Special Series: Ecosystem Services: from Policy to Practice
The practicalities and pitfalls of establishing a policy-relevant and cost-effective soil biological monitoring scheme
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 276–284, April 2013
How to Cite
Faber, J. H., Creamer, R. E., Mulder, C., Römbke, J., Rutgers, M., Sousa, J. P., Stone, D. and Griffiths, B. S. (2013), The practicalities and pitfalls of establishing a policy-relevant and cost-effective soil biological monitoring scheme. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 276–284. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1398
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JAN 2013 12:28PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2012
- 2005. The biology of soil: A community and ecosystem approach. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. 254 p.
- 2005. Biological diversity and function in soils. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 428 p. , ,
- 2006. Using soil health to assess ecotoxicological impacts of pollutants on soil microflora. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 188:127–148. ,
- 2007. ENVASSO (Environmental Assessment of Soil for Monitoring) WP5—Decline in soil biodiversity. European Union Contract 022713. Luxembourg: European Commission, Publications Office of the European Union. 22 p. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Indicators for monitoring soil biodiversity. Integr Environ Assess Manag 5:717–719. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Ecological classification and assessment concepts in soil protection. Ecotoxicol Environ Safety 62:211–229. , , ,
- 2007. Soil fauna and soil function in the fabric of the food web. Pedobiologia 50:447–462. , , , ,
- 2007. Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press. 1264 p. , editors.
- [CBD] Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. Global Biodiversity Outlook 3. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. Montréal. 94 p.
- 2009. An inter-laboratory comparison of multi-enzyme and multiple substrate-induced respiration assays to assess method consistency in soil monitoring. Biol Fertil Soils 45:623–633. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Estimating prokaryotic diversity and its limits. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:10494–10499. , ,
- 2009. Biogeographical patterns of soil bacterial communities. Environ Microbiol Rep 1:251–255. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Biogeographical patterns of soil molecular microbial biomass as influenced by soil characteristics and management. Glob Ecol Biogeogr 20:641–652. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Soil health and sustainability: Managing the biotic component of soil quality. Appl Soil Ecol 15:3–11. ,
- [EU] European Union. 2006. Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a framework for the protection of soil and amending Directive 2004/35/EC. COM 232 (2006) final. Brussels, Commission of the European Communities. 30 p.
- 2006. European experience on application of site-specific ecological risk assessment in terrestrial ecosystems. Human Ecol Risk Assess 12:1–39.
- 2006. Soil health scenarios. In: Thomsen M, Sorensen PB, Fauser P, Faber J, Van der Pol J, Peirano F, Magnetti Vernai A, Strebel K, Schlink U, et al., editors. Report Deliverable D.1.2.4, Integrated Project “NOMIRACLE” of the EU 6th Framework Programme, project no. 003956; p 62–76. Available from: http://nomiracle.jrc.ec.europa.eu/Documents/PublicDeliverables/D.1.2.4%20Pre-selection%20of%20scenario%20for%20cumulative%20risk%20assessment.pdf , ,
- 2011. Elaborations on the use of the ecosystem services concept for application in ecological risk assessment for soils. Sci Total Environ 415:3–8. ,
- 2009. Indicators of biodiversity and ecosystem services: a synthesis across ecosystems and spatial scales. Oikos 118:1862–1871. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Agricultural impacts on soil erosion and soil biodiversity: Developing indicators for policy analysis. Proceedings from an OECD Expert Meeting-Rome. Paris: Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 654 p.
- 2009. Soil biodiversity monitoring in Europe: Ongoing activities and challenges. Eur J Soil Sci 60:807–819. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The bacterial biogeography of British soils. Environ Microbiol 13:1642–1654. , , , , ,
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2004. Soil quality—Guidance on the establishment and maintenance of monitoring programmes. ISO 16133. Geneva, Switzerland.
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2010. Soil quality—Sampling of soil invertebrates. Part 6: Guidance for the design of sampling programmes with soil invertebrates. ISO 23611-6. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2010. European Atlas of Soil Biodiversity. Luxembourg: European Commission, Publications Office of the European Union. EUR 24375 EN, 128 p. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Soil monitoring in Europe: A review of existing systems and requirements for harmonization. Sci Total Environ 391:1–12. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Observational and simulated evidence of ecological shifts within the soil nematode community of agroecosystems under conventional and organic farming. Funct Ecol 17:516–525. , , , ,
- 2011. A belowground perspective on Dutch agroecosystems: How soil organisms interact to support ecosystem services. Adv Ecol Res 44:277–357. , , , , , , , ,
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 2002. Report on the OECD expert meeting on agri-biodiversity indicators. November 2001: Summary and recommendations. OECD Joint Working Party on Agriculture and Environment COM/AGR/CA/ENV/EPOC (2002) 35. Paris: OECD.
- 2012. Standardisation of methods in soil microbiology: Progress and challenges. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 82:1–10. , , , ,
- 2010. Biogeography of soil microbial communities: A review and a description of the ongoing French national initiative. Agron Sust Dev 30:359–365. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Selecting biological indicators for monitoring soils: A framework for balancing scientific and technical opinion to assist policy development. Ecol Indicat 9:1212–1221. , , , ,
- 2006. Monitoring of soil organisms: A set of standardized field methods proposed by ISO. Eur J Soil Biol 42:61–64. , , ,
- 2012. Determination and analysis of the soil quality in the context of the implementation and further development of the National Strategy on Biodiversity [in German]. Dessau, Germany: Report for the German Federal Environment Agency. 395 p. , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. Site-specific ecological risk assessment. In: Swartjes FA, editor. Dealing with contaminated sites—from theory toward practical application. Dordrecht: Springer. p 693–720. ,
- 2008. Soil ecosystem profiling in the Netherlands with ten references for biological soil quality. Bilthoven: RIVM report 607604009. 85 pp. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Biological measurements in a nationwide soil monitoring network. Eur J Soil Sci 60:820–832. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2012. A method to assess ecosystem services developed from soil attributes with stakeholders and data of four arable farms. Sci Tot Environ 415:39–48. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Een indicatorsysteem voor life support functies van de bodem in relatie tot biodiversiteit. Bilthoven: RIVM report 712910005. 90 pp. , , , ,
- 2012. Soil ecosystem health and services—Evaluation of ecological indicators susceptible to chemical stressors. Ecol Indicat 16:67–75. , ,
- 2010. Soil biodiversity: Functions, threats and tools for policy makers. Bio Intelligence Service, IRD, and NIOO, Report for European Commission (DG Environment). , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Communities and ecosystems: Linking the aboveground and belowground components. Princeton (NJ): Princeton University Press. 382 p.
- 2003. Soil quality monitoring programs: A literature review. Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural Development Conservation and Development Branch, Edmonton, Canada. 77 p. Available from: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/aesa8531/$file/8398.pdf