Environmental Policy & Regulation
Maximizing the accuracy of field-derived numeric nutrient criteria in water quality regulations
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2013
© 2013 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 133–137, January 2014
How to Cite
McLaughlin, D. B. (2014), Maximizing the accuracy of field-derived numeric nutrient criteria in water quality regulations. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 10: 133–137. doi: 10.1002/ieam.1485
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 OCT 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2013
- 2008. Using field data and weight of evidence to develop water quality criteria. Integr Environ Assess Manag 4:490–504. , , , , ,
- 2013. Derivation of a benchmark for freshwater ionic strength. Environ Toxicol Chem 32:263–271. , ,
- [FDEP] Florida Department of Environmental Protection. 2008. TMDL Report: Total maximum daily load for nutrients for the Lower St Johns River. Tallahassee (FL): FDEP.
- 2008. CProb: A computational tool for conducting conditional probability analysis. J Environ Qual 37:2392–2396. , ,
- 2012a. Estimating the designated use attainment decision error rates of US Environmental Protection Agency's proposed numeric total phosphorus criteria for Florida, USA, colored lakes. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:167–174.
- 2012b. Assessing the predictive performance of risk-based water quality criteria using decision error estimates from ROC analysis. Integr Environ Assess Manag 8:674–684.
- 2011. Efficacy of monitoring and empirical predictive modeling at improving public health protection at Chicago beaches. Water Res 45:1659–1668. ,
- 2005. Development of empirical, geographically specific water quality criteria: A conditional probability analysis approach. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41:1211–1223. ,
- 2003. Use of receiver operating characteristic curves to evaluate sediment quality guidelines for metals. Environ Toxicol Chem 22:1642–1648. , ,
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Nutrient criteria technical guidance manual: Rivers and streams EPA-822-B-00-002. Washington DC: USEPA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Guidance for quality assurance project plans for modeling (EPA QA/G-5M). EPA/240/R-02/007. Washington DC: USEPA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2006. Guidance on systematic planning using the data quality objectives process (EPA QA/G-4). EPA/240/B-06/001. Washington DC: USEPA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2007. Memo from Assistant Administrator Benjamin Grumbles re: nutrient pollution and numeric water quality standards. Available from: http://www2.epa.gov/nutrient-policy-data/nutrient-pollution-and-numeric-water-quality-standards-may-2007-update-memo
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2008. Nutrient criteria technical guidance manual: Wetlands. EPA/822/B/08/001. Washington DC: USEPA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2009. Guidance on the development, evaluation, and application of environmental models. EPA/100/K-09/003. Washington DC: USEPA.
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. Letter to the Honorable Lisa P. Jackson re: SAB review of empirical approaches for nutrient criteria derivation, April 27, 2010. Available from: http://yosemite.epa.gov/sab/sabproduct.nsf/0/e09317ec14cb3f2b85257713004bed5f/$FILE/EPA-SAB-10-006-unsigned.pdf
- [USEPA] US Environmental Protection Agency. 2011. A field-based aquatic life benchmark for conductivity in central Appalachian streams EPA/600/R-10/023F. Cincinnati (OH): USEPA.