On the application of an environmental radiological assessment system to an anthropomorphic surrogate
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2013
© 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 125–132, January 2014
How to Cite
Brown, J. E., Hosseini, A. and Dowdall, M. (2014), On the application of an environmental radiological assessment system to an anthropomorphic surrogate. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 10: 125–132. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1454
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 JUN 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2012
- 1999. An ecosystem model for assessing ecological risks in Quebec rivers, lakes, and reservoirs. Ecol Model 124:43–67. , , , ,
- 2008a. An international comparison of models and approaches for the estimation of the radiological exposure of non-human biota. Appl Radiat Isotopes 66:1745–1749. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Inter-comparison of models to estimate radionuclide activity concentrations in non-human biota. Radiat Environ Biophys 47:491–514. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008c. Derivation of transfer parameters for use within the ERICA Tool and the default concentration ratios for terrestrial biota. J Environ Radioactiv 99:1393–1407. , , , , ,
- 2010. Predicting the radiation exposure of terrestrial wildlife in the Chernobyl exclusion zone: An international comparison of approaches. J Radiol Prot 30:341–373. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Assessment of risk to wildlife from ionizing radiation: Can initial screening tiers be used with a high level of confidence? J Radiol Prot 30:265–281. , , , , , ,
- 1998. The IMBA suite: Integrated modules for bioassay analysis. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 79:107–110. , , , ,
- 2008. The ERICA tool. J Environ Radioact 99:1371–1383. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Issues around radiological protection of the environment and its integration with protection of humans: Promoting debate on the way forward. J Radiol Prot 27:391–404.
- 2007. Protection of the environment from exposure to ionizing radiation. In: Shaw G, editor. Radioactivity in the environment. Amsterdam: Elsevier. p 239–264. , , , ,
- 2010. Considerations for the integration of human and wildlife radiological assessments. J Radiol Prot 30:283–297. , ,
- 1993. Federal Guidance Report No. 12. External exposure to radionuclides in air water and soil. USEPA. EPA-402-R-93-081. ,
- [EFSA], European Food Safety Authority. 2012. The EFSA Comprehensive European Food Consumption Database. [cited 2011 April 12]. Available from: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/datexfoodcdb/datexfooddb.htm
- 2011. Application of an environmental impact assessment methodology to a site discharging low levels of radioactivity to a freshwater environment in Norway. Environ Monit Assess 173:653–667. , , , ,
- 1993. Absorption of environmental Polonium-210 by the human gut. J Radiol Prot 13:119–126. ,
- [IAEA] International Atomic Energy Agency. 1992. Effects of ionizing radiation on plants and animals at levels implied by current radiation protection standards. Technical Report Series No. 332 Vienna: IAEA
- [IAEA] International Atomic Energy Agency. 2001. Generic models for use in assessing the impact of discharges of radioactive substances to the environment. Safety Report Series No. 19. Vienna: IAEA
- [IAEA]. International Atomic Energy Agency. 2010. Handbook of parameter values for the prediction of radionuclide transfer in terrestrial and freshwater environments. IAEA Technical Report Series No. 472. Vienna: IAEA
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 1979. Limits of intakes of radionuclides by workers: Part 1. ICRP Publication 30. Oxford (UK): Pergamon
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 1988. Limits of intakes of radionuclides by workers: Part 4. ICRP Publication 30. Oxford (UK): Pergamon.
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 1993. Age-dependent doses to members of the public from intake of radionuclides: Part 2. ICRP Publication 67. Oxford (UK): Pergamon
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 1996. Age-dependent doses to members of the public from intake of radionuclides: Part 5. Compilation of ingestion and inhalation dose coefficients. ICRP Publication 72. Ann ICRP 26.
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 2007. The 2007 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 103. Ann ICRP 37.
- [ICRP] International Commission on Radiological Protection. 2008. Environmental protection: the concept and use of reference animals and plants. ICRP Publication 108. Ann ICRP 38.
- 1985. Dose-rate conversion factors for external exposure to photon emitters in soil. Health Phys 48:193–205. ,
- 2008. An overview of the ERICA Integrated Approach to the assessment and management of environmental risks from ionizing contaminants. J Environ Radioact 99:1364–1370.
- 2005. A step-by-step procedure to aid the assessment of intake and doses from measurement data. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 114:491–508. , ,
- [NCRP] National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements. 1991. Effects of ionizing radiation on aquatic organisms NCRP Report No. 109. Bethesda (MD): NCRP. 115 p.
- 2011. Background and anthropogenic radionuclide derived dose rates to freshwater ecosystem—Nuclear power plant cooling pond—Reference organisms. J Environ Radioact 102:788–795. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Radiation protection of people and the environment: Developing a common approach. J Radiol Prot 22:1–12.
- 2009. Radioecology, radiobiology, and radiological protection: Frameworks and fractures. J Environ Radioact 100:1019–1026.
- 2010. Impacts on non-human biota from a generic geological disposal facility for radioactive waste: some key assessment issues. J Radiol Prot 30:161–173. , ,
- 2007. Ecological risk assessment. 2nd ed. Boca Raton (FL): CRC.
- 2003. Framework for the integration of health and exological risk assessment. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 9:281–302. , , ,
- 2004. Absorbed dose rate conversion coefficients for reference biota for external photon and internal exposures. J Radiol Prot 24:A35–A62. , ,
- 2008. Methods for calculating dose conversion coefficients for terrestrial and aquatic biota. J Environ Radioact 99:1440–1448. , ,
- [USDOE] United States Department of Energy. 2002. A graded approach for evaluating radiation doses to aquatic and terrestrial biota. Technical Standard DOE-STD-1153-2002. Washington DC: USDOE.
- [WHO] World Health Organization. 2001. Report on integrated risk assessment. WHO/IPCS/IRA/01/12. Geneva (CH): WHO.