Dempster-Shafer theory applied to regulatory decision process for selecting safer alternatives to toxic chemicals in consumer products
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2013
© 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 12–21, January 2014
How to Cite
Park, S. J., Ogunseitan, O. A. and Lejano, R. P. (2014), Dempster-Shafer theory applied to regulatory decision process for selecting safer alternatives to toxic chemicals in consumer products. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 10: 12–21. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1460
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 JUN 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2012
- Research and Education in Green Materials
- University of California Toxic Substances Research and Teaching Program. Grant Number: UC-44157
- 2001. An expert system for multi-criteria decision making using Dempster Shafer theory. Expert Syst Appl 20:357–367. , ,
- 2012. Comments on “Lack of androgenicity and estrogenicity of the three monomers used in Eastman's Tritan copolyesters” by Osimitz et al. (2012). [cited 2012 August 16]. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.06.038 ,
- 1995. Xenoestrogens released from lacquer coatings in food cans. Environ Health Perspect 103:608–612. , , , ,
- 1962. Silent Spring. New York (NY): Houghton Mifflin. 368 pp.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2009. Fourth national report on human exposure to environmental chemicals. Atlanta (GA): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Center for Environmental Health; Division of. Laboratory Sciences.
- CQ Researcher. 2010. Issues for debate in environmental management: Selections from CQ Researcher. Thousand Oaks, California: SAGE Publication. 448 pp.
- 1999. The effectiveness of DDT against vector-borne disease. Washington DC, United States: SCOPE Malaria Research and Policy Forum.
- 1967. A generalization of Bayesian inference. J R Stat Soc 30:205–247.
- 2002. Differential sensitivity of children and adults to chemical toxicity: II. Risk and regulation. Regul Toxicol Pharm 35:448–467. , ,
- 1995. Estrogens in unexpected places: Possible implications for researchers and consumers. Environ Health Perspect 103(Suppl 7):129–133. ,
- 2011. Evidential reasoning approach to fraud risk assessment under Dempster-Shafer theory: A general framework. In: System Sciences (HICSS), 2011 44th Hawaii International Conference, January 4–7, 2011 at Manoa, Hawaii, 1–10. , ,
- 2004. Handbook of MTBE and other gasoline oxygenates. Boac Raton, Florida: CRC Press. 381 pp. ,
- 2004. An exploration of alternative approaches to the representation of uncertainty in model predictions. Reliab Eng Syst Safe 85:39–71. , ,
- 1990. Risk, science and politics: Alachlor regulation in Canada and the United States. Can J Political Sci 23:257–277.
- 2001. Toxicity and risk: context, principles and practice. London and New York: Taylor & Francis. 154 pp.
- [IRIS] Integrated Risk Information System. 2011. Bisphenol A. (CASRN 80-05-7). [cited 2011 December 13]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0356.htm
- 2009. The effects of bisphenol A (BPA) on ErbB2 positive breast cancer [Thesis]. Birmingham (AL): Univ of Alabama at Birmingham. ,
- 1988. The social amplification of risk: A conceptual framework. Risk Anal 8:177–187. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Measurement of bisphenol A concentrations in human colostrums. Chemosphere 66:1160–1164. , , ,
- 2010. Daily intake of bisphenol A and potential sources of exposure: 2005–2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 21:272–279. ,
- 2010. Chemical alternatives assessment: Enabling substitution to safer chemicals. Environ Sci Technol 44:9244–9249. , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Weight-of-evidence evaluation in environmental assessment: Review of qualitative and quantitative approaches. Sci Total Environ 407:5199–5205. , , , ,
- 2013. Use of multi-criteria decision analysis in regulatory alternatives analysis: A case study of lead free solder. Integr Environ Assess Manag 9:652–664. , , ,
- 2004. MTBE: A precautionary tale. Harvard Environ Law 28:281–342.
- 2009. Why public health agencies cannot depend on good laboratory practices as a criterion for selecting data: The case of bisphenol A. Environ Health Perspect 117:309–315. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- [NAS] National Academy of Science. 2009. Science and Decisions Advancing Risk Assessment. Committee on Improving Risk Analysis Approaches Used by the USEPA board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology. National Academies Press. [cited 2013 January 13]. Available from: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12209
- 2007. Long-term adverse effects of neonatal exposure to bisphenol A on the murine female reproductive tract. Reprod Toxicol 24:253–258. , ,
- [NTP] National Toxicology Program. 2008. NTP-CERHR Monograph on the potential human reproductive and developmental effects of Bisphenol-A: US Department of Health and Human Services. Center for The Evaluation of Risks To Human Reproduction. [cited 2012 February 14]. Available from: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/ohat/bisphenol/bisphenol.pdf
- Official California Legislative Information. 2011. S.B. 797 Product Safety: Bisphenol A. [cited 2011 December 13]. Available from: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0751-0800/sb_797_bill_20100831_history.html
- 1999. Environmental legislation. In: Hall TL, editor. Legal guide. Pasadena (CA): Salem Press. pp. 301–305.
- 2003. Framing environmental change in Africa: Cross-scale institutional constraints on progressing from rhetoric to action against vulnerability. Global Environ Change 13:101–111.
- 2007. Public health and environmental benefits of adopting lead-free solders. JOM 59:12–17.
- 2012. Human health and ecotoxicological considerations in materials selection for sustainable product development. Mater Res Soc Bull 37:356–363. ,
- 2012. Lack of androgenicity and estrogenicity of the three monomers used in Eastman's Tritan copolyesters. Food Chem Toxicol 50:2196–2250. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. DDT house spraying and re-emerging malaria. Lancet 356:330–332. , ,
- 2006. Alternative assessment framework of the Lowell Center for Sustainable Production. [cited 2012 August 15]. Available from: http://www.chemicalspolicy.org/downloads/FinalAltsAssess06.pdf , ,
- 2002. Combination of evidence in Dempster-Shafer theory. [cited 2013 April 3]. Available from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.122.7929&rep=rep1&type=pdf ,
- 1976. A mathematical theory of evidence. Princeton (MA): Princeton Univ Press. 297 pp.
- 2002. Dempster-Shafer theory. [cited 2011 December 19]. Available from: http://www.glennshafer.com/assets/downloads/articles/article48.pdf
- 2002. Modeling financial portfolios using belief functions. In: Srivastava RP, Mock T, editors. Belief functions in business decisions. New York (NY): Physical-Verlag. pp. 316–332. ,
- 1999. Trust, emotion, sex, politics and science: Surveying the risk-assessment battlefield. Risk Anal 19:689–701.
- 2006. An information systems security risk assessment model under the Dempster-Shafer theory of belief functions. J Manage Inform Syst 22:109–142. , ,
- 2007. Bisphenol A exposure in utero disrupts early oogenesis in the mouse. PLoS Genet 3:63–70. , , ,
- 2004. Positive relationship between androgen and the endocrine disruptor, bisphenol A, in normal women and women with ovarian dysfunction. Endocr J 51:165–169. , , , ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2012. Setting tolerances for pesticide residues in foods. [cited on 2013 March 30]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/stprf.htm#tolerances
- 1997. Prostate enlargement in mice due to fetal exposure to low doses of estradiol or diethylstilbestrol and opposite effects at high doses. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:2056–2061. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. MTBE in petrol as a substitute for lead. In: Poul H, Harremoes P, Gee D, MacGarvin M, Stirling A, Keys J, Wynne B, Guedes Vaz S (editors). Late lessons from early warnings: The precautionary principles 1896–2000. [cited 2011 December 19]. Available from: http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/environmental_issue_report_2001_22/Issue_Report_No_22.pdf ,
- 2006. Bisphenol A facilitates bypass of androgen ablation therapy in prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Ther 5:3181–3190. , , , , , , , , ,
- [WHO] World Health Organization. 2011. DDT in Indoor residual spraying: Human health aspects. [cited 2011 December 20]. Available from: http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/ehc/ehc241.pdf
- 1987. On the Dempster-Shafer framework and new combination rules. Inform Sci 41:93–137.
- 1995. USEPA regulatory perspectives on the use of QSAR for new and existing chemical evaluations. SAR QSAR Environ Res 3:179–201. , , , ,