Special Series: Ecosystem Services: from Policy to Practice
European perspective of ecosystem services and related policies
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 231–236, April 2013
How to Cite
Dunbar, M. B., Panagos, P. and Montanarella, L. (2013), European perspective of ecosystem services and related policies. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 9: 231–236. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1400
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 28 JAN 2013 01:11PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2012
- 2003. Developing a high nature value farming area indicator. Report for the European Environment Agency, Copenhagen. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://www.ieep.eu/assets/646/Developing_HNV_indicator.pdf , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Nature conservation and new directions in the Common Agriculture Policy. London, UK: Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP). , , ,
- 1994. The nature of farming: Low intensity farming systems in nine European countries. London, UK: Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP). , ,
- 2012. Mapping ecosystem services supply, demand and budgets. Ecol Indic 21:17–29. , , ,
- 2009. Science for managing ecosystem services: Beyond the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. PNAS 106:1305–1312. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- CORINE. 2006. CORINE Land Cover 2006. [cited 2012 December 5]. Available from: http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/corine-land-cover-2006-clc2006-100-m-version-12-2009
- 1997. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–260. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Natural capital. In: Cutler J, editor. Encyclopedia of Earth. Washington, DC: Environmental Information Coalition, National Council for Science and the Environment. [First published in the Encyclopedia of Earth. Last revised 2008 July 31]. Available from: http://www.eoearth.org/article/Natural_capital ,
- 1997. Nature's services. Societal dependence on natural ecosystems. Washington, DC: Island Press. 392 p. , editor.
- 2012. The new European biodiversity strategy: A challenge to the restoration community! Ecol Restor 30:93–94.
- 2007. Land use change around protected areas: Management to balance human needs and ecological function. Ecol Appl 17:1031–1038. , , , ,
- 1981. Extinction. New York (NY): Ballantine. 305 p. ,
- European Commission. 2011a. Our life insurance, our natural capital: An EU biodiversity strategy to 2020. European Commission COM (2011) 244 final. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/comm2006/2020.htm
- European Commission. 2011b. Proposal for a regulation of the European parliament and of the council on support of rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). COM (2011) 627 final/2. Brussels.
- European Commission. 2012. Guidelines on best practice to limit, mitigate or compensate soil sealing. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/soil/pdf/soil_sealing_guidelines_en.pdf
- European Council. 2003. Council Regulation (EC) No 1782/2003. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/general_framework/l60042_en.htm
- European Council. 2006. Council Decision No 2006/144/EC of 20 February 2006 on Community strategic guidelines for rural development (programming period 2007 to 2013). [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/general_framework/l60042_en.htm
- European Parliament. 2009. Directive 2009/147/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of the 30 November 2009 on the conservation of wild birds. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:020:0007:0025:en:PDF
- 2010. An assessment of ecosystem services and biodiversity in Europe. Issues in Environmental Science and Technology 30:1–28. , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. The scaling of green space coverage in European cities. Biol Lett 5:352–355. ,
- 2006. Beta diversity at different spatial scales: plant communities in organic and conventional agriculture. Ecol Appl 16:2011–2021. , , ,
- 2008. Using CORINE land cover and the point survey LUCAS for area estimation. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 10:467–475. ,
- 2011. Biofuels, ecosystem services and human wellbeing: Putting biofuels in the ecosystem services narrative. Agr Ecosyst Environ 142:111–128. , ,
- 2007. An assessment of market-based approaches to providing ecosystem services on agricultural land. Ecol Econ 64:321–332. ,
- 1975. The economics of natural environments. Baltimore (MD): Johns Hopkins University Press. 292 p. ,
- 2007. WOCAT—Where the land is greener—Case studies and analysis of soil and water conservation initiatives worldwide. Bern, Switzerland: Stampfli AG. ,
- [MA] Millenium Ecosystem Assessment 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: Synthesis. Washington, DC: Island Press. Available from:http://www.unep.org/maweb/en/Synthesis.aspx
- 2011. A European assessment of the provision of ecosystem services: Towards an atlas of ecosystem services. EUR 24654 EN. Joint Research Centre-Institute for Environment and Sustainability. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. , ,
- 2012. Synergies and trade-offs between ecosystem service supply, biodiversity, and habitat conservation status in Europe. Biol Conserv 155:1–12. , , , ,
- 2012. Mapping ecosystem services for policy support and decision making in the European Union. Ecosyst Serv 1:31–39. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Functional biodiversity: An agroecosystem approach. Agr Ecosyst Environ 127:7–21. , ,
- 1997. Ecosystem services: A fragmentary history. In: Daily GE, editor. Nature's services. Societal dependence on natural ecosystems. Washington, DC: Island Press. p 11–19. ,
- 2004. Protected areas and biodiversity: An overview of key issues. CBD Secretariat, Montreal, Canada and UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, UK. , , editors.
- 2012. Rewilding abandoned landscapes in Europe. Ecosystems 15:900–912. ,
- 2008. High nature value farmland in Europe. An estimate of the distribution patterns on the basis of land cover and biodiversity data. JRC report EUR 23480 EN. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://ams.jrc.it/publications/pdfs/HNV_Final_Report.pdf , , , ,
- 2011. Overview on best practices for limiting soil sealing and mitigating its effects in EU-27 (Environment Agency Austria), Technical Report- 2011-50. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/soil/sealing.htm , ,
- 2012. Biodiversity and ecosystems services: Complementary approaches for ecosystem management? Ecol Indic 21:123–133. , , ,
- 2012. Delphi-based change assessment in ecosystem service values to support strategic planning in Italian landscapes. Ecol Indic 21:134–144. , ,
- 2012. Form follows function? Proposing a blueprint for ecosystem services assessments based on reviews and case studies. Ecol Indic 21:145–154. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Marginal lands in Europe—Causes of decline. Basic Appl Ecol 6:99–106.
- 2007. Ecosystem services and agriculture: Cultivating agricultural ecosystems for diverse benefits. Ecol Econ 64:245–252. , , ,
- [TEEB] The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity. 2010. The economics of ecosystems and biodiversity: Mainstreaming the economics of nature: A synthesis of the approach, conclusions and recommendations of TEEB. Malta: Progress Press.
- [UN] United Nations. United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development. 2012. The future we want—Outcome document. [cited 2012 December 6]. Available from: http://www.uncsd2012.org/thefuturewewant.html
- 2012. Soil ecology and ecosystem services. 1st ed. Oxford (UK): Oxford University Press. , , , , , , , , , editors.