Monitoring under the Water Framework Directive. [cited 2012 November 2]. Available from: http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/env/wfd/library?l=/framework_directive/guidance_documents/guidancesnos7smonitoring/_EN_1.0_&a=d
- [EC] European Commission. 2008. Directive 2008/105/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 2008 on environmental quality standards in the field of water policy. Official J Eur Commun L348:84–97.
- 2003. The potential of mechanism-based bioanalytical tools in ecotoxicological exposure and effect assessment. Anal Bioanal Chem 377:386–396. ,
- 2008. Monitoring of the ecotoxicological hazard potential by polar organic micropollutants in sewage treatment plants and surface waters using a mode-of-action based test battery. J Environ Monit 10:622–631. , , , ,
- 2006. In vitro profiling of the endocrine disrupting potency of brominated flame retardants. Toxicol Sci 92:157–173. , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Toxicity profiling: An integrated effect-based tool for site-specific sediment quality assessment. Integr Environ Assess Manag 6:761–773. , , , ,
- 2003. A new sediment contact assay to assess particle-bound pollutants using zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. J Soil Sediment 3:197–207. , , , , ,
- 2004. Toxicological profiling of sediments using in vitro bioassays, with emphasis on endocrine disruption. Environ Toxicol Chem 23:32–40. , , , , , ,
- [ICES] International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. 2011. Report of the Study Group on Integrated Monitoring of Contaminants and Biological Effects (SGIMC), 14-18 March 2011, Copenhagen, Denmark. ICES CM 2011/ACOM:30. 265 p.
- 1995. Toxicity and bioaccumulation of sediment-associated contaminants using freshwater invertebrates: A review of methods and applications. Environ Toxicol Chem 14:1885–1894. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1977. Optimal data classification for choropleth maps. Lawrence (KS): University of Kansas. 24 p.
- 2006. A geographic information systems-based, weights-of-evidence approach for diagnosing aquatic ecosystem impairment. Environ Toxicol Chem 25:2237–2249. ,
- 2012. Update on EPA's ToxCast Program: Providing high throughput decision support tools for chemical risk management. Chem Res Toxicol 25:1287–1302. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A fuzzy logic-classification of sediments based on data from in vitro biotests. J Soils Sediments 9:168–179. , , , , ,
- 2010. The use of in vitro toxicity data and physiologically based kinetic modeling to predict dose-response curves for in vivo developmental toxicity of glycol ethers in rat and man. Toxicol Sci 118:470–484. , , , , , , ,
- 2013. Marine ecosystem health status assessment through integrative biomarker indices: A comparative study after the Prestige-oil spill “Mussel Watch”. Ecotoxicology. Available from: DOI: 10.1007/s10646-013-1042-4. , , , , ,
- 1993. Biomarkers - Research and application in the assessment of environmental health. NATO ASI Series H: Cell Biology, Vol 68. Germany: Springer Verlag. 119 p. ,
- 2010. Assessment of water quality in the Alqueva Reservoir (Portugal) using bioassays. Environ Sci Pollut Res 17:688–702. , , , , , ,
- 2000. An approach for assessment of water quality using semipermeable membrane devices (SPMDs) and bioindicator tests. Chemosphere 41:311–321. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Microbial bioassays to assess the toxicity of solid-associated contaminants. Ecotox Environ Safe 31:99–103. , ,
- 2011. A harmonized European framework for method validation to support research on emerging pollutants. TRAC 30:1233–1242. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Blood plasma sample preparation method to determine thyroid hormone-disrupting compounds in Effect-Directed Analysis. Environ Sci Technol 45:7936–7944. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Congener-specific model for polychlorinated biphenyl effects on otter (Lutra lutra) and associated sediment quality criteria. Environ Toxicol Chem 20:205–212. , , , , , , ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. Web-based Interspecies Correlation Estimation (Web-ICE) for acute toxicity: User manual version 3.1. Raimondo S, Vivian DN, Barron MG, editors. Gulf Breeze, FL. [cited 2012 August 15]. Available from: http://epa.gov/ceampubl/fchain/webice/
- 2011. Traits-based approaches in bioassessment and ecological risk assessment: Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:198–208. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-mediated toxic potency of dissolved lipophilic organic contaminants collected from Lincoln Creek, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, to PLHC-1 (Poeciliopsis lucida) fish hepatoma cells. Environ Toxicol Chem 16:977–984. , ,
- 2005. Passive sampling techniques for monitoring pollutants in water. Trends Anal Chem 24:845–868. , , , , , , ,
- 1965. Fuzzy sets. Inf Control 8:338–353.