Life Cycle & Sustainability
Understanding the impacts of allocation approaches during process-based life cycle assessment of water treatment chemicals
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2013
© 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 87–94, January 2014
How to Cite
Alvarez-Gaitan, J. P., Peters, G. M., Short, M. D., Schulz, M. and Moore, S. (2014), Understanding the impacts of allocation approaches during process-based life cycle assessment of water treatment chemicals. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 10: 87–94. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1479
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 AUG 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2013
- Formas. Grant Number: 2012-1122
- [ACCC] Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. 2009. State of the energy market. [cited 2011 January 30]. Available from: http://transition.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/904614
- 2007. Ecoinvent Report No 8. Life cycle inventories of chemicals. [cited 2012 June 14]. Available from: http://www.ecoinvent.ch/ , , , , , ,
- 2013. A hybrid life cycle assessment of water treatment chemicals: An Australian experience. Int J Life Cycle Assess 18:1291–1301. , , , ,
- 2011. Sustainability of water and wastewater treatment chemicals: Development of Australian life cycle inventory data. In: Proceedings of the 7th Australian Life Cycle Assessment Conference—Revealing the secrets of a green market; 2011 March 9-10; Melbourne. , ,
- 2007. Declaration by the metals industry on recycling principles. Int J Life Cycle Assess 12:59–60.
- [AWWA] American Water Works Association. 2011. Operational control of coagulation and filtration processes. Denver (CO): AWWA.
- 1998. Exergy, waste accounting, and life-cycle analysis. Energy 23:355–363. , ,
- 2011. Exergy efficiency in industry: Where do we stand? Environ Sci Technol 45:10634–10641. , ,
- 2003. Integrated environmental assessment of tertiary and residuals treatment—LCA in the wastewater industry. Water Sci Technol 47:109–116. ,
- 2005. Eco-profiles of the European Plastics Industry. Chlorine. Brussels Belgium: Plastics Europe.
- 1987. Our common future: United Nations Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development. General Assembly Resolution 42/187, 11 December, Oxford University Press.
- Curran MA. 2007. Studying the Effect on System Preference by Varying Coproduct Allocation in Creating Life-Cycle Inventory. Environmental Science & Technology 41(20):7145–7151.
- 2012. Energy: Production, conversion, storage, conservation and coupling. London: Springer-Verlag. 232 p.
- 2002. The role of exergy in energy policy making. Energy Policy 30:137–149.
- [DSEWPC] Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. 2011. NPI facility data 2007/2008. [cited 2012 September 20]. Available from: http://www.npi.gov.au/
- [EIPPCB] European Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control Bureau. 2005. Additional information submitted during the information exchange on large volume inorganic chemicals—solids and others industry. [cited 2012 June 13]. Available from: http://eippcb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/reference/BREF/info_exchange_LVIC-S.pdf
- [EIPPCB] European Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control Bureau. 2007. Reference document on best available techniques for the manufacture of large volume inorganic chemicals—solids and others industry. [cited 2012 March 12]. Available from: http://eippcb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/reference/BREF/lvic-s_bref_0907.pdf
- [EIPPCB] European Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control Bureau. 2013. Best Available Techniques (BAT) reference document for the production of chlor-alkali. [cited 2013 July 12]. Available from: http://eippcb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/reference/BREF/CAK_15_08-04-2013bw.pdf
- 2001. Allocation in ISO 14041—A critical review. J Clean Prod 9:197–208. ,
- 1997. Open-loop recycling: Criteria for allocation procedures. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 2(3):155–162. ,
- FMC Corporation. 2000. Soda ash, storage options and technical data. [cited 2012 July 13]. Available from: http://www.fmcchemicals.com/Portals/chem/Content/Docs/Soda%20Ash%20Documents/SodaAshStorageHandling.pdf
- FMC Corporation. 2004. Soda ash applications. [cited 2012 July 17]. Available from: http://www.fmcchemicals.com/Portals/chem/Content/Docs/products/Sodaashapps.pdf
- 2000. Allocation in life cycle inventory analysis for joint production. Int J Life Cycle Assess 5:85–95.
- 2004. Economic allocation: Examples and derived decision tree. Int J Life Cycle Assess 9:23–33. , ,
- [ICIS] Integrated Cadastral Information Society. 2012. Indicative chemical prices. [cited 2012 September 12]. Available from: http://www.icis.com/chemicals/channel-info-chemicals-a-z/
- [ILCD] International Reference Life Cycle Data System. 2010. European Commission-Joint Research Centre-Institute for Environment and Sustainability. General guide for Life Cycle Assessment—Detailed guidance. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2006. Environmental management-Life Cycle assessment—Requirements and guidelines. 14044: 2006.
- 2013. Review of methods addressing freshwater use in life cycle inventory and impact assessment. Int J Life Cycle Assess 18:707–721. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Managing CO2 emissions in the chemical industry. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH Verlag.
- 2004. Life cycle assessment for sustainable metropolitan water systems planning. Environ Sci Technol 38:3465–3473. , ,
- Orica Watercare. 2013. Liquid caustic soda. [cited 2013 July 4]. Available from: http://orica-watercare.com/?page=43
- PE International. 2011. GaBi database and modelling principles 2011. [cited 2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.gabi-software.com/fileadmin/gabi/documentation5/GaBi_5_Modelling_Principles.pdf
- PE International. 2012. GaBi Software, version 5. Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany
- 2011. An ecological economic critique of the use of market information in life cycle assessment research. J Ind Ecol 15:342–354. ,
- 2010. ILCD Handbook Public Consultation Workshop. Int J Life Cycle Assess 15:231–237. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Popularize or publish? Growth in Australia. Int J Life Cycle Assess 14:503–507.
- 2005. Life cycle assessment of water production technologies—Part 1: Life cycle assessment of different commercial desalination technologies. Int J Life Cycle Assess 10:285–293. , ,
- 2008. A survey of unresolved problems in life cycle assessment. Part 1: Goal and scope and inventory analysis. Int J Life Cycle Assess 13:290–300. , , ,
- 1998. Caustic soda: Outlook for Asia. [cited 2012 August 18]. Available from: http://www.chemlink.com.au/caustic_asia98.pdf
- 2012. A streamlined sustainability assessment tool for improved decision making in the urban water industry. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:183–193. , ,
- 1982. Solidification/stabilization processes appropriate to hazardous chemicals and waste spills. Milwaukee (WI): Hazardous Material Spills. pp 79–84. , ,
- 2004. Chlorine gas vs sodium hypochlorite. In: 67th Annual Water Industry Engineers and Operators Conference, Wodonga, Australia. September 1 and 2. Available from: http://www.wioa.org.au/conference_papers/2004/pdf/2wioa2004.pdf
- 2008. LCA tool for the environmental evaluation of potable water production. Desalination 220:37–56. , , ,
- 2000. Avoiding co-product allocation in life-cycle assessment. J Ind Ecol 4:11–33.
- 2010. Avoiding allocation in life cycle assessment revisited. J Ind Ecol 14:192–195. ,
- 1999. The handbook of chlorination and alternatives disinfectants. 4th ed. Hoboken (NJ): Wiley. 109 p.
- Worldsteel Association. 2011. Methodology report—Life cycle inventory study for steel products. [cited 2012 July 13]. Available from: http://worldsteel.org/dms/internetDocumentList/bookshop/LCA-Methodology-Report/document/LCA%20Methodology%20Report.pdf
- [WRF] Water Research Foundation. 2009. Supply of critical drinking water and wastewater treatment chemicals—A white paper for understanding recent chemical price increases and shortages. [cited 2013 April 23]. Available from: http://www.waterrf.org/Pages/Projects.aspx?PID=4225